LOL @ Chargers Fans

The best line was about how easy the Patriots' schedule has been. I can only shudder to think at the horror of what we'd be facing if the 4-1 Patriots had met up with juggernauts like the Rams, Seahawks, Jaguars, and Raiders.

Seriously. Are they that stupid?

Let's look at the numbers:

Bengals (2-3) W
Jets (5-1) L
Bills (0-5) W
Dolphins (3-2) W
Ravens (4-2) W

When calculating absolute Strength-of-Schedule (SOS) and Strength-of-Victory (SOV), you have to remember to adjust your opponents' records by removing the games that your team played against them. If you don't do that, you will penalize your own team's SOS/SOV rating for beating them, or reward your own team's SOS/SOV rating for losing to them. The NFL does not typically bother with this adjustment in their own calculations, because they only use SOS and SOV to break ties between teams with identical records. In that case, the adjustment will be the same between all tied teams, which will not affect the relative SOS or SOV comparison between those tied teams.

SOS: Patriots' opponents so far this year are 14-13 overall, which means they are 13-9 when playing teams not named the Patriots.

SOV: The opponents that the Patriots beat are 9-12 overall, which means they are 9-8 when playing teams not named the Patriots.

So, both absolute SOS and absolute SOV are better than .500. Yeah, that's a weak schedule. WTF?

trap game

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats had a let down game against a desperate SD team.

Classic trap.

let's all understand something-

undisciplined, poorly coached teams have "trap games". Dallas has trap games. Minnesota has trap games. San Diego has trap games. Chicago has trap games.

Baltimore doesn't have trap games. Pittsburgh doesn't have trap games. The Colts don't have trap games...and a guy that's won 3 Super Bowls sure as hell doesn't have trap games because he understands how to prepare his team for just such situations.

This ^.

Unless I'm misreading the stats, it appears that the Chargers are Number 1 in the league in pass defense, giving up just 164 yds/gm and a passer rating of 67.9, number six in rushing defense giving up just 3.7 yds/carry and first in passing yds/attempt at 9.

Their specials suck, but mn this won't be as easy as I wish.

Cheers, BostonTim

I'm not impressed with any of those stats. Look at the teams they've played. Not exactly offensive juggernauts.

I have to admit, this made me laugh.
So what? The way we're playing if we win the division at 8-8 we're one and done unless we play the colts.

:D

We should be underdogs. SD has the #1 defense and #1 offense in the league. They have outgained their opponents by over 1000 yards this season. We are on the road. They have a hostile fan or two. Tequilla is cheap. Sure we have a ginormous advantage at coach, but the coach doesn't play the game. Sure Gates is hurt, but Rivers is a leader who will play with broken appendages if necessary. Don't look at the win/loss record when evaluating this team. It's all about style points. If they can keep their own special teams off the field, they are dangerous.

We should be underdogs. SD has the #1 defense and #1 offense in the league. They have outgained their opponents by over 1000 yards this season. We are on the road. They have a hostile fan or two. Tequilla is cheap. Sure we have a ginormous advantage at coach, but the coach doesn't play the game. Sure Gates is hurt, but Rivers is a leader who will play with broken appendages if necessary. Don't look at the win/loss record when evaluating this team. It's all about style points. If they can keep their own special teams off the field, they are dangerous.

BB would agree with you:

The last time the Patriots went to San Diego, they were blown out 30-10 in a loss NT Vince Wilfork described by saying, “They embarrassed us.” Belichick noted, “what happened to us two years ago. We have a lot of work to do to get ready for them this week.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/10/19/patriots-coach-bill-belichick-on-san-diego-trip-we-know-what-it%e2%80%99s-like-to-go-out-there-and-get-hammered/

I don't get the sense that he's going to let the team get complacent going into this game.

I've been calling this a trap game. The Pats are coming off a high, the Chargers are coming off a low and are at home injured and with their backs against the wall. An injured animal is a dangerous animal.

Tedy Bruschi also calls the San Diego game a "trap game":

Let me state this clearly, this is a trap game. What coach Bill Parcells used to do for some of these games is hang mouse traps in the locker room to remind players to stay focused. The Patriots are coming off a huge win over the Baltimore Ravens. Everyone is excited that this team has finally arrived. The Patriots themselves are feeling very confident, as they should. Now, you're going up a against a struggling 2-4 team that has injuries to key players. Will the Pats let their guard down? I think not. This is a week where coaches earn their money not so much for game plans, but for keeping their teams humble and focused. Belichick is the best in the business at doing that. Pats win, but get pushed to the limit, 30-27.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=bruschi_tedy&id=5711846

<<
If they can keep their own special teams off the field, they are dangerous.
>>

Probably the key aspect of the game. Their STs suck, ours are really good. Everything else could be a wash between the offenses and defenses. Both offenses are good enough to put points up on the other team's D. Special teams is a huge edge. They need to come through for us in a big way this week.

We should be underdogs. SD has the #1 defense and #1 offense in the league.

I'm so tired of reading this. They have the #1 by yardage. Which, again, is as useless as tits on a bull until they start keeping score by yards instead of points. The Patriots have the #1 scoring offense.

They have outgained their opponents by over 1000 yards this season.

Their weak opponents, to be specific.

We are on the road.

Miami was on the road too. A place the Pats get hammered in. They did okay.

I'm not saying it's not a trap game. I'm not saying the Pats are guaranteed to win. But I'm sick of people talking about a 2-4 team as if it's still the team with VJ and LdT and Merriman on it (not to mention Gates will be severely limited, if he plays at all). There's a reason this version of the Chargers is 2-4. You are what you are.

I'm so tired of reading this. They have the #1 by yardage. Which, again, is as useless as tits on a bull until they start keeping score by yards instead of points. The Patriots have the #1 scoring offense.

Their weak opponents, to be specific.

Miami was on the road too. A place the Pats get hammered in. They did okay.

I'm not saying it's not a trap game. I'm not saying the Pats are guaranteed to win. But I'm sick of people talking about a 2-4 team as if it's still the team with VJ and LdT and Merriman on it (not to mention Gates will be severely limited, if he plays at all). There's a reason this version of the Chargers is 2-4. You are what you are.

Part of the reason the Chargers have high rankings on offense and defense is directly tied to their poor special teams play. When you give up punt returns and kickoff returns for TDs, your offense goes right back out on the field. And the defense is not out there to give up yards, so the defense looks better than it might be, as well.

This game will be decided by whether or not the youngsters that we have on this team come out complacent. Will they be fat and happy over the big, comeback overtime win against Baltimore last week, or will BB keep them motivated going into this game against a very talented and desperate Chargers team?

Rivers is entering this game without his top two receiving weapons, an O-Line that cannot protect him (18 sacks allowed), and a running game that's been borderline non-existent as of late. Defensively, they have a high ranking, but have yet to play a truly talented offense. Special teams they flat out suck. I don't think there is a better way to put it. However, they always seem to get up for the Pats as does their stadium. On top of that, we are an East Coast team going to the West Coast.

The bottom line is that if we play the game that we are capable of playing in all three phases of the game, then we should be able to beat this San Diego team like a rented mule. If we don't, we will lose this game. How motivated is the team? Who wants it more?

:Eason:

Also, I got banned from that forum. "Why?", you ask? Because my location said: "Your mother's ass".

Why does Welker appear to be angry at himself in your sig? Looks like's he's having a mental breakdown in the mirror.

BOU loves that Pats fans are incensed about being 4 point dogs on the road against a playoff team from last year with habitual slow starts. Such myopia. . .

As he said before, BOU says that if the typical Bolt home team takes the field, the Pats will not only get owned, but dominated thoroughly. If however, a tight, over-compensating "road" team takes the field, they'll get owned. BOU does not see this game being close.

If Gates and Floyd are out, the scales tip significantly though Rivers will move the ball regardless. The real key (besides our for-shit special teams), will be whether our D can contain your offense.

Also, the crowd won't be a factor unless we get up. Boltfans are rather aggravated with their squad so don't expect a lot of win in the 12th man department.

Only **** refer to themselves in 3rd person.

As for the game, I'd love to pick a blowout but I cannot do it. It will be close but we will pull out the victory. Pats 27 Chargers 21

Also, why do Chargers fans keep on bringing up the last time we played them as a reason we will lose? That was a completely different team, hell we didn't even have Tom Brady. Plus the Chargers are a completely different team.

Only **** refer to themselves in 3rd person.

As for the game, I'd love to pick a blowout but I cannot do it. It will be close but we will pull out the victory. Pats 27 Chargers 21

Also, why do Chargers fans keep on bringing up the last time we played them as a reason we will lose? That was a completely different team, hell we didn't even have Tom Brady. Plus the Chargers are a completely different team.

:shake::shake::shake:

BOU still thinks this is the Chargers of 2007. Lots of misplaced faith like every year. How many years is he going to be wrong about them before he stops thinking they're something special?

BOU still thinks this is the Chargers of 2007. Lots of misplaced faith like every year. How many years is he going to be wrong about them before he stops thinking they're something special?

Don't know if you were around for the sucky Pats years, but if you were did you still not root/hope/wish?

He's a fan of his team - nothing wrong with that. We're all biased and somewhat delusional when it comes to our teams.

Back