Jim Brown Passes

Oh my god.

Jim was the greatest football player of all time IMHO. A warrior away from the field as well and the friendship he developed with BB was truly heartwarming.

I'm shocked at this. RIP Jim. You were a giant of a man.

Jim Brown, to me, was tied for #1, as the greatest football player ever. I am very saddened by his death. Imagine having a running back as great as him, on your team. I never saw him play live, or on TV when he played, but his stats are fantastic. He led the NFL in rushing yards, 8 seasons, out of his 9 seasons played.

He was the Greatest civil rights athlete, ever. He was a player in the 50's and 60's, and his civil rights record kept improving. Now, I know about his problems with the law, and women he mistreated at times. But, for some reason, I still loved Jim Brown. My wife said his living 87 years was old enough to live. God Bless him.

I'd like to add, his stats and records in college (with Syracuse University), were fantastic (in more sports than football).

Last edited:
My 1st football idol. Back in the day when I was a kid, before the Patriots, I was a Browns fan because of Jim.
Just imagine Jim and Ernie Davis in the same backfield.
RIP, great one.

BB will be devestated. He was genuinely very close to Jim from his time in Cleveland. Again, something not talked about by the media, Bill used to visit prisons with Jim talking to the young men there and trying to help them through Jim's charity to put them on the right path when they got out. He did this frequently with Jim.

"He’s a genius of professional football," Brown said in a Fox News interview on Friday. "He’s got the best mind in the game. He’s a great humanitarian. He comes off quirky sometimes because he’s mentally—so extreme. I love him."

"Well, I honestly think any person, football player or otherwise, can learn a lot from Jim Brown and what he represents and what he stands for," Belichick said. "But particularly as it relates to our football team, Jim Brown is, in my opinion, the greatest player that ever played. I got an opportunity to know him and have known Jim for over 20 years now, since when I was the coach of the Browns. I just have so much more respect and appreciation for him, knowing him well as a person and as a friend than I did as just an observer from a distance.

"But he's meant so much to this game, he's paved the way for all of us, players and coaches, particularly he's one of many people [who've made] professional football, the game of football, the great game that it is. I just felt like it was an opportunity for us as a team, after the game, to recognize and pay tribute to Jim and all that he stands for both in and out of football, but in particular what he has meant to the game of football and how much he's done for the game, which means for all of us.

"That statue was recently put there. It's kind of remarkable that it hadn't happened sooner, but regardless, I'm not sure how many of our players really, really understand or appreciate what he meant to the game and what he has meant to the game through his continued involvement. Not only with football but with young football players, be they Browns players or just other youth that he interacts with -- primarily on the West Coast, but as we know, he's been involved with projets through his Amer-I-Can program throughout the country, which I've been very fortunate to witness and be a small part of.

View: https://twitter.com/patriots/status/1659661453509402628?s=61&t=uNWqMBxB2xsg6b-DSVtXbw

I don't do this for a lot of celebrities, but I respect Jim Brown immensely, beyond any kind of sport.

My father grew up watching as much sports as he possibly could. He would talk about Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, MJ, Bird, and Magic, Ted Williams...all the greats that I never got a chance to see. But he used to say there was only one player he ever saw at any sport who actually looked like a man among boys every time he saw him play. He said he was the "greatest he had ever seen, at any sport, and it wasn't close."

He used to say that watching Jim Brown play football was "humbling," that he used to watch him and realize that he would never in his life be as good at anything as Jim Brown was at football.

...and that the most humbling thing about it was realizing that football wasn't his best sport.

Rest in peace.

My 1st football idol. Back in the day when I was a kid, before the Patriots, I was a Browns fan because of Jim.
Just imagine Jim and Ernie Davis in the same backfield.
RIP, great one.
I so remember how, at the end of a very physical run , he would fight to the bitter end before going down. Then he would slowly get up and slowly, seemingly barely able to walk, he'd stagger until he finally goy back to the huddle. He would then, next play, take the hand off and run over, under, around and through six defenders for 23 yards, go down, get up and stagger back to the huddle, again, seemingly on the verge of Death. :rofl:

Requiescat in Pace

Sunday afternoons in the fall, on our Zenith B&W TV, it was a white unifomed Jimmy Brown ripping up the middle for 9-10 yards, then getting up and walking back to the huddle( slowly as BT described) his uniform caked in mud, then taking another handoff and doing it all over again.

Jim Brown was the man. And his off the field accomplishments with Muhammad Ali and Bill Russell live on today.

Here’s a comment that got so little coverage when Jim said it 2002.

“Let me tell you about someone I do admire. Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots has contributed more to the work I surround myself with than any black athlete in modern times--financially, intellectually, everyway. He's been in the prisons with me. He's met gang members in my home; he's met gang members in Cleveland [where Belichick coached the Browns from 1991 to '95]. He's put up money. He's opened up areas of education for us very quietly and very strongly. Imagine what would happen if Michael Jordan did the same thing.”

-Jim Brown on Bill Belichick, April 2002.

Back