Locking a draft thread...

spacecrime

Reaction score
...Is a kick in the nuts to those of us who want to discuss draft picks. We started a new thread on each pick because UT asked for one, and I think it is a good idea.

But because a couple of shithead assholes can't stay on topic, you deny the rest of us the ability to talk about our draft picks.

You could have:

- Moderated the thread by deleting the off-topic and redundant posts

- Moderated by not allowing the assholes to post in the thread

- Assc;lowned the assholes (PLEASE read the instructions on why to assclown someone_

Instead you decided to take the lazy way out: just lock the thread. On behalf of all Pats fans who come here to discuss the Patriots, and with all due repsect, FUCK YOU!!!

I do understand your frustration and most of your suggestions do seem quit reasonable. But why not just tell us how you really feel about it. :popcorn:

I was posting in that thread! :banana:

I thought about posting in that thread but didn't find anything interesting enough to talk about at the time.

Then this morning the 1st thing I saw on twitter was this little tidbit

View: https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1520556391668326400

and I had a blast reading the answers. It seems not too many teams did well by their fans. Oh, the Pats got more than their share of the vote, for sure, but it seems like most every team has fans angry or puzzled about their team's draft. The Giants and Jets get honorable mention for being the least ridiculed. Pittsburgh picking Pickett got a lot of play and that was satisfying.

A lot of answers were funny.

View: https://twitter.com/adam_AGT_taylor/status/1520575174822748169

Some were right on.

View: https://twitter.com/MiniVanGundy/status/1520598217066520577

Many were clever.

View: https://twitter.com/gcasner/status/1520584115434700800

This 1 inspired me to see our draft differently

View: https://twitter.com/MIDNIITE_/status/1520640323747123200

Anyway, the entire thread lifted my spirits to want to learn more about a jackrabbit from S.D. so that's a good thing.

(y)

Yeah, I apologize for the tone/content of the OP. If you can't tell I was really really really pissed that we made a special thread for Zappe as requested, and then when dropkickflutie filled it with talk about Mason and being a general all-around dick, the mods locked the thread, not even trying to moderate it.

But I didn't handle it well and for that I apologize. Maybe next year if we still have meatheads trying to be jerks we post all draft talk in the omnibus draft thread, it will be too important to lock. I don't know. I just want to talk about and read about the Pats.

Yeah, I apologize for the tone/content of the OP. If you can't tell I was really really really pissed that we made a special thread for Zappe as requested, and then when dropkickflutie filled it with talk about Mason and being a general all-around dick, the mods locked the thread, not even trying to moderate it.

But I didn't handle it well and for that I apologize. Maybe next year if we still have meatheads trying to be jerks we post all draft talk in the omnibus draft thread, it will be too important to lock. I don't know. I just want to talk about and read about the Pats.

I agree with you 100%.

That said, I deleted my response because it was too harsh.

Something needs to change though.

While I understand the frustration, what I can say as a mod is that it takes two to tango. People post their thoughts and some of those thoughts are not as civil as they should, so we have a back and forth between posters. That makes threads go off the rails with insults and tangents.

If there is an inflammatory post, please don't engage in it -- report it instead and we'll do our best to remove said posts, hand out warnings and so forth. Having three or four pages with scattered posts insulting one another is very difficult to moderate as there are usually quotes involved. Even if the response with a quote is a civil response, I cannot edit out the quote, so that means deleting it becomes pointless. That then invites another poster to engage in said back and forth and it becomes harder to manage.

The idea is to keep things civil and have varying thoughts and discussions take place without butting heads. I realize it's easier said than done, but having to play referee every time there is a squabble turns into people being unhappy with the results.

While I understand the frustration, what I can say as a mod is that it takes two to tango. People post their thoughts and some of those thoughts are not as civil as they should, so we have a back and forth between posters. That makes threads go off the rails with insults and tangents.

If there is an inflammatory post, please don't engage in it -- report it instead and we'll do our best to remove said posts, hand out warnings and so forth. Having three or four pages with scattered posts insulting one another is very difficult to moderate as there are usually quotes involved. Even if the response with a quote is a civil response, I cannot edit out the quote, so that means deleting it becomes pointless. That then invites another poster to engage in said back and forth and it becomes harder to manage.

The idea is to keep things civil and have varying thoughts and discussions take place without butting heads. I realize it's easier said than done, but having to play referee every time there is a squabble turns into people being unhappy with the results.
I agree to a point. That point is when someone is attacking others personally and viciously, and/or when the forum is being disrupted.

I disagree that the answer to someone refusing to stop highjacking a thread (Bailey Zappe) is to close the thread.

Also, no one is asking the mods to "play referee every time there is a squabble." But by the time things are so bad that the only solution is to lock a thread that UT asked be created, it's kinda more than a squabble.

I'll admit that internet forum users are a lot like children. We often behave like them. In this regard, moderators are pretty much surrogate parents, ruling with a laissez-faire attitude hoping that their kids will learn and grow.

But...if one of your kids were harassing and teasing your other children to the point of disrupting their playtime, would you stop playtime or give the unruly child a timeout?

The forum is getting bad. Bad enough that I went back to another Patriots fan forum, one I used to go to in the early 2000's, before I discovered Patriots Planet. My old account was still active, and I've been reading there more than here. There is a ton of complaining about draft picks there, as well, but disagreeing with draft picks there and here at the Planet isn't the issue. It is the antagonist posting of a very few who are spoiling this forum as a pleasurable place to go.

I'll drop this now and (do my honest best) not to bring it up again. As Patriots players keep reminding me, all I should worry about are things I can control. Trying to make you do what I want is pointless and frustrating.

I agree with you 100%.

That said, I deleted my response because it was too harsh.

Something needs to change though.
I wanted to delete mine as well. I still cringe when someone posts in this thread. I let it be as a reminder to cool down before posting.

Back