Julio Jones

I'm going to believe that it was strictly money, this years in particular, that is the reason why we bailed. Jones wasn't
taking any discounts to play here and that's likely what it would have taken.

At 15M, we probably could have squeezed him in under the cap, but Bill has typically preferred to keep a few million
fluid for rainy days. I would have gladly given our 2nd rounder for a couple of years of Julio, but he was a pipe dream '
and we've got enough weapons on offense without him. We'll be fine without him.

I might also point out that there is still the whole waiver process yet to come and we are probably far from being done
adding players and we'll need cash to do that.

plus they may want to hold more $ for larger practice squad/i/r returns(so glad they kept that, might be the best part of covid)

I hope we now extend Gilmore.

I hope Gilmore can get extended for a reasonable deal. I dont expect him to stay at the level he was two or three seasons ago, but he’s still above average I think, and he’s put his time in. Without him the secondary could start looking awfully thin. With him it’s harder to target any specific area as an opposing offensive Q.
To stay competitive at all, the defense has to be deep, because the offense is going to be awful. The front seven looks better. I hope Gilmore can retire a Patriot.
Julio was going to cost good money plus a pick. It was a high profile deal, so his price was being driven up above market value. BB has blown so many picks we devalue them these days, but it’s best to keep Gilmore around on defense and not waste a second on a guy who’s got at most 9 games of top notch play left, and probably it’s much less than that. Bad teams make trades like that, and it keeps them bad. I’d be happy to be a Falcons fan today.
The pats are not going on a super bowl run this year, with or without Julio. Keep the powder dry.
So I guess I find myself in the unusual situation of agreeing with a Pats personal decision.

Last edited:
I hope Gilmore can get extended for a reasonable deal. I dont expect him to stay at the level he was two or three seasons ago, but he’s still above average I think, and he’s put his time in. Without him the secondary could start looking awfully thin. With him it’s harder to target any specific area as an opposing offensive Q.
To stay competitive at all, the defense has to be deep, because the offense is going to be awful. The front seven looks better. I hope Gilmore can retire a Patriot.
Julio was going to cost good money plus a pick. It was a high profile deal, so his price was being driven up above market value. BB has blown so many picks we devalue them these days, but it’s best to keep Gilmore around on defense and not waste a second on a guy who’s got at most 9 games of top notch play left, and probably it’s much less than that. Bad teams make trades like that, and it keeps them bad. I’d be happy to be a Falcons fan today.
The pats are not going on a super bowl run this year, with or without Julio. Keep the powder dry.
So I guess I find myself in the unusual situation of agreeing with a Pats personal decision.
I am not sure I want to let Gil work the Pats over AGAIN. Is he underpaid? No.

I am not sure I want to let Gil work the Pats over AGAIN. Is he underpaid? No.

Actually, at $7M for the year, he has a case that he's underpaid.
This is a tricky situation for BB though. Gilmore is 30 now. He was injured, played in only 11 games and didn't play up to his standards last year. This is his last year under contract with the Pats. From the Pats' pov his restructure last year paid an extra $5M for this year but players don't always see it that way. Gilmore may think that restructure money last year was for last year even though the Pats chose to spread it over 2 years for cap purposes. Either way, he didn't earn his pay last year for the team. OTOH, $7M/ is a paltry sum if he's healthy and can return to his 2019 form. His cap hit is a healthy $16M this year.

He won't be released - his dead cap is $7.5M and he has value for some team if BB can't come to terms with him. I expected a trade by now and maybe it's still an open possibility although not many teams can fit him under their cap without paying someone else forward.

Gilmore doesn't have any leverage here since he's under contract for '21. He could hold out but he'd face the poss of a $93K fine for not showing up for day 1 of mandatories although not many teams actually assess those fines. The best resolution for Gilmore and the Pats is probably a 2-3 year extension that brings this year's cap hit down a bit. His options are to play out 2021 for $7M and become a FA, sign an extension or ask if he can look for a team that will trade for him (he may have had permission to seek a trade for months).

Last edited:
This is a tricky situation for BB though. Gilmore was injured, played in only 11 games and didn't play up to his standards last year. This is his last year under contract with the Pats. From the Pats' pov his restructure last year paid an extra $5M for this year but players don't always see it that way. Gilmore may think that restructure money last year was for last year even though the Pats chose to spread it over 2 years for cap purposes. Either way, he didn't earn his pay last year for the team. OTOH, $7M/ is a paltry sum if he's healthy and can return to his 2019 form.
Do you think he plays for that money this year? I think he may hold out again.

This is a tricky situation for BB though. Gilmore is 30 now. He was injured, played in only 11 games and didn't play up to his standards last year. This is his last year under contract with the Pats. From the Pats' pov his restructure last year paid an extra $5M for this year but players don't always see it that way. Gilmore may think that restructure money last year was for last year even though the Pats chose to spread it over 2 years for cap purposes. Either way, he didn't earn his pay last year for the team. OTOH, $7M/ is a paltry sum if he's healthy and can return to his 2019 form. His cap hit is a healthy $16M this year.

He won't be released - his dead cap is $7.5M and he has value for some team if BB can't come to terms with him. I expected a trade by now and maybe it's still an open possibility although not many teams can fit him under their cap without paying someone else forward.

Gilmore doesn't have any leverage here since he's under contract for '21. He could hold out but he'd face the poss of a $93K fine for not showing up for day 1 of mandatories although not many teams actually assess those fines. The best resolution for Gilmore and the Pats is probably a 2-3 year extension that brings this year's cap hit down a bit. His options are to play out 2021 for $7M and become a FA, sign an extension or ask if he can look for a team that will trade for him (he may have had permission to seek a trade for months).
I hear all the time about contracts having a fantasy final year on a contract to make it a "record deal". It appears the Patriots not only were very upfront about the contract, the actually gave him an advance on this years contract. I don't consider Gilmore greedy for wanting more (who doesn't), but he was given a contract the Patriots honored+. If I was running the show, I may offer him a couple mil more, but that is all.

[IMG alt="German_Patriot"]https://www.patriotsplanet.net/BB/data/avatars/m/3/3561.jpg?1602401013[/IMG]

German_Patriot

Well-known member​

JoinedJun 7, 2008Messages3,211Reaction score194Points63Age32LocationGermany
halfstar-2.png

Jeff Howe has all numbers on that deal.

$18M signing bonus, $500k in per-game roster boni ($31,250 per game) each year and base salaries of $4.5M, $8.5M, $9.5M, $10.5M and $11.5M.

The first two base salaries are fully guaranteed, the third is guaranteed for injury only and will become fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2019 league year.

So the $13M/year average is real.

It is real but...that $13M/ also puts him well outside the top 10 paid CBs

He's holding out now - so far anyway.
Is he not expected to attend mini camp next week?

Do you think Bill will throw him more money for this year? I agree with you that this is tricky. We already gave him some money so I doubt Bill wants to give more BUT you don't want what happened last year either where he held out and then got hurt.

It is real but...that $13M/ also puts him well outside the top 10 paid CBs

He had to have known that by the end of 4 years he would not be top ten. He was the 6th highest CB and 39th highest paid athlete in the world when he signed it. Coming off a sub all pro and injury year, what is it he expects?

I get what you are saying, but the math is clear. They loaned him 5 MILLION last year for this year. 14 million is more than he is worth IMO. I'd make him play or seek a trade that the Pats will be okay with.

Based on last year and his age I don't want him for 3 more years.

I get what you are saying, but the math is clear. They loaned him 5 MILLION last year for this year. 14 million is more than he is worth IMO. I'd make him play or seek a trade that the Pats will be okay with.

Based on last year and his age I don't want him for 3 more years.
How about 2 more years? I don't want to lose him just yet. Our secondary was not good without him. Jackson is clearly a #2 right now. Maybe he eventually becomes a #1 but would be good to have Gilmore there for the next couple of seasons.

I was thinking since 2014 we have had a #1 or elite CB to help anchor the secondary. Yes, I am counting Butler for a couple of years because he was really good especially with Ryan opposite him. I don't want to go back to having to worry about the secondary again given we did upgrade the Dline to get pressure.

He had to have known that by the end of 4 years he would not be top ten. He was the 6th highest CB and 39th highest paid athlete in the world when he signed it. Coming off a sub all pro and injury year, what is it he expects?

He was the best CB in the league in 2019 though. He has some legit ammunition to negotiate with.
We won't know the outcome until it's announced. Tricky and not as cut and dried as many might think.

This thread is worth bumping by the way.

We definitely had a good escape in not signing Julio. His hamstring seems gone and he has played 9 out of the previous 21 games across Atl and Tenn.
  • He’s had 63 receptions and three touchdowns.
  • Earnings in 2020 and 2021: $37.5 million. (Tennessee owes him $11.5 million in each of the next two seasons if it keeps him.).
  • The Titans owe Atlanta a second-round pick in 2022 and a four in ’23 (Atlanta will send back a 2023 sixth-rounder), so the cost for Jones is not only the money.
  • Jones will be 33 in four months.

Bill was wise to drop out of the running here fairly early and Pete in Seattle was the same. For the money he was looking for. no way.

Back