Jet #2 Post-game thread

Oswlek

Reaction score
NE deserved to lose, after looking like a high school team for the entire third quarter. But I have no interest in an NFL product that can be decided in that manner. I'm sure this self-impose ban will end at some point, but for now, I'm out.

I would put my hand on your back in comfort HS, but the refs might flag me for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Everything about the last 40 minutes of that game was grotesque

I thought most every Pats player was giving really good effort and playing well. Unfortunately, the single most important player for the Pats was off his game for the 6th time this year and doesn't seem to even know it.

I thought most every Pats player was giving really good effort and playing well. Unfortunately, the single most important player for the Pats was off his game for the 6th time this year and doesn't seem to even know it.

I don't agree that "most every" player was playing well, but I didn't see anybody dogging it, certainly.

Rather than focus on the negative I'd say that Gronk played really well despite only 8 on 17 targets. It's the couldabeen TD that will stick in people's minds, but he looked fast and other than simply not using his left arm to try and haul that one in-- I thought that one looked really strange-- looked fine, really. A number of those targets were off-target, if you will. Not on Gronkowski.

I thought McCourty and the corners played well and Logan Ryan had a ton of snaps, acquitted himself quite well and the pick 6 was tremendous.

I've felt for several weeks that we could have buried an opponent in the first half and were just a play here and there from doing so. It's driving me nuts.

We still haven't played a wire-to-wire solid game or really been close to doing so.

Chandler Jones had a lot of nice plays.

I also thought BB missed a chance to challenge the spot on the "1st down" that Geno was given on the left sideline. I swear it was a yard short of the sticks, but nobody seemed to notice and it could have made a difference. I'm pretty sure that could have been challenged. Either Buchanan lost contain badly or he wasn't supposed to worry about it on that same play. I don't really know, but Smith had clear sailing.

I would've loved to see a different angle on that one, but won't cry over spilt milk. The Jets won the game and deserved to win.

I'm not going to whine about the call. It's in the rule book and the kid didn't execute and it's not like we didn't have two dozen other opportunities to put them away.

It's just tough to swallow.

I also thought BB missed a chance to challenge the spot on the "1st down" that Geno was given on the left sideline. I swear it was a yard short of the sticks, but nobody seemed to notice and it could have made a difference.
Yeah I was pretty stunned BB didn't challenge that.

According to Pereira, it is.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...new-england-patriots-new-york-jets-gme-102013

SHARE THIS STORY

UPDATED OCT 20, 2013 5:51 PM ET

How about this: The first time a penalty has been called in the history of the National Football League turns out to be a game-deciding penalty.

Here was the situation: The New York Jets lined up to take a 56-yard field goal on fourth-and-7 in overtime. The kick goes wide left, but a penalty is called on New England’s defensive tackle Chris Jones for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Patriots" width="600" />

The series is extended and the Jets end up hitting a game-winning field goal four plays later.

For the 2013 season, the league looked at extra points and field goal tries as they were concerned about the safety of offensive linemen who are blocking the defenders.

The league made two adjustments:

• First they said the defensive team could not overload one side of the center with more than six players.

• They then addressed a situation that they had been talking about for years when they decided to not allow the defensive team to push one of their teammates into the offensive formation.

It makes no difference where you are originally lined up - Rule 9-1-3, the new rule, says "Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation." That’s exactly what happened in this play.

I’m sure the league would rather the first call in history of this rule would not have been at this point in the game with these ramifications, but it is the rule. It’s a player safety rule that was put in to protect offensive linemen.

Brady just looked to me like he was so locked on to Gronk that nothing else mattered and nobody else was out there. When he did decide to look elsewhere, he over/under threw so many it's hard to keep count. Did the Jets D get into his head? The OLine was terrible on several plays so that didn't help.

I will give credit where credit is due - the Front D for the Jets were beasts today. Our run D was not terrible (considering the missing pieces) but can we please get Gregory "I hit but don't wrap defenders" out of there? He's just simply awful and Arrington sucked too today.

Something just seemed off about the whole game:shrug:

I have read that the rule states that you cannot push a player on the LOS into the offensive formation. BB is aware of the rule but thought it only applied to if you were in the 2nd level, which refers to multiple men being stacked behind one side of the kick behind the LOS since when the refs introduced the rule to coaches, the tape they showed were examples of 2nd level type infractions.

This was the 3rd game this year Brady completed less than 50% of his passes. It was definitely not on the receivers today. Brady went 4 for 20 on passes > 10 yds. 10 freaking yards!! smh

Yeah, I just searched the rulebook and there's no stipulation in there that the rule only applies to players who are not on the line of scrimmage. Just says that Team B players can't push their team mates into team A.

It was a repeat of whenever they lose to the Jets.. Shitty turnover, getting owned in the trenches, lack of execution, Jets come out swinging in the second half, etc. We've seen this before but the refs will overshadow it.

Brady just looked to me like he was so locked on to Gronk that nothing else mattered and nobody else was out there. 100% agree and IMO it hurt them offensively by being too one dimensional...

I will give credit where credit is due - the Front D for the Jets were beasts today. I also agree the Jets defensive front were playing like a Ring was on the line...Something just seemed off about the whole game:shrug:Rex has a tendency to work up a defensive game plan that gives Brady troubles most of the time... I think its his D breaking up the Toms Timing..
:shrug:

Yep, exactly.

This season won't go anywhere if Brady doesn't fix himself.

There's still time, of course, but the clock's ticking.

According to Pereira, it is.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...new-england-patriots-new-york-jets-gme-102013

SHARE THIS STORY

UPDATED OCT 20, 2013 5:51 PM ET

How about this: The first time a penalty has been called in the history of the National Football League turns out to be a game-deciding penalty.

Here was the situation: The New York Jets lined up to take a 56-yard field goal on fourth-and-7 in overtime. The kick goes wide left, but a penalty is called on New England’s defensive tackle Chris Jones for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Patriots" width="600" />

The series is extended and the Jets end up hitting a game-winning field goal four plays later.

For the 2013 season, the league looked at extra points and field goal tries as they were concerned about the safety of offensive linemen who are blocking the defenders.

The league made two adjustments:

• First they said the defensive team could not overload one side of the center with more than six players.

• They then addressed a situation that they had been talking about for years when they decided to not allow the defensive team to push one of their teammates into the offensive formation.

It makes no difference where you are originally lined up - Rule 9-1-3, the new rule, says "Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation." That’s exactly what happened in this play.

I’m sure the league would rather the first call in history of this rule would not have been at this point in the game with these ramifications, but it is the rule. It’s a player safety rule that was put in to protect offensive linemen.

And this is why I'm pissed. There had been nearly 100 games played this season before this one, making for probably better than 500 snaps where the new rule could have been applied and I HAVE seen other players commit much more egregious violations of this rule than what Jones did. Officials had numerous opportunities to establish, by example, the criteria for such a flag well before it came in a game-changing situation. BUT THEY DID NOT DO SO.

So this, "they would rather" ... "it's unfortunate that the first enforcement had to happen under these circumstances" ... etc. is unmitigated BULLSHIT. And Goodell is goddamn close to losing an NFL customer of nearly 50 years because of such crap.

Time of Possession:

Pats 23:40
Jets 46:13

Converting 1 of 12 3rd down attempts will do that to a team. 8%.
Jets converted 11 of 21, 52%.

<table class="shsTable shsBorderTable" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="shsTableTtlRow"><td> </td> <td class="pfbTeam17"> New England</td> <td class="pfbTeam20"> NY Jets</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow0Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol">First Downs</td> <td class="shsTotD">21</td> <td class="shsTotD">27</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow1Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol"> Rushing</td> <td class="shsTotD">6</td> <td class="shsTotD">11</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow0Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol"> Passing</td> <td class="shsTotD">12</td> <td class="shsTotD">13</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow1Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol"> Penalty</td> <td class="shsTotD">3</td> <td class="shsTotD">3</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow0Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol">3rd Down Efficiency</td> <td class="shsTotD">1-12, 8%</td> <td class="shsTotD">11-21, 52%</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow1Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol">4th down efficiency</td> <td class="shsTotD">1-1, 100%</td> <td class="shsTotD">0-0, -%</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow0Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol">Red-Zone Efficiency</td> <td class="shsTotD">2-2, 100%</td> <td class="shsTotD">2-4, 50%</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow1Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol">Goal-To-Go Efficiency</td> <td class="shsTotD">1-1, 100%</td> <td class="shsTotD">1-1, 100%</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow0Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol">Total Net Yards</td> <td class="shsTotD">295</td> <td class="shsTotD">383</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow1Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol"> Total Plays</td> <td class="shsTotD">70</td> <td class="shsTotD">89</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow0Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol"> Yards/Play</td> <td class="shsTotD">4.2</td> <td class="shsTotD">4.3</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow1Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol">Net Rushing Yards</td> <td class="shsTotD">90</td> <td class="shsTotD">177</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow0Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol"> Rushes</td> <td class="shsTotD">20</td> <td class="shsTotD">52</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow1Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol"> Yards/Carry</td> <td class="shsTotD">4.5</td> <td class="shsTotD">3.4</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow0Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol"> Rushing TDs</td> <td class="shsTotD">2</td> <td class="shsTotD">1</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow1Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol">Net Passing Yards</td> <td class="shsTotD">205</td> <td class="shsTotD">206</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow0Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol"> Comp-Att-Int</td> <td class="shsTotD">22-46-1</td> <td class="shsTotD">17-33-1</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow1Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol"> Yards/Attempt</td> <td class="shsTotD">4.1</td> <td class="shsTotD">5.6</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow0Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol"> Passing TDs</td> <td class="shsTotD">0</td> <td class="shsTotD">1</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow1Row"> <td class="shsNamD shs1stCol"> Sack-Yds</td> <td class="shsTotD">4-23</td> <td class="shsTotD">4-27</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://stats.boston.com/fb/boxscore.asp?gamecode=20131020020&home=20&vis=17&final=true#

Those TOP and 3rd down conversion stats should come with a warning to protect the children.

Back