Jets Ready To Break The Bank On Flowers

I think a lot of teams will, and I fear Flowers will be gone. BB just doesn't seem to value pass rushers like the rest of the league do.

Flowers and Trent Brown, we have to try and keep both. Realistically, one will leave, and it could well be that both do because they'll be commanding big money now. I know in an ideal world both want to stay, they're settled in, and both have bought into the program and BB's way. But money talks and they people can't expect them to just dismiss figures like 10 million or more to stay. It sucks, and it's the thing that keeps the Patriots from truly dominating the league and winning SB after SB with no competition.

People forget that the salary cap actually hurts NE more than other teams. They're the 2nd richest team in the league with a HOF coach and QB who just win. The best players in the league would be beating the door down to BB if there were no cap.

I want both, but I'm going to guess that we try really hard to keep Flowers and let Brown walk.

The prime difference being we don't have anybody that can even approximate what Trey can on the roster. Not many teams do.

He's a true two-way DL who can play inside, outside/either side, is effective in space, great tackler, sets a hard edge, never gets tired and makes clutch plays on the regular. He's a great guy and a team leader. Guys like Flowers don't exactly grow on trees.

He should be ranked in the top half-dozen in the league. If he sold out for the pass-rush he'd have the numbers that make folks giddy, but I think he's an ideal player the way he is. We've gotta find a way to keep him.

I want both, but I'm going to guess that we try really hard to keep Flowers and let Brown walk.

The prime difference being we don't have anybody that can even approximate what Trey can on the roster. Not many teams do.

He's a true two-way DL who can play inside, outside/either side, is effective in space, great tackler, sets a hard edge, never gets tired and makes clutch plays on the regular. He's a great guy and a team leader. Guys like Flowers don't exactly grow on trees.

He should be ranked in the top half-dozen in the league. If he sold out for the pass-rush he'd have the numbers that make folks giddy, but I think he's an ideal player the way he is. We've gotta find a way to keep him.

Brown won't be easy to replace, but they can. You're absolutely right about Flowers. Losing him would be devastating to this D.

wuv

Jets trying to build up that defense again to compete! Been a while since I have seen the Jets competitive..... What's it been? 8 or 9 years?

I think a lot of teams will, and I fear Flowers will be gone. BB just doesn't seem to value pass rushers like the rest of the league do.

Hawg is right.

Deflate is too, but Flowers isn’t just a pass rushers. He’s a perfect defensive Patriot. Bill doesn’t put the high value on pass rushers. See Chandler Jones. But he LOVES players like Flowers. My guess? He tells him go set your bar, just please allow us the opportunity to match.

I’d love to keep Brown. It’ll be interesting to see how the league view is of him. Is he a product of coaching that likely won’t be matched if he leaves here? Is he reaping the rewards of protecting a guy who gets the ball out in 2 seconds, and won’t have that for the next stiff he's protecting? We’ll see. But he fits great here. Not much gives me more footbally enjoyment than a screen to the left with Mason pulling and neck roll leading the pack and seeing someone in the second level have an enormous shadow fall over him as he’s engulfed by Black Hole Brown.

If it is not clear by now, the game is won/lost by line play. You've got to give your QB time to throw the ball. You've go to make the other QB uncomfortable. I'd love to see them keep both of these guys.

What are the chances of the franchise tag? Not sure what the number is, but it would give them leverage.

Joel Corry of CBSSports.com projects a 2019 cap of $190MM, and uses that figure to get a sense of what next year’s franchise-tag figures would look like. So while the official amounts may end up looking a little different, these should be pretty close. Here are the non-exclusive franchise tag amounts projected by Corry, using a presumed cap of $190M for 2019; Flowers' tag would be around $17.143M as a DE. Trent Brown would be $14M, a bargain!

• Quarterback: $23.189MM
  • Running back: $11.866MM
  • Wide receiver: $15.982MM
  • Tight end: $9.846MM
  • Offensive line: $14.077MM
  • Defensive end: $17.143MM
  • Defensive tackle: $13.939MM
  • Linebacker: $14.961MM
  • Cornerback: $14.975MM
  • Safety: $11.287MM
  • Punter/kicker: $4.939MM
All of those figures are modest increases over the 2018 amounts, which can be found right here. The most significant increase comes at defensive tackle, where a new contract for Aaron Donald helped boost that figure.

I’d try and reach long term with Flowers or right to match, tag Brown, and then likely start a hard search at TE. Don’t think either are back next year.

I’d try and reach long term with Flowers or right to match, tag Brown, and then likely start a hard search at TE. Don’t think either are back next year.

BB will certainly try to sign both long term. He normally uses the tag only to extend the time to negotiate when a deal is almost done. This year, Brown's tag price seems almost reasonable to me. Sign em both.

BB will certainly try to sign both long term. He normally uses the tag only to extend the time to negotiate when a deal is almost done. This year, Brown's tag price seems almost reasonable to me. Sign em both.

Agree. Tag for Brown just takes the priority threat level down. Time to renegotiate without fear of nobody for next season. Flowers is the focus.

With Wynn waiting in the wings I see Brown unfortunately taking a huge deal elsewhere. That said, Flowers needs stay a Patriot badly. I'd like to think BB will be willing to give him a competitive contracts and it's up to Flowers to accept. Well, I hope anyway.

With Wynn waiting in the wings I see Brown unfortunately taking a huge deal elsewhere. That said, Flowers needs stay a Patriot badly. I'd like to think BB will be willing to give him a competitive contracts and it's up to Flowers to accept. Well, I hope anyway.

Or what if BB keeps Brown.

Wynn could be RT & BB could decide to trade Marcus Cannon for some extra 2019 draft capital. Cannon's contract ($6M/ for 3 years) would look great to all 31 teams and his dead cap for the Pats is only $2.8M in 2019, $1.4M in 2020 - $0 in 2021. BB knows how Wynn's achilles injury is coming along.

We went all in and retained Hightower, I can't see why Kraft and BB won't do the same for Flowers. He's a must sign.

He and Gilmore are critically important to this team.

Back