Jets Offense is really scary!...

Didn't Matt Mulligan run a steam shovel or something?

Mike Mulligan.

mike_mulligan.jpg

Still not impressed.

In fact, I think the Jets' biggest weakness this season? Depth.

A few injuries, their season is done, IMHO.

Exactly.

They have a number of dominant players and then shit kind of falls off the table at certain positions. Like, say, Vlad Ducasse.

Still.....they have had two pretty good years doing it this way. Maybe this is the year their luck runs out.

Exactly.

They have a number of dominant players and then shit kind of falls off the table at certain positions. Like, say, Vlad Ducasse.

Still.....they have had two pretty good years doing it this way. Maybe this is the year their luck runs out.

I'm waiting to see them in a regular season game before I write them off, but they ain't looking so good this far.

Holy crap. I read that one almost 50 years ago....but I can't remember how he got himself out of that pit. Did Mary Anne just dig a ramp out of the wall or was it something less obvious?

My retention sucks.

:huh:

Nope, Mary Anne became the boiler of the building for which they were digging the basement.

(I read it as a kid too)

Nope, Mary Anne became the boiler of the building for which they were digging the basement.

(I read it as a kid too)

ROFL

Well, for f#$k sakes, why couldn't they have just dug a ramp and drove themselves out? You mean Mary Anne never made it out? A Boiler? How could they do that to her? Why the hell did Mike have a steamshovel named Mary Anne?

I have a million more stupid questions and you were a kid a lot more recently so hopefully you will have more insight into this underrated staple of american kid literature, because there really isn't a whole lot to say about the offense of the NY Jets from what I can see.

Wow. Even Rich Cimini wasn't happy about that showing.

WHAT IT MEANS: So the Jets captured the Snoopy trophy as the winner of the first annual MetLife Bowl. Yawn. Based on the way his team played, Rex Ryan should punt the trophy. Forget about the final score, 17-3; the Jets’ starters were badly outplayed in the first half, outgained 224 yards to 73. The offense was a disaster, and the Jets made dumb penalties. Basically, they played like they didn’t give a hoot about the preseason.

WOE IS O: Mark Sanchez & Co. were brutal. Can you say “regression”? In seven possessions, the Jets’ starting offense punted five times, lost a fumble (Sanchez) and, somehow, saved face with a touchdown -- a 17-yard pass to Santonio Holmes. The Jets probably wouldn’t have scored the touchdown if it weren’t for Antonio Cromartie, who set up the offense at the Giants’ 35 with a 70-yard kickoff return.

Sanchez (8-for-16, 64 yards) was off his game from the outset, appearing indecisive as he made his reads. But this mess wasn’t all his fault. The pass protection was shoddy, and his receivers -- namely Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason -- couldn’t gain separation against the Giants’ cornerbacks. That could be something to watch, as Burress and Mason -- 34 and 37, respectively -- aren’t the fastest guys around.

The starters won’t play in Thursday night’s finale against the Eagles, which means the No. 1 offense scored only three touchdowns in 5½ quarters for the preseason. Blech!

DUMB & DUMBER: The Jets were undisciplined, committing five major penalties. The biggest blunder came from rookie DE Muhammad Wilkerson, who was ejected in the third quarter after taking a swing at RB Brandon Jacobs. Jacobs swung back, so he, too, was tossed. Wilkerson, whom the Jets are counting on to be a starter, deserves an earful from Ryan. That is unacceptable behavior.

But Wilkerson wasn’t the only guilty Jet. RT Wayne Hunter (unsportsmanlike conduct), S Brodney Pool (chop block on a punt), S Emanuel Cook (face mask) and CB Donald Strickland (unnecessary roughness) all committed 15-yard penalties. Shame on them.

All told, the Jets had seven penalties for 79 yards, including a holding call on WR Courtney Smith that nullified a TD run by backup QB Greg McElroy.

THE PLAX EFFECT: Burress doesn’t need to touch the ball to have an effect on the game. You saw that on Holmes’ touchdown reception. Burress lined up in the right slot, with Holmes on the outside, against the Giants’ three-by-two coverage. S Kenny Phillips rolled toward Burress, leaving Holmes in man-to-man against CB Corey Webster. Phillips tried to get back, but it was too late. Holmes ran a post route and got open in the back of the end zone.

Aside from that contribution, Burress’ anticipated matchup against his old team turned out to be a big zero -- as in zero catches. Burress, coming off his sensational debut against the Bengals, was targeted four times. In fact, Sanchez completed only four passes to his wideouts.

OPPORTUNISTIC D: For a team with a very good defense, the Jets made an alarmingly low number of interceptions last season (12). So far, they seem to be reversing the trend. S Jim Leonhard and LB David Harris intercepted Manning passes, giving the Jets six picks in three games (two by Leonhard). Leonhard’s interception was set up by Harris, who came on an inside blitz and slammed Manning.

BEND BUT DON’T BREAK: Aside from the interceptions, the Jets’ No. 1 defense did some nice things in one half of play, holding the Giants to 2-for-8 on third down and 0-for-1 in the red zone. But -- and this is a big "but" -- they were pushed around between the 20s. The Jets allowed 224 total yards in the first half, uncharacteristic for a Rex Ryan-coached defense. Their conventional pass rush was nowhere to be found, and there were a couple of missed tackles in the open field, including a big one by LB Bart Scott.

THE NEW BRAD: The Jets finally unveiled their 2011 version of the Wildcat, with rookie WR Jeremy Kerley -- no surprise -- taking the direct snap and playing the role of Brad Smith. The Jets ran it four times, resulting in 39 yards. Kerley ran twice for 13 yards, handed off to Joe McKnight for 8 and threw a pass -- yes, a pass! -- to Matt Mulligan for 18. That’ll give the Cowboys a little extra to think about as they prepare for the season opener.

Do yourself a favor and scan through some of the comments at the bottom of that link. You'll have a newfound appreciation for how remarkably dumb Jet fans can be. Thankfully we seem to have found a couple of the few reasonable ones (though I wish BZ would stop by every now and again)

the No. 1 offense scored only three touchdowns in 5½ quarters for the preseason. Blech!

The "best offense in the league", right?

Message? Sent. :coffee:

Here's another article dripping with sarcasm.

“I was happy with the way Mark played,” Ryan said after the Jets’ 17-3 win over the Giants tonight.
Happy with what? Yes, Sanchez threw a nice touchdown strike to Santonio Holmes against the Giants first-team defense in the second quarter, which is one more scoring pass than counterpart Eli Manning has had all preseason.
But that pass lifted Sanchez’s yards per throw in this game from 1.3 to 2.7. It came after Sanchez plunked Holmes in the back of his helmet with one throw, and heaved another over the head of new 6-6 target Plaxico Burress.
This is a good time to insert the usual disclaimer about never reading too much into August football. The Jets kept it simple and were dealing with a disrupted schedule from the hurricane.
Still, this was the last time — and the only time — Sanchez has been on the field this summer with his all his new weapons. And the new-and-improved offense looked a lot like the 2010 version, one that repeatedly needed the defense to keep it in games.
Not that the Jets admitted this. Sanchez praised his unit for “showing more patience.” Of course, fans needed that patience, too, since the first time Sanchez passed for a first down came late in the second quarter, when he hit Dustin Keller on a fourth-and-one for about 13 inches.
The Giants outgained the Jets 224-73 in the first half, a discrepancy Ryan himself called “ridiculous.” Sanchez left the game in the third quarter after completing 8 of his 16 passes for 64 yards.

It’s a good thing the Snoopy on top of that trophy had his helmet pulled down over his eyes, because this wasn’t pretty.
“It was a slow start, but I was proud of the way the offense weathered the storm,” Sanchez said.

Maybe it wouldn’t be so glaring if it weren’t for the bold talk all summer. The Jets were supposed to “go out and score 28, 30 points a week,” according to Burress, who was supposed to add “a different dimension to this offense,” to borrow the words of LaDainian Tomlinson.
Tomlinson talked like the Jets were going to be the Joe Montana 49ers. “I think we can be the top offense in the league, honestly. It’s going to take a little time to get where we want to go, being the No. 1 offense in the league. But I think we definitely have the potential.”
Well, at least the “take a little time to get where we want to go” part is accurate. The Jets looked like a team that added several key parts to their offense and haven’t had enough time to figure out how they work together — which, of course, is exactly what they are.
How long that takes will depend, ultimately, on the quarterback. Sanchez not only has to take a big step forward in his third season, he has to do it with two important new targets, Burress and Derrick Mason.
So is it telling that his three best passes of the night were to Holmes and Keller, holdovers for last season? Or is that reading into a small sample size from one lousy preseason game?
The Jets will hope that it’s the latter, but worry that it’s the former. The trophy Ryan won tonight has Snoopy on top, but it doesn’t come with a handshake from President Obama.
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/20...tml?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Because big tough dude always name their kick-ass machinery after chicks; there used tonbe steam-powered boilers apparently; and, why no ramp? because instead of being sensible, they listened to a kid's idea and ran with it.

Hope this helps :D

Helps?

This one must have been the last of the series, because no kid ever said "Dad, can you read me Mike Mulligan and the Boiler again?"

That game last night was like watching a pillow fight at a nursing home. It was exhausting watching a game in which you hope that somehow both sides will lose.

Snoopy Bowl? No self-respecting beagle would root for a NJ team. How disgusting to defile such an American Icon as Snoopy. Bleccch.

I am starting to hate preseason. how can you tell how good or bad players are if you don't know how they are being coached? Are teams trying to win? Are they playing vanilla? Are coaches deliberately calling the wrong play for the down/distance and/or the other team's expected formation to better gauge how their players handle adversity and give them experience for when this will happen in regular season?

I am so ready for the regular season to begin.

I am now 100% in favor of an 18-game season if it cuts the preseason back to 2 games. If fact, give me a 20-game season with NO preseason games. I'm tired of them.

I am starting to hate preseason. how can you tell how good or bad players are if you don't know how they are being coached? Are teams trying to win? Are they playing vanilla? Are coaches deliberately calling the wrong play for the down/distance and/or the other team's expected formation to better gauge how their players handle adversity and give them experience for when this will happen in regular season?

I am so ready for the regular season to begin.

I am now 100% in favor of an 18-game season if it cuts the preseason back to 2 games. If fact, give me a 20-game season with NO preseason games. I'm tired of them.

I'm ok with cutting the preseason to 2 games. If that means an 18 game reg season then so be it. As you, I'm ready to fast forward this fauxball. (thanks, Jerry)

Wow. Even Rich Cimini wasn't happy about that showing.

Do yourself a favor and scan through some of the comments at the bottom of that link. You'll have a newfound appreciation for how remarkably dumb Jet fans can be. Thankfully we seem to have found a couple of the few reasonable ones (though I wish BZ would stop by every now and again)

Cimini's story pretty much sums it up, a few good things but also some concerns.

The Good: While the D got pushed around some, they sttod strong when it mattered, playing well on 3rd downs, keeping the Giants out of the end zone and getting two picks.

Mark made a very nice throw to Holmes for the TD, and even with his 8-16 night his completion percentage for the preseason is 60% with no picks.

Keller is a stud.

kerley is the new Brad and will fill that role quite well this season.

The Bad: Mark & his new wideouts are defly not on the same page yet.

We still don't have a consistant pass rush.

The OL still isn't where it needs to be when it comes to run blocking.

LT is starting to show his age, we really need McKnight/Powell to step up.

Our lack of depth could become an issue.

The Ugly: Very undiciplined play. Way too many penalties and the penalties were big ones.

Overall I'm not too unhappy with this preseason, we have alot of new players trying to fit into the system and that will take time. I'm also not too concerned about this individual game. We play the Giants in the regular season so I can't imagine us doing a whole lot of gameplanning for last night.

Back