Just say no....

I've quit and I've known a lot of people who have quit. I now have a problem with the smell of cigarettes and I've heard from people who, once they smell cigarettes on someone else, wonder how they ever smoked in the first place.

Other people keep craving them and have a really hard time, especially when drinking. That was the problem that my wife kept having.

Just remember the reasons that you're quitting and that may help.

Good luck no matter how you do it.

Well,it's been about four months with no cigarettes now.....I still think about them daily.....anyone know when this craving ends?:suicide:

With me it never went away completely... and I have started again. Like another poster said, don't ever light "just one" up, especially when you are having some drinks. It won't "just be one," trust me and the other poster...

With me it never went away completely... and I have started again. Like another poster said, don't ever light "just one" up, especially when you are having some drinks. It won't "just be one," trust me and the other poster...

I bought a pack of cigarettes because I knew I'd be drinking and didn't wanna be bummin them off of people. I had a few and the remaining ones are just sitting in my center console. I have no desire to smoke one. I am saving them for the next time I go out drinking in case I get an urge. Doesn't mean I will have one but they are there.

When I quit completely I drove around with a half a pack in my center console for months. Never touched em.

"I thought this thread was going to be about Kobe Bryant."

I thought it was about Big Ben.

No no. I meant in terms of saying no to Kobe Bryant. Because that's not going to matter, it's going to happen anyway. I judt didn't want anyone to think I was comparing him to a product that after lighting you inhale a sweet sweet smoke and eventually get cancer and die.

He's much worse than that.

They taste soooo good after sex, a fat steak dinner, with coffee in the morning, after smoking a bone and after an hour on the jetski.

When I first "quit", I went for years of only smoking when drinking. Eventually, I gave them up for good.

You actually have to want to quit, from what I gather.

I have a friend that said, "**** you I like it" when I gave her shit. 5 years later, she knew it was time and quit cold turkey with no cravings whatsoever.

Hey, I just thought of something else that might be useful to know: Amidst all the lozenges, nicotine gum, patches, Wellbutrin, support groups, etc etc, that I tried out in my many attempts to finally quit, I learned the following important factoid:

The urge to have a smoke lasts around 2 minutes. If you can tough it out that long, the urge fades (until the next one strikes). Most men I know can hold out for at least 2 minutes. o:)

ps - Arnold Palmer actually gave me the courage to keep trying. Old Arnie says he tried to quit over 30 times before succeeding. It only took me about 5.

Good luck.

You actually have to want to quit, from what I gather.

I have a friend that said, "**** you I like it" when I gave her shit. 5 years later, she knew it was time and quit cold turkey with no cravings whatsoever.
Lies. I did cold laser therapy (like acupressure but better/last longer) and didn't psych myself up at all. It was hard but I did it. I dragged my dad in, and he was 100% not ready, and it's been 3 years for him. Taking away the physical withdrawal symptoms initially goes a long way to curbing the longer term urges because the craving isn't as strong. I'd done patches, gum, cold turkey, my dad had tried hypnosis and everything, and we'd both failed multiple times in the past, but it did work for both of us, and has worked for about 75% of the people I've sent there.

It's interesting how all these bad habits seem to be interconnected.....smoking and drinking....drinking and promiscuity....smoking and drinking and then drug use. And alot of this activity seems to take place in bars or start in bars. You almost never see things like this happen in church (let the priest insults fly). How about a real gym? Yeah, there may be some flirtation but overall, I've never seen anyone smoke or drink in a gym.
I think the places you go can affect you just as much as having cigs in your pocket. If you're prone to bad or addictive behavior, a bar is the last place you should be spending your free time. The next time you're in a bar, see how many people either don't have a drink in their hand or a smoke.
Bad company ruins good character.

It's interesting how all these bad habits seem to be interconnected.....smoking and drinking....drinking and promiscuity....smoking and drinking and then drug use. And alot of this activity seems to take place in bars or start in bars. You almost never see things like this happen in church (let the priest insults fly). How about a real gym? Yeah, there may be some flirtation but overall, I've never seen anyone smoke or drink in a gym.
I think the places you go can affect you just as much as having cigs in your pocket. If you're prone to bad or addictive behavior, a bar is the last place you should be spending your free time. The next time you're in a bar, see how many people either don't have a drink in their hand or a smoke.
I am smoking a cigarette right now. I think I am going to have a glass of wine in a minute. Then I am going to have sex with a man I am not married to. Twice. And I am going to love it.:thumb:

I am smoking a cigarette right now. I think I am going to have a glass of wine in a minute. Then I am going to have sex with a man I am not married to. Twice. And I am going to love it.:thumb:

And yet we're approximately 70 miles apart. You're coveting neighbors now too??? :coffee:

I'm going to go look at threads with pictures of lesbians doing it like I've seen your name lurking at the bottom in.

I know a priest who smokes. He drinks wine at mass, too. It doesn't seem to be bringing him to promiscuity. :shrug:

Back