Lisa Friel - Piece of Poo

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/foo...-adviser-ripped-abuse-probe-article-1.1942380

Flag on new NFL aide: Roger Goodell's criminal adviser ripped over abuse probe
MICHAEL O'KEEFFE
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS 09/16/2014 11:38 PM ET
facebook
email
Former Manhattan prosecutor, Lisa M. Friel, also known as Lisa Friel, was announced as an advisor on September 15 2014 as an advisor to the NFL to help guide league policies in the wake of domestic violence incidents by players.NJP
Lisa Friel, named Monday as NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's adviser on criminal cases and player conduct, is criticized for lack of substance in report she helped prepare on sexual abuse allegations at Yeshiva University.
The lawyers hired by Yeshiva University in January 2013 to investigate allegations that the Washington Heights school had covered up decades of sexual abuse didn't leave any stone unturned.

The investigators spent 6,300 hours on the case, interviewing more than 145 people, including victims and school employees accused of sexual abuse. They reviewed millions of emails and thousands of pages of documents, including personnel records, legal files and board meeting minutes.

The investigation was led by Karen Patton Seymour, the former chief of the criminal division of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, now a partner at Sullivan & Cromwell, the Manhattan white-shoe law firm with offices across the globe. Seymour and S&C brought in Lisa Friel and her security firm, T&M Protection Resources, to assist with the probe.

Friel assumed an even bigger stage on Monday, when embattled NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced that he had hired the former chief of the Manhattan district attorney's sex crimes unit to advise him on criminal cases and violations of the league's personal conduct policy.

The T&M vice president, one of four women Goodell said will help guide the NFL through the worst crisis in its 94-year history, is already reviewing the cases against Adrian Peterson, the Minnesota Vikings star who was indicted last week on felony child abuse charges, and Greg Hardy of the Carolina Panthers, who is appealing his domestic violence conviction.

But if the Yeshiva case — where Friel's work and independence have come into question — is any indication, transparency and victims' concerns may take a backseat to NFL public relations. The lawyer representing 34 men who claim Yeshiva officials covered up the sex abuse allegations says the university used Friel and her investigators as "unwitting cogs" in an ongoing conspiracy to conceal the abuse. It was an effort, he says, to allay alumni anger and public outrage — and shield the Orthodox Jewish university from any liability.

"It is important for these type of investigators to have enough evidence to serve transparency and the truth," says attorney Kevin Mulhearn. "The opposite happened in the Yeshiva case. The investigation was just another way to manipulate the truth and conceal the university's own atrocious conduct."

The final report on the results of the extensive investigation conducted by Patton Seymour and Friel, released in late August of 2013, concluded that the university ignored or failed to act appropriately on physical and sexual abuse allegations made before 2001 but acted decisively when it received complaints after that year.

But as sex abuse expert Marci Hamilton wrote last year in a post on "Verdict," a legal issues website, the report was "short on facts and long on public relations."

It did not quote any victims or address specific allegations made against two rabbis who taught at Yeshiva's affiliated high school. It did not include statements from Yeshiva employees accused of abuse or assault. The 21-page document simply provided a brief overview how the investigation was conducted and recommendations the school should take to prevent future abuse.

It did not examine how or why the school failed to act for decades.

"I would not have permitted my name to be on such a deficient and embarrassing document," wrote Hamilton, a professor at Yeshiva's Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. "A document that was truly a 'Report' would have included an actual report of the facts that prompted the need to review those policies."

Mulhearn said most of the blame for the report's lack of substance and transparency should go to the Yeshiva officials who hired the investigators; Friel did not have control over how the school would use the information she gathered. But Mulhearn knocks Friel for lending her expertise and reputation to what he calls "a continuation of the conspiracy to conceal."

A three-judge appeals panel recently upheld U.S. District Court Judge John G. Koeltl's decision to toss the lawsuit Mulhearn filed on behalf of the 34 men last year, citing statute of limitations issues. Mulhearn has asked the full Second Circuit Court of Appeals to rehear the case.

A Yeshiva University spokesman declined to comment on the abuse report. T&M referred calls about Friel to NFL spokeswoman Joanna Hunter, who did not return a request for comment.

Friel's departure from the Manhattan district attorney's office was also steeped in controversy. She submitted her resignation shortly after a documentary on the sex crimes unit aired on HBO showing two prosecution witnesses — investigators in the district attorney's office — talk about the infamous "rape cop" case on camera. Prosecutors did not provide the tape to defense lawyers as required by law, and Friel was reportedly called into District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr.'s office and "read the riot act." Her resignation was announced the following day.

Friel's departure may have also been fueled by a tug of war over Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the International Monetary Fund chief accused of assaulting a hotel maid. Vance deputy Dan Alonso wanted a swift indictment for the international banker.

Friel wanted to move more methodically, and supporters said she was vindicated when the charges were dropped against Strauss-Kahn, in part because the victim had changed her story about the alleged assault and had falsely told immigration officials that she had been gang raped in her native Guinea to gain asylum in the United States.

Mulhearn, who represented 12 men who settled a sex-abuse lawsuit against Poly Prep, credits Friel for helping the Brooklyn school develop stronger sex-abuse policies. The school, also accused of covering up decades of sexual abuse, hired Friel in 2011 to develop policies to combat sexual abuse, harassment and bullying, and Poly Prep spokesman Malcolm Farley said Friel continues to advise the school and provide training to students, faculty and employees.

"Poly Prep has developed cutting-edge sexual abuse and sexual harassment policies, and Lisa Friel should get credit for that," Mulhearn said.

But Mulhearn's Poly Prep clients weren't that generous after Friel signed on with the school and made a bizarre statement to The Wall Street Journal: "You can't judge how people did things in the '60's and '70's by 2011 standards," she said. "People had very different understandings of what sexual abuse was in the '60s and '70s and what a pedophile was, and they handled things very differently back then than anybody does today."

That mentality probably won't provide much comfort to the next woman or child assaulted by an NFL player.

"That kind of timid and pathetic thinking is still being used by judges across the state to deny justice to victims," Mulhearn said. "It rewards schools and institutions that cover up sexual assault."

Spurred from what I read in the comments field from the transcripts of the Hardy case.

Couldn't think of a better fit for Rog.

Spurred from what I read in the comments field from the transcripts of the Hardy case.

Couldn't think of a better fit for Rog.

Agreed. Just continue to suck, the NFL and those who are employed by them.

Like Wells, Lisa Friel is just another hired assassin who will find whatever Goodell wants her to find rather than the truth.

Recently I saw Goodell on the tube and while I was studying his face and his reaction to questions and it occurred to me that the problem is that we grade his horrendous judgement and callous indifference to the truth by "human" standards of decency while Roger has apparently decided that getting paid 40 millions bucks last year means that he simply doesn't give a shit about those sorts of concerns.

He's a whore. Pure and simple.

His arrogance is generated by the fact that he is a winner in his own mind because of all those millions and he'll slaughter whatever he has to slaughter in order to keep his gravy train rolling. He is indifferent to the suffering of these women who are abused along with Peterson's kids and any number of other lesser bombs going off around him including the conspiracy to hammer the Patriots for dominating Goodell's Overlords for the last 15 years.

Plenty of very rich folks keep their humanity intact when they hit paydirt, but the commissioner of the NFL feels no such need and hasn't learned a goddamn thing throughout all of this stuff.

Karma says that a man like that has gotta go down and be humbled and I want this guy to pay for what he is. Shameless. Callous. Inhuman. A dirty whore.

The NFL needs an internal revolution and I hope that it is televised. My greatest hope for that to happen is that the women of America get really, really pissed off, organize and clamp down on Roger's precious revenue streams through sponsor boycotts.

Can it happen? It's a big longshot the way the deck is stacked right now. Roger isn't the only whore trying to preserve the status quo.

Unfortunately, I think we're going to have to more Rice/Hardy-type cases botched. More victims to suffer. More blood and carnage before the glossy image fades and the ugliness inside Park Avenue is revealed to everyone.

I really do hate the NFL now. I hope someday soon everybody does.

Driving in the rain from hockey last nt I listened to some broadcast boast of 27 of the top 30 prime time network television programs this year have been NFL.

Roger is here to stay.

I'm more of a belief his dictatorial handlings and iron fist rule are by design, self creating interest in a product outside the lines of battle and thus news and headlines and more ratings. NFL: Always Relevant.

Think of how much more their own NFL Network benefitted from the Framegate saga, during the off-season weeks when advertising typically drops low enough for Verns Gutter Cleaners to pull a couple 30 second ads. Framegate kept the big guns buying all available time slots. HUGE increase in ad revenue in the dry season.

Recently I saw Goodell on the tube and while I was studying his face and his reaction to questions and it occurred to me that the problem is that we grade his horrendous judgement and callous indifference to the truth by "human" standards of decency while Roger has apparently decided that getting paid 40 millions bucks last year means that he simply doesn't give a shit about those sorts of concerns.

His arrogance is generated by the fact that he is a winner in his own mind because of all those millions and he'll slaughter whatever he has to slaughter in order to keep his gravy train rolling. He is indifferent to the suffering of these women who are abused along with Peterson's kids and any number of other lesser bombs going off around him including the conspiracy to hammer the Patriots for dominating Goodell's Overlords for the last 15 years.

Plenty of very rich folks keep their humanity intact when they hit paydirt, but the commissioner of the NFL feels no such need and hasn't learned a goddamn thing throughout all of this stuff.

Karma says that a man like that has gotta go down and be humbled and I want this guy to pay for what he is. Shameless. Callous. Inhuman. A dirty whore.

The NFL needs an internal revolution and I hope that it is televised. My greatest hope for that to happen is that the women of America get really, really pissed off, organize and clamp down on Roger's precious revenue streams through sponsor boycotts.

Can it happen? It's a big longshot the way the deck is stacked right now. Roger isn't the only whore trying to preserve the status quo.

Unfortunately, I think we're going to have to more Rice/Hardy-type cases botched. More victims to suffer. More blood and carnage before the glossy image fades and the ugliness inside Park Avenue is revealed to everyone.

Even worse, he is taking on a guy who actually earned his millions, is the best QB of all time, whose reputation is spotless, and is respected among peers and opponents.

Goodell is a whore; a well-paid toadie whore.

Even worse, he is taking on a guy who actually earned his millions, is the best QB of all time, whose reputation is spotless, and is respected among peers and opponents.

"We don't have to prove he's a pig fvcker..." LBJ

Roger could not keep what he never had. The man is a hollow shell, stands for nothing and a perfect mouth piece for owners of the NFL like Jones

Honestly, if the USFL was around or even the XFL, I'd be on Team "OtherLeague" in a heartbeat. And I'm sure there are a lot of like-minded folks across this great land of ours.

I love football, not the NFL.

The best chance to improve the league is a little more competition.

Where is Mark Cuban when we truly need him.

If we assume that the issue is really a power play between the NFL and the NFLPA regarding the authority of the Commissioner/league to have dictatorial power over the punishment of the players, and make no mistake, this is what it's all about.

Then TFB+ is the perfect target.

If he can do anything he wants, without any real proof, for such a trivial alleged infraction, to such a player, then what chance does any other player have?

"We don't have to prove he's a pig fvcker..." LBJ

I prefer Spock's version.

:spock:

Mr. Spock: Lieutenant, I am half-Vulcanian. Vulcanians do not speculate. I speak from pure logic. If I let go of a hammer on a planet that has a positive gravity, I need not see it fall to know that it has in fact fallen.

If we assume that the issue is really a power play between the NFL and the NFLPA regarding the authority of the Commissioner/league to have dictatorial power over the punishment of the players, and make no mistake, this is what it's all about.

Then TFB+ is the perfect target.

If he can do anything he wants, without any real proof, for such a trivial alleged infraction, to such a player, then what chance does any other player have?

But he can't do whatever he wants, which has been proven in abundance, in courts, and by public opinion. Goodell is too stupid to understand that by repeatedly going all in against Brady, he will lose any semblance of authority he may have had. As much as Goodell wishes it were so, the NFLPA's signing off on the CBA does not mean its clauses are not open to interpretation or are not otherwise debatable.

Vulcanian?

:spock:

That's what I thought too :spock:

Both terms were used at different times.

See Memory Alpha

The term "Vulcanian" has been described as an "Obsolete term meaning a native of the planet Vulcan. The term "Vulcan" has come to mean both the planet and the native of same." (Star Trek Concordance, p. 248)

The origin of the term from a production standpoint dates to 1966, when NBC prepared a twelve-page booklet, entitled "Advance Information on 1966-67 Programming: Star Trek," which described the series' regular crewmembers.

The description of Spock mentions that his father was a native of "Vulcanis," and his people were known as the "Vulcanians." (The Star Trek Compendium, p. 25)

As a result of early "growing pains" in the writing staff, the term "Vulcanian" was used sporadically (and sometimes interchangeably) during the first season, where it was heard in "Mudd's Women", "Court Martial", "A Taste of Armageddon", "This Side of Paradise", and "Errand of Mercy".

The Bajorans suffered similar "growing pains" when they were briefly known as the "Bajora" during their early appearances.

The name "Vulcan" itself, in reference to the people, was first heard in "The Naked Time". See also: Vulcanian expedition and Vulcanian Scientific Legion of Honor.

Huh.

I don't recall it ever being used (just Vulcan), but I'll take your word for it.

But he can't do whatever he wants, which has been proven in abundance, in courts, and by public opinion. Goodell is too stupid to understand that by repeatedly going all in against Brady, he will lose any semblance of authority he may have had. As much as Goodell wishes it were so, the NFLPA's signing off on the CBA does not mean its clauses are not open to interpretation or are not otherwise debatable.

I may not have been clear.

I'm not suggesting that Goodell presently has that power, or that he is likely to win the court case against TFB+

My point was that should he win the case, then that would establish precedent that he does have that power.

That is why he "selected" TFB+ as his target here.

Back