LoCast is gone, now what

foobahl

Reaction score
I have been using LoCast for a long time for local channels. With them ceasing operations what are my free or low cost options for local channels. The only cable type of service I can get is satellite (spotty at best). Comcast will not service our street.

Yeah I just got that email after they announced yesterday they would drop the donation nags to comply. It really sucks.

The only free or low cost options are grey market IPTV streamers.

Otherwise you are looking at $65 a month or so for YTTV or Hulu live and the like.

Have you guys looked into antennas? I know lots of people have really good luck with them. There's even a website that you can type your address into and it will tell you what the best antenna is for you and what stations you should be able to get. They even have a fancy free app to help you point the antenna in the right direction.

I have been using LoCast for a long time for local channels. With them ceasing operations what are my free or low cost options for local channels. The only cable type of service I can get is satellite (spotty at best). Comcast will not service our street.

I'm not in the corner of those who would like to receive paid content free of charge but as UT said IPTV streams are the best option for that at this point.

I use FuboTV for 60 something a month which provides all of our locals plus NESN for the Sox and Bruins, unlike YTTV.

Have you guys looked into antennas? I know lots of people have really good luck with them. There's even a website that you can type your address into and it will tell you what the best antenna is for you and what stations you should be able to get. They even have a fancy free app to help you point the antenna in the right direction.
I looked into it as that is truly free (after equipment) and the signal is less compressed than cable or satellite and certainly any streamer.

But I am too far away. To even have a chance, I would probably need to spend close to $1000 and even then it wouldn't be guaranteed.

I'm not in the corner of those who would like to receive paid content free of charge but as UT said IPTV streams are the best option for that at this point.

I use FuboTV for 60 something a month which provides all of our locals plus NESN for the Sox and Bruins, unlike YTTV.
How is the picture quality? Would consider switching from YTTV if it's good (and if they let me use the service in 4 different states like youtube does).

How is the picture quality? Would consider switching from YTTV if it's good (and if they let me use the service in 4 different states like youtube does).

Picture quality is quite good as they have a 4K notion, for a little more, I believe. Not sure about the 4 state thing though.

Broadcast tv is not free. It is paid for by ads. I was also paying for Locast ($5 a month). And I believe in getting something for free if it is offered. Take that garbage elsewhere.

Broadcast tv is not free. It is paid for by ads. I was also paying for Locast ($5 a month). And I believe in getting something for free if it is offered. Take that garbage elsewhere.

I don't think it's garbage as I have stated to BSF in the Pet Peeves thread. No matter their funding source content providers such as myself deserve to be paid for their work in the same manner as when I ran my business.

But whatever.

Link please?

How'd that work out fo r ya?

Did you cancel when you heard you could get it without paying?

We were all happy to pay a few bucks a month watch all our local channels with football games, etc. They asked us to continue to pay voluntarily because they needed the revenue to run their setup. As soon as people found they didn't have to pay, they went back to free in droves and unsurprisingly Locast had to shut down.

So now we save $5 a month but have lost the site that let us watch football. At least we can replace it with a $65 a month Fubo subscription.

How'd that work out fo r ya?

Did you cancel when you heard you could get it without paying?

We were all happy to pay a few bucks a month watch all our local channels with football games, etc. They asked us to continue to pay voluntarily because they needed the revenue to run their setup. As soon as people found they didn't have to pay, they went back to free in droves and unsurprisingly Locast had to shut down.

So now we save $5 a month but have lost the site that let us watch football. At least we can replace it with a $65 a month Fubo subscription.
You completely misread my post

You completely misread my post
Could be. I read "I was paying $5 for Locast" to mean you no longer were, and " I believe in getting something for free if it is offered. " to mean that you took them up on not having to pay anymore. If you were still going to pay them their $5 bucks, then I certainly did misread your post and I apologize.

I'm probably just annoyed because I'm now getting Fubo @ $65 a month because most of Locast's subscribers dropped their subscription so as not to pay for a well-worth-the-money service.

No offense intended. :toast:

I was still paying for Locast and not using it. Such a shame.

Maybe they will come back. This isn't the final verdict.

so whats the best way for someone in the midwest to watch patriots games live?

I'd like to know this as well. I'm in TX trying to get the Pats games. From my understanding the only way is to buy the NFL pass, is this true?
YouTube TV has been a godsend for this. It's a monthly fee, but it's instead of cable, not in addition to it. The trick is that you also need a GPS spoofer app. There are plenty of them available for free, and they're pretty much idiot proof. Spoof your GPS a bit before game time, and make sure you're set to record.

You can directly spoof some smart TVs, but to do our Roku TV you have to spoof the router. I'm too much of a chicken to do that - I've found routers to be touchy enough as it is. Especially the Google WiFi one we've had for a few years. But as long as it's set to record and I'm recording the game on my spoof'd phone, all I need to do is stay far enough behind to zip through commercials, and I'm good to go.

Could be. I read "I was paying $5 for Locast" to mean you no longer were, and " I believe in getting something for free if it is offered. " to mean that you took them up on not having to pay anymore. If you were still going to pay them their $5 bucks, then I certainly did misread your post and I apologize.

I'm probably just annoyed because I'm now getting Fubo @ $65 a month because most of Locast's subscribers dropped their subscription so as not to pay for a well-worth-the-money service.

No offense intended. :toast:
I no longer was because there is no more service. I believe in getting something for free means I am a frugal yankee born and bread. I paid until there was no more locast. I have always sung the praises of the service.

Another option for people who want to and have the knowledge to fool around with spoofing their IP address is using a European IP and then paying a couple of hundred dollars for NFL Gamepass. (a once per year payment)

so whats the best way for someone in the midwest to watch patriots games live?
Firestick/nVidia Sheild Pro, VPN, IPTV

Before you laugh, I've been streaming everything for over a year and once you get into it, it's seamless. High-Def, Program guide, Favorites lists, and with a 500GB SSD I added, I can even record.
Finding the best IPTV service is the trick.

I'm watching the local news from Buffalo right now and I saw every Bills game (There is about a 1 minute delay).

Link please?

Back