John Gruden fired!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep....davis didn't want to pay him so he resigned. wonder if someone wanted him out and this was the plot to make it happen with 0 financial risk.
Ultimately, Gruden would hurt the Raiders financially. Davis really had no other option, fire him or force him to resign.

I really don't care about Gruden at all.
What I do care about is this cancel culture. Just seems that there are too many people out there spending time looking for anything on anyone so they can ruin someone who does not fall in with their PC views.
This is very dangerous to our society. They ignore the big things that can really hurt the country while looking for things that they find offensive, no matter how long ago these "violations" occurred.
This is not a political post, it's a comment on how our culture has evolved since the advent of social media, and how it is used by people to feel powerful.

Last edited:
I really don't care about Gruden at all.
What I do care about is this cancel culture. Just seems that there are too many people out there spending time looking for anything on anyone so they can ruin someone who does not fall in with their PC views.
This is very dangerous to our society. They ignore the big things that can really hurt the country while looking for things that they find offensive, no matter how long ago these "violations" occurred.
This is not a political post, it's a comment on how our culture has evolved since the advent of social media, and how it is used by people to feel powerful.

This ain't "cancel culture" - Gruden has expressed views - in writing, no less - that are racist, misogynistic and homophobic, views that have no place in any modern society. These aren't comments from a century or even half a century ago when these things may have been seen as acceptable by some parts of society, they are comments from 10 years ago, what he has written was unacceptable then and is still unacceptable now.

This ain't "cancel culture" - Gruden has expressed views - in writing, no less - that are racist, misogynistic and homophobic, views that have no place in any modern society. These aren't comments from a century or even half a century ago when these things may have been seen as acceptable by some parts of society, they are comments from 10 years ago, what he has written was unacceptable then and is still unacceptable now.
I haven't read them and don't plan to read them.
My comment was how our society has evolved for the worse.
Make sure you don't live in a glass house before you throw stones. Who decides what is "unacceptable", and the bar seems to getting lower and lower.

I haven't read them and don't plan to read them.
My comment was how our society has evolved for the worse.
Make sure you don't live in a glass house before you throw stones. Who decides what is "unacceptable", and the bar seems to getting lower and lower.

In my opinion, a person being called upon to answer for generating racist, misogynistic and homophobic comments is indicative of a culture that is raising the bar, not lowering it.

So it wasn't just one email. Not surprising.

The Internet isn't private! Don't write things you don't want to come back and bite you. Bill does have it right: say and write NOTHING that the media can clamp onto.

It's a tricky discussion. Who is the arbiter on what is and is not acceptable? If Gruden had just said the big lips comment about Smith, he could have escaped as it's not the worst racial insult one could throw and it's a great area. You can mock Mick Jagger for instance for having huge lips and many do and do impressions of him. I'll stick my head out and say the whole "blackface" thing in the context of dressing up a famous black person is harmless. I mean if I wanted to go to a costume party as Mr. T. Am I going to go in all the gear, the Mohawk and not put deep tan on or shoe polish? I don't consider that racist, it's not a statement or mockery of someone's race. In the same way if I went as Sid Vicious, I'd be spiking my hair into a punk style and tweaking the punk clothes etc or if someone famous had freckles and red hair you'd paint those on and wear a wig etc etc etc

That's a world away from blackface of old where people were dressing up as black people to specifically mock them as being slow, stupid etc

I think Gruden though overstepped the mark and being un-rescuable with the homophobic comments. There is no excuse for that.

We are too guilty for sure about crucifying people for comments made, sometimes, decades ago when they were much younger. I mean, we were all stupid and did idiotic things when we were teens. in our 20s etc. We just did not have special media or texts etc back then. If someone is truly sorry for comments made years ago and is genuine, people should accept that and be more tolerant.

How is he being called to answer for his comments? By losing his job? You don't think an apology should suffice?

So you make bad comments at some point in time (10 years ago in this case) and that makes you unemployable? In a league that employs a variety of thugs, assaulters, batterers, rapists, etc.? Give me a break.

Gruden said something stupid and unacceptable but that doesn't mean the reaction isn't overkill.

What I find distasteful is that coaches/players are held to standards that the tyrant/dictator owners are not held to.

How is he being called to answer for his comments? By losing his job? You don't think an apology should suffice?

So you make bad comments at some point in time (10 years ago in this case) and that makes you unemployable? In a league that employs a variety of thugs, assaulters, batterers, rapists, etc.? Give me a break.

Gruden said something stupid and unacceptable but that doesn't mean the reaction isn't overkill.

Agreed. And it's nice to see ya man.

What I find distasteful is that coaches/players are held to standards that the tyrant/dictator owners are not held to.
Jerry Richardson is no longer the owner of the Carolina Panthers.

Donald Sterling is no longer the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers.

Not going to comment on the rest outside the Political Forum, but just wanted to point out that the idea that someone's views can have no place in modern society, and by expressing them, a person in turn is expressing that they have no place in modern society, is EXACTLY what "cancel culture" is. An intolerance of views found distasteful and the people expressing them, and a call to action to get them out of whatever position they hold. As to the rest of it, eh, I'll take it to the PF if I care to express an opinion on it.

for all the pillorying Jon Gruden is receiving

can't we all agree that OTOH he should be elevated to Sainthood for declaring -- in writing -- that

[Roger Goodell is] "a clueless football pussy" :ROFLMAO:

can I get a Amen :lecture:

Amen!!!

Preach it, brother RG. Maybe we can lay hands on Roger and heal his immortality damned soul. :)

In my opinion, a person being called upon to answer for generating racist, misogynistic and homophobic comments is

In my opinion, a person being called upon to answer for generating racist, misogynistic and homophobic comments is indicative of a culture that is raising the bar, not lowering it.
Many people 10 years ago felt that females would not make good NFL officials. The last 2 years, and in the SB last year has showed that they can be and are good officials. Many now have changed their minds on that, are they still sexist?
Many people agree with some of the gay agenda but not all, does that make them homophobic?
And racist comments are in eye of the beholder. Some people can say things that sound racist and get away with it, if they are on the right side, and others can say the same thing and be labeled "racist".
Once again my comments were not Gruden specific as I have not read the emails.

Not going to comment on the rest outside the Political Forum, but just wanted to point out that the idea that someone's views can have no place in modern society, and by expressing them, a person in turn is expressing that they have no place in modern society, is EXACTLY what "cancel culture" is. An intolerance of views found distasteful and the people expressing them, and a call to action to get them out of whatever position they hold. As to the rest of it, eh, I'll take it to the PF if I care to express an opinion on it.
Right. Tolerance isn't tolerance if the only opinions you tolerate are those you agree with.

I don't agree with Gruden's comments. He made a mistake and should apologize. If he was a member of the Raiders when he made the comments, I'd agree firing him could make sense. But that's not the case here and this absolutely is a product of cancel culture.

can't we all agree that OTOH he should be elevated to Sainthood for declaring -- in writing -- that

So that is the homophobic comment that has everyone's panties in a bunch.
I guess I must be homophobic because I agree with him on that.

Amen, brother RG.

Matthew Mcconaughey GIF by CMA Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back