Jets Offense is really scary!...

Rich Cimini seems pretty upbeat about the unit. :shrug:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Statistically, it was an off-the-charts game for Mark Sanchez -- a pair of touchdown passes, no turnovers and a 121.5 passer rating. On a night in which his Cincinnati Bengals counterparts handled the ball like a wet bar of soap, Sanchez was money.

"Like I told him, 'Too bad it's not the regular season,'" Rex Ryan said after the New York Jets' 27-7 victory Sunday night at a water-logged New Meadowlands Stadium.

But here's the thing: The Jets also expect it in the regular season.

The team that brought you Ground & Pound in 2009 and 2010 suddenly believes it has the potential to be the Greatest Show of Turf. Well, maybe not the greatest, but definitely one of the most potent passing attacks in the league.

Plaxico Burress' impressive debut, highlighted by his circus touchdown catch, has fueled the Jets' optimism. The additions of Burress and Derrick Mason, combined with Santonio Holmes' return and Sanchez's extra year of experience, have them thinking they can do some serious damage on the scoreboard.

"We have a great defense -- we know that -- and I'm challenging our offense to score 28, 30 points a game," said Burress, who caught three for 66 yards, including a 26-yard touchdown grab. "I believe it's something we can do. We definitely have all the weapons to do so."

In case you're wondering, the Jets averaged 23 points per game last season, good for 13th in the league. It's quite a jump from 23 to 28, but to listen to Burress and Holmes, you'd think it's a gimme.

"It's going to be a long season for whatever defense comes up to play us," Holmes said.

On this night, against an under-rated Cincinnati defense, the Jets made all things seem possible.

There was Sanchez starting the game with a 20-yard strike to Burress, who played like it was 2007. There was Sanchez (12-for-20, 173 yards) a few minutes later, recognizing a soft Cover-2 defense and finding Holmes on a skinny post for a 16-yard touchdown.

"That was probably a terrible call by them, and a great call by us," Holmes said.

After a slow start on third down (0-for-6), the Jets perked up before halftime, with Sanchez directing a 10-play, 99-yard touchdown drive. The turning point was a 43-yard completion to a wide-open Dustin Keller, who later made a key third-down catch to set up the Burress touchdown.

Despite no running game, Sanchez was in command, spreading the ball to five different receivers. They did it without Mason (knee), whom Sanchez called "the glue" to the receiving corps because of his 15 years in the league.

"We've got a lot of weapons," Ryan said. "I think it's going to be something when you put Plaxico out there with Santonio and Derrick Mason. That's going to be a special group, I think."

Burress stole the headlines in his first game, making the kind of catch he probably dreamed about during his 20-month prison sentence. The man caught the game-winning pass in a Super Bowl, so he wasn't about to get too giddy about a preseason moment, but you could tell it meant a lot to him.

On a degree-of-difficulty scale of 1 to 10, Holmes gave it a 15. It was a back-to-the-quarterback, diving-into-the-end zone grab -- in driving rain, no less. That it came on a route adjustment, his response to a blitz pick-up, made it all the more impressive.

Before the snap, Sanchez recognized a blitz and barked a signal to Burress, who was matched against backup cornerback Fred Bennett. The Bengals were in Cover-Zero, meaning the cornerback had no safety help.

"It was one of those deals where you say, 'My guy is better than your guy, let's go play basketball,'" said Burress, who adjusted his route and ran a perfect fade.

Sanchez put up his shot, with blitzing corner Rico Murray in his face. Burress pushed off a bit -- so Bennett claimed afterward -- and slammed it home.

"He knew exactly what was coming with the pressure," Sanchez said of Burress, who missed nearly two weeks of practice because of a sprained ankle. "He has picked up the offense fast. To make that adjustment, it takes younger guys a long time to do. But he's been doing it so long, he knew exactly where to go."

It's not going to go like this every week. This is an old receiving corps with Burress, 34, and Mason, 36, and that's always a risky proposition. But if they stay on the field, who knows?

"This," Burress said, "is the tip of the iceberg."

That seems like quite the optimistic article. Of course, I'd love for it to hold true. The Jets have the POTENTIAL to have a powerful offense....but it has quite a few question marks

I found this quote interesting:

There was Sanchez starting the game with a 20-yard strike to Burress, who played like it was 2007. There was Sanchez (12-for-20, 173 yards) a few minutes later, recognizing a soft Cover-2 defense and finding Holmes on a skinny post for a 16-yard touchdown.

"That was probably a terrible call by them, and a great call by us," Holmes said.

It is pretty well known that preseason playcalls often leave something to be desired. In fact, good coaches will purposely make a tough call just to see how the defense reacts.

I find it suprising that Holmes discusses it in such a manner considering the circumstances.

I still agree with you that the passing success will come down to Sanchez, not the weaponry. And there is no way in hell they'll be that successful passing unless the running game steps it up a few notches.

You know, the one thing I hate about points scored and points allowed as a measure of a unit's efficiency is that they count defensive & ST scores as points per game for the offense and they count pick sixes thrown by the QB as PA against the defense.
I'd like to see them incorporate some measure of starting field position as well. I know there are sites that do just this, I mean as a normal way of doing things for official purposes.

I found this quote interesting:

It is pretty well known that preseason playcalls often leave something to be desired. In fact, good coaches will purposely make a tough call just to see how the defense reacts.

I find it suprising that Holmes discusses it in such a manner considering the circumstances.

I still agree with you that the passing success will come down to Sanchez, not the weaponry. And there is no way in hell they'll be that successful passing unless the running game steps it up a few notches.

I agree with you about the play calling in pre season. Holmes really should have just not commented

how so ? Why would I worry about it now ? I have never put a ton of stock into pre-season
It was just a tweak on your comment that you will worry about it in two weeks. I took that to mean you would do your worrying when the season started, and agreed with you, feeling that there would be a lot of worry once the season started.

gettng serious for a moment, I don't put much stock in preseason wins and losses and am skeptical of rookies who flash in preseason, but there are things you can take away. I have a hard time judging level of ability because some teams scheme and some go vanilla, there are odd combinations of starters and backups playing. On the other hand, I CAN see who has a high motor, who can tackle. I can see if a QB is accurate if he generally hits his targets in the right spot, but I cannot tell if he is inaccurate because I can't tell if he missed the receiver or if the receiver was in the wrong spot.

If a team is running the ball well in straight forward, between the tackles runs in situations where it is expected a team would run, I think highly of the running game. I discount draw plays because I don't know if the guy is good or if it was the trickery that worked. I can see how speedy a RB is, too, if he can turn the corner.

Burress looked good (saw part of the game streaming). I'm actually glad for him, just a sucker for a guy who changes his outlook on life. I'd prefer he do his best playing against teams other than the Pats, but good for him for what he is doing on and off the field. Plus I am still impressed after watching the Sports Science feature on his route running.

Rich Cimini seems pretty upbeat about the unit. :shrug:

Cimini is and always has been a very optimistic reporter. I guess he and I were watching different games. The Jets started out 0-6 on 3rd downs and looked pretty bad doing it. LdT could do nothing. It wasn't pretty. That's what I noticed.

Cimini is and always has been a very optimistic reporter. I guess he and I were watching different games. The Jets started out 0-6 on 3rd downs and looked pretty bad doing it. LdT could do nothing. It wasn't pretty. That's what I noticed.

Cimini is also the guy that told jets fans it was just a matter of time until Nnamdi signed too. He is a homer blowhard.

He seems to go back and forth, sometimes proclaiming doom and gloom, other times shitting rainbows.

That seems like quite the optimistic article. Of course, I'd love for it to hold true. The Jets have the POTENTIAL to have a powerful offense....but it has quite a few question marks

If the o-line holds up, the Jets will be fine. That's the only area where they look to have regressed, IMO.

By mid October, we'll have a better feel for it.

It was just a tweak on your comment that you will worry about it in two weeks. I took that to mean you would do your worrying when the season started, and agreed with you, feeling that there would be a lot of worry once the season started.

gettng serious for a moment, I don't put much stock in preseason wins and losses and am skeptical of rookies who flash in preseason, but there are things you can take away. I have a hard time judging level of ability because some teams scheme and some go vanilla, there are odd combinations of starters and backups playing. On the other hand, I CAN see who has a high motor, who can tackle. I can see if a QB is accurate if he generally hits his targets in the right spot, but I cannot tell if he is inaccurate because I can't tell if he missed the receiver or if the receiver was in the wrong spot.

If a team is running the ball well in straight forward, between the tackles runs in situations where it is expected a team would run, I think highly of the running game. I discount draw plays because I don't know if the guy is good or if it was the trickery that worked. I can see how speedy a RB is, too, if he can turn the corner.

Burress looked good (saw part of the game streaming). I'm actually glad for him, just a sucker for a guy who changes his outlook on life. I'd prefer he do his best playing against teams other than the Pats, but good for him for what he is doing on and off the field. Plus I am still impressed after watching the Sports Science feature on his route running.

Damn it....I wish there were something in this post I could disagree with. LOL...but yes, there is a lot we can take away from pre season on a players individual level and where they stand as rookies. I was very pleased with Plax and I loved that they went right to him to immediately calm his nerves

Cimini is overly optimistic...LT looked awful, the O line looked bad and the play on 3rd down sucked

If the o-line holds up, the Jets will be fine. That's the only area where they look to have regressed, IMO.

By mid October, we'll have a better feel for it.

I agree and that is a huge concern in Jetland (Or at least for the realistic Jet fans)

I agree and that is a huge concern in Jetland (Or at least for the realistic Jet fans)
They are going to have there hands full with Wilfork, Hayesworth, Carter & Moore. BB will only have to blitz Mayo and leave the rest in coverage.

Back