Jets trade Darnald

ParanoidPatriot

Big member
Reaction score
Just saw that the Jets traded Sam Darnald to Carolina.
The Jets used the 3rd pick in the 1st round to draft Darnald just 3 years ago. In return the Jets get a 6th round pick this year, a 2nd and 4th next year, and something low the year after that when they trade the QB that they draft this year.

Last edited:
I don't know if the trade includes Darnald's ghosts or if they stay with the Jets.

Thoughts on the trade:

1. This works better for the Patriots' drafting a 1st round QB. Not saying they will but it just got easier if that's their plan. The Jets were going to pick a QB @ #2 anyway, and now the Panthers won't be drafting a QB so I think this makes it more likely for someone like Jones to fall to the Pats. If not at 15, then a trade up to 8 now that the Panthers have their guy. That's ahead of Denver and moving to 8 will be a lot less expensive than moving to 4.

2. Panthers are obviously not happy with Bridgewater, which should ease the minds of those of us who wanted the Pats to sign him as a bridge QB.

3. It shows how silly the 49ers are asking for a 1st for Garoppolo. Jets got a sixth and a 2022 second and a 2022 fourth, the equivalent of a 2021 third, fifth, and sixth. Darnold's stats haven't been as good as Garoppolo's but not by that much, and not only was he more available but given the relative quality of players and coaches around the two of them, Darnold could actually be the better QB.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the trade:

1. This works better for the Patriots' drafting a 1st round QB. Not saying they will but it just got easier if that's their plan. The Jets were going to pick a QB @ #2 anyway, and now the Panthers won't be drafting a QB so I think this makes it more likely for someone like Jones to fall to the Pats. If not at 15, then a trade up to 8 now that the Panthers have their guy. That's ahead of Denver and moving to 8 will be a lot less expensive than moving to 4.

2. Panthers are obviously not happy with Bridgewater, which should ease the minds of those of us who wanted the Pats to sign him as a bridge QB.

3. It shows how silly the 49ers are asking for a 1st for Garoppolo. Jets got a sixth and a 2022 second and a 2022 fourth, the equivalent of a 2021 third, fifth, and sixth. Darnold's stats haven't been as good as Garoppolo's but not by that much, and not only was he more available but given the relative quality of players and coaches around the two of them, Darnold could actually be the better QB.
I would still like the Pats to get Bridgewater as a back-up. We need a whole new QB room. Clearly Stidham is not looked at as a viable QB in any capacity by Bill.

Reports out there are saying Carolina will pick a QB in the first round. I am not sure on that but it would make sense given they did not give up that pick for Darnold and the GM is bullish on getting THE guy.

Jimmy is valued as a better QB than Darnold. That being said, I doubt the niners get the first but they absolutely should ask for it. If one thing this off-season has shown, teams are desperate for a QB.

I want to personally thank Darrell (and his two brothers) for not tanking for Lawrence last year. He deserves better anyway.

The guy got a raw deal in NY, Gase just ruined him. I don’t know if he’ll be any better with the Panthers but I wish him well.

The guy got a raw deal in NY, Gase just ruined him. I don’t know if he’ll be any better with the Panthers but I wish him well.

I agree - being made to look bad by Belichick shouldn't be a career-ending fate. It happens to a lot of young QBs.

16 games a year with Gase as your head coach with two of them against Belichick - Darnold is probably ecstatic about the trade.

Back