Julio Jones

If the Falcons are willing to let him go for a 3rd then they know something we don’t.
I don’t think your getting a bonifide number one anymore. As I stated above, I think he’s got about nine good games left. Receivers like him tend to fall off quick at 31 or 32. He’s always had some nagging injury, and at that age it starts to catch you.
Last year his best game against a good defense was against the saints when he went for 94 yards. I think at that point they had some injuries in the secondary. His other game against them he went for 30 or 40. Outside of that most of his yards came against some really bad secondaries including the Seahawks and Vikings. Thats with Ridley taking significant heat off of him, and a pretty good QB. He finished with 700ish yards and 3, yes 3 TDs. He’s not a red zone threat at all even in his prime, and he’s looked ready to retire for two years.
Plus he was playing for a team that couldn’t run or play defense. About the total opposite situation he’d be in here.

You do realize that he asked to be traded?

The team that trades for Jones would have to plan on keeping him for at least two years to get him at a bargain price: He’d cost his new team about $26.8 million over the next two years, which would rank 19th among wide receivers in average annual value, per Spotrac. That’s a good price for an elite receiver. Keep him 3 years and the avg cost/yr goes down a bit.

The big question is his health and whether or not Jones will be on the field enough to justify the cost of a trade. Vet him out. Make sure he's healthy. Then restructure to give game bonuses so that if he's injured and misses games he doesn't get paid. It's been done before. He'd have to agree to a new contract prior to a trade, of course.

The team IMO that makes the most sense is Indy. They really need a top receiver to give Wentz a big time player. I also think Reich would find ways to use Jones the best given his age and injuries.

He does seem a good fit, personality-wise. You never hear anything from him, he seems a Hightower kind of player, head down and just does the work.

Always go back to Super Bowl 51 and all the audio from the Falcons bench for a while is about how they're going to put up a ton of points, but notably I don't think I ever heard Jones jawing, just focus from him.

You do realize that he asked to be traded?
Yes.
He’s still not worth more than a 3rd. He doesn’t have two good seasons left, and I’m not sure he even makes it through next year.
What accounts for the lack of red zone production over his career? He’s had decent coaches, a good QB, weapons around him. That’s always perplexed me about him.

No player who is available is going to check off every box, or he wouldn't be available.

So ask yourself the following questions...

Is he better than what I have? I think he is.

Is he a positive, negative or neutral presence in the locker room? I've never heard of a problem.

Is he worth the contract? A little more iffy and subjective. As a one year thing, maybe.

Is he worth the cost given up in trade? To put it another way, is he worth the guy I could take in next year's draft or the player I'd need to give up? I am not going to pretend to be an expert here. I think he's better than a hypothetical third, and maybe a second. Not a first IMO. Would I give up Gilmour for him? I'd prefer not to.

It all really depends on who else is bidding and where they are willing to go. The Packers might be desperate enough to part with a lot.

There are people on this board who are SCARED SHITLESS that Julio Jones is gonna end up here! The Depenz wagon is on a street near you! God, whether he lands here or not, It's really fun reading all of the "he's really a better fit.______" and "he only has 9 minutes, or so to live" BS. Whatever happens this is FUN!

You don't have to get it nor was it written with the intention that you would get it. You can get it if you wish or not get it if you wish. That's up to you. But, please, if you don't get it don't lose any sleep over not getting it. You'll be fine.

You guys really don't need him. I would think defense would be better.

He's really not a fit for the Pats O right now. Given all we spent in FA it's clear Bill wants to be a ground and pound team with the TEs working the middle. We paid Agahlor to be the guy to take the top off occasionally. To spend a 2 on a 32 year old receiver on the decline seems counter to what we are building right now. Give Jones a couple of years than get the #1 receiver.
Yeah, there's no chance we'd look at him. Our WR's are set.

Julio has never played in cold weather. College or Pros. I think that’s a huge deal that no ones talking about. The whole division outside of Miami sees some tough ass weather.

Julio has never played in cold weather. College or Pros. I think that’s a huge deal that no ones talking about. The whole division outside of Miami sees some tough ass weather.

Are you saying you researched and Julio Jones has never been exposed to cold weather? That's it. Call it off. Julio Jones sucks.

You do realize these guys literally sit in freezing tubs to recover after training/games, right?

I think you mentioned this when BB traded for Wes Welker, that Welker played college in Texas, and NFL in San Diego and Miami.

Are you saying you researched and Julio Jones has never been exposed to cold weather? That's it. Call it off. Julio Jones sucks.

You do realize these guys literally sit in freezing tubs to recover after training/games, right?
I’ve never said he sucks. But playing outside in the northeast is one of many reasons why he’s a bad fit for this team.
The Patriots aren’t winning a super bowl this year. With or without Julio. Don’t trade away draft assets for a guy who’s not even gonna be around long enough to catch passes from Mac.

I think you mentioned this when BB traded for Wes Welker, that Welker played college in Texas, and NFL in San Diego and Miami.
I think he needs to actually look at Jones' career. In games away against teams like Chicago, Philly, Green Bay he's put up monster numbers, no different to when he plays in the south/domes. He broke his single-game record in 2014 in Green Bay with 259 yards on 11 receptions.

There is no issue in that regard, he's just a spectacular player. Only issue is injuries.

Seems to be a typical Saban player, keeps the head down, works hard. You never hear anything about him away from the football field, he's a private person. Rumour is actually, he's gay. That seems to be fairly commonly known in Alabama. Doesn't matter of course, he'd be a great addition to the lockerroom, a typical BB player.

Last edited:
Back