Looking at the Offense

mayoclinic

Sith Apprentice
Reaction score
As previously with Defense and with Special Teams, this thread looks at the offensive units for the Pats and the overall prognosis.

I. Offensive Units

QB

It starts and ends with Tom Brady. Brady was uncharacteristically erratic in 2009 despite posting good numbers overall. His accuracy, red zone execution and decision making were very uneven, and his numbers were bolstered by big games against Tennessee, Tampa Bay and Jacksonville. Many people expected Brady to step onto the field in 2009 in mid-2007 form, and that just wasn't realistic. He's now had a full season and off-season to recover, and despite concerns about his west coach training program he should be much better in 2010. He also had to adjust to a new offensive coordinator in 2009, and should be more comfortable this year.

Brian Hoyer looked adequate as a backup last year, after Kevin O'Connell was unexpectedly cut in training camp. 7th round pick Zac Robinson was considered a steal by some, drawing comparisons to Rich Gannon, among others.

Overall prognosis: As long as Brady is healthy it's very good. Even in an off year Brady was one of the better QB's in the league, and I think there's a good chance he will be significantly improved in 2010. I wouldn't expect 2007 numbers - nor do I think those are necessarily good - but I think his accuracy, decision making, red zone execution and confidence will all be significantly better than in 2009.

RB

The unit appears essentially unchanged from 2010, unless UDFA rookie Pat Paschall manages to unseat BenJarvus Green-Ellis as the 5th RB. Carrying 5 RBs again is likely given the age and attrition at the position. The Pats are unique in carrying 3 RBs over age 33 (geriatric for a running back). 3 players (Maroney, Morris and Taylor) are in their contract years. Despite Taylor and Morris missing most of the season to injury last year the Pats had 3 rushers with over 300 yards (almost 4, with Taylor falling just short because of injury) and over 1900 yards rushing (120 YPG average). Kevin Faulk was a bright light on a somewhat maligned unit.

Overall prognosis: Bleh. The Pats did not seem terribly committed to the running game in 2009, often abandoning it for no apparent reason after running the ball effectively early on. Maroney showed signs of having his best season but then had a case of fumbleitis, and was benched towards the end of the season. Age and injury concerns are a big question mark for the unit. The unit performed better than many exected and is perhaps capable of still more if the coaching staff commits to running the ball, but it is clearly one of the bigger question marks on offense. The failure to address the unit in the offseason or draft left many perplexed.

WR

Randy Moss is back for a 4th season at #1 WR, and is in a contract year. Moss played injured much of 2009 and was somewhat absent at time, while still putting up pro bowl numbers. Wes Welker was a huge loss at the end of 2009 but appears to be progressing much faster than expected in his recovery. He is likely to start the season on PUP, but could still be a significant factor in 2009. Second year man Julian Edelman proved to be a good understudy to Welker at the slot in 2009, and should be capable in his absence. Veteran Torry Holt brings maturity and leadership to the position, and a reputation for crisp route running which was notably absent last year with the ill-fated Joey Galloway. Brandon Tate was essentially on IR in 2009, but appears healthy and has been singled out by Brady this Spring for his route running. Rookie Taylor Price is raw but has huge upside at the position. Sam Aiken showed flashes of talent in 2009, and is a leader on special teams. And former Pat David Patten comes back for one more try at the roster. He has the benefit of speed and comfort with Brady, who has praised him several times this Spring.

Overall prognosis: Better than many think. Despite the injury to Welker, it's quite possibly the deepest and most talented WR unit ever under BB. The 2009 team had little other than Moss and Welker/Edelman at the slot, who accounted for over 62% of receptions (243/390), 64% of passing TDs (18/28) and 65% of passing yards (2971/4540). There was minimal productivity from the other WRs or from the TE position, with running backs accounting for the majority of the additional passing receptions (74) and yardage (708). This made the passing offense often predictable, and allowed defenses to hone in on stopping Moss and Welker. Even with Welker injuryed 2010 offers a large number of new targets in Holt, Tate and Price, plus multiple targets at TE (see below). Matt Williamson from Scouts Inc. has identified the Pats as one of the teams which he believes will be markedly improved in the receiving area:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5215473

TE

This position has been completely rebuilt. Ben Watson and Chris Baker are gone, with their 43 catches for 546 yards and 7 TDs between them. Veteran Algy Crumpler is a tenacious blocker and was once a terrific receiving weapon. Rookies Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez offer more potential at the position than we've had since 2004.

Over prognosis: Very optimistic. The picture was somewhat gloomy heading into the 2010 draft, but BB and the FO pulled off a coup in snagging both Gronkowski and Hernandez, who should complement each other well. Either of them could exceed the total productivity of the TE unit from 2009. Gronkowski and Crumpler should markedly improve the unit's blocking and red zone productivity. Hernandez offers a stretch-the-field presence and should also be effectively operating out of the slot, and the capability to create mismatches that we haven't had before.

OT

This unit will probably be unchanged from 2010, with Matt Light, Sebastian Vollmer, Nick Kaczur and Mark LeVoir likely to be the 4 guys on the final 53. Rookie Thomas Welch and second year man George Bussey appear destined for PUP/IR or the PS, unless they shows a lot in training camp and/or someone is injured or traded. The big question is who will start, with the most likely combination being Light at LT and Vollmer at RT. It's also possible that one of Light or Kaczur could be moved inside to guard, as could Bussey.

Overall prognosis: Fairly good. Vollmer was a revelation last year and shows signs of being a pro bowl caliber player at either RT or LT. He is a major upgrade from Nick Kaczur, who was adequate but not exceptional as a starter. Kaczur, LeVoir and Welch offer great versatility and depth. Finding a long term starter to pair with Vollmer is an issue, but not so much for 2010. In 2009 the unit has banged up, with all 3 starters missing significant injury time. Hopefully the unit will be a bit healthier and more stable in 2010.

OG/C

Overall prognosis: Questionable. Along with RB this is the biggest question mark on the offense. Logan Mankins was the most consistent performer on the OL in 2009, and is currently looking for a long term contract. He is holding out from OTAs, and it remains to be seen whether this could lead to a long term holdout reminiscent of the Deion Branch fiasco in 2006. Stephen Neal is exceptional when healthy but is aging and has not played a full season in several years. Dan Koppen is a find tactician and field general but struggles against bigger NTs. Dan Connolly was adequate as a backup in 2009 but is questionable as a long-term starter. Behind them are a host of inexperienced and unproven guys: Ryan Wendell, George Bussey, Rich Ohnrberger and Spencer Larsen. We will need one or more of these guys to step up in a big way if there are injuries or if Mankins' situation is not resolved.

II. Offensive Prognosis

Many people had unrealistic expectations for the 2009 offense, expecting a reprise of 2007: 35+ PPG, with Brady throwing for TDs at a record pace. That didn't happen for a number of reasons:

1. Brady was still recovering from injury and was not up to his 2007 form.
2. The Pats didn't have adequate options after Moss and Welker, allowing teams to focus on stopping them.
3. Defenses have adjusted to the spread offense, and we will probably never see the kind of offensive blitzkrieg that we saw in the first half of 2007.

The offense performed respectably, finishing in third in YPG with 397.3 and 6th in PPG at 26.7. But the rushing game was notably absent at times, the offense seemed very predictable with Brady operating out of the spread most of the time and focusing on Moss and Welker. Red zone execution was poor, leaving a host of points off the board. The offense disappeared in the second half of many games, and was unable to score when it had to.

Much of the blame was attributed to new de-facto OC Bill O'Brien, or to Brady. Hopefully both will be better in 2010. Brady has had a full year to recover from his knee injury and get his timing and confidence back. O'Brien will hopefully be a bit more imaginative in his playcalling this time around - even Josh McDaniels struggled as OC his first year. And the Pats have more weapons on offense than they have probably ever had, suggesting that they are going to adopt the philosophy which led New Orleans to the Super Bowl in 2009 - throw too many weapons out there for the other team to cover.

IF Brady recovers his form, IF he gets comfortable with all his new toys, IF the coaching staff mixes things up more effectively, and IF the OL holds up, then this offense could be special. The worst case scenario is probably still an improvement over 2009, which wasn't terribly bad by most teams' standards.

I'm hoping for 28-32 PPG with better passing/running balance, better ball distribution and better red zone efficiency. That, combined with an expected improvement on defense, should put us in much stronger shape than in 2009.

"It starts and ends with Tom Brady. Brady was uncharacteristically erratic in 2009 despite posting good numbers overall. His accuracy, red zone execution and decision making were very uneven, and his numbers were bolstered by big games against Tennessee, Tampa Bay and Jacksonville. Many people expected Brady to step onto the field in 2009 in mid-2007 form, and that just wasn't realistic. He's now had a full season and off-season to recover, and despite concerns about his west coach training program he should be much better in 2010. He also had to adjust to a new offensive coordinator in 2009, and should be more comfortable this year.

Great post by the way, one thing here. I can look at most Qb's and say 3 or 4 games bolstered their stats, not sure thats fair. I mean Nobody else did that against the titans, not even Peyton. Anywa, I think the offense will improve with what was added. I really think a lot of last years problem was the lack of a 3rd option, and brady only feeling comfortable throwing to welker and moss. It really killed any unpredictablity with the offense. Maybe some of that was bradys fault, or the offensive coordinators fault, but it was as vanilla as it gets.

I can look at most Qb's and say 3 or 4 games bolstered their stats, not sure thats fair. I mean Nobody else did that against the titans, not even Peyton. Anywa, I think the offense will improve with what was added. I really think a lot of last years problem was the lack of a 3rd option, and brady only feeling comfortable throwing to welker and moss. It really killed any unpredictablity with the offense. Maybe some of that was bradys fault, or the offensive coordinators fault, but it was as vanilla as it gets.

Absolutely. Calling last year's offense "vanilla" is an insult to a perfectly fine flavor. I tried to say that even Brady at 80% is better than 90% of the QBs in the NFL. Besides rust, hesitancy and timing issues, poor play calling and lack of a legitimate 3rd receiving option clearly hurt.

Absolutely. Calling last year's offense "vanilla" is an insult to a perfectly fine flavor. I tried to say that even Brady at 80% is better than 90% of the QBs in the NFL. Besides rust, hesitancy and timing issues, poor play calling and lack of a legitimate 3rd receiving option clearly hurt.

I do not blame rust, because his timing did not really improve as the season went along, it just was inconsistant the whole year. I do think he might have been hesitant, and this could have become worse when he cracked the rips and broke the finger. Teams knew what we were running before we did. The saints game was a good example of this.

Really great stuff, mayoclinic.

I agree with everything across the board (save for saying Aiken showed signs of talent last season...he belongs nowhere near the field on anything save for an ST unit...)

I'm hoping for a 30+ PPG team as well - and I think its a reasonable expectation. Ultimately, what's even more important is its consistency and its efficiency - and I think both could rival, or exceed, the 2007 offense. Its just stacked with potential. I have a huge amount of optimism in the unknowns...Price, Tate, Edelman, Holt, Gronk, Crump, Hernandez. Heck, throw Maroney in there, who was running hard until he fumbled his job away.

If even 25% of the unknowns turn into contributing assets - it will greatly improve the offense over what it was last season - in which it performed reasonably well against a slew of top tier passing defenses. Welker will be back at some point. Moss will be Moss. If, for instance, Holt is a reliable guy and Tate turns into a weapon - then you throw in Gronk or Hernandez - already you have a offense that would be just brutal to try and defend.

Really great stuff, mayoclinic.

I agree with everything across the board (save for saying Aiken showed signs of talent last season...he belongs nowhere near the field on anything save for an ST unit...)

I'm hoping for a 30+ PPG team as well - and I think its a reasonable expectation. Ultimately, what's even more important is its consistency and its efficiency - and I think both could rival, or exceed, the 2007 offense. Its just stacked with potential. I have a huge amount of optimism in the unknowns...Price, Tate, Edelman, Holt, Gronk, Crump, Hernandez. Heck, throw Maroney in there, who was running hard until he fumbled his job away.

If even 25% of the unknowns turn into contributing assets - it will greatly improve the offense over what it was last season - in which it performed reasonably well against a slew of top tier passing defenses. Welker will be back at some point. Moss will be Moss. If, for instance, Holt is a reliable guy and Tate turns into a weapon - then you throw in Gronk or Hernandez - already you have a offense that would be just brutal to try and defend.

Thanks. I really think the model could (should?) be more of a 2009 New Orleans offense than a 2007 Patriots offense - no single dominant guy, but too many talented options to cover.

Some encouraging comments from the Pats WRs at OTAs, per Reiss:

- "Veteran receiver Torry Holt on his first impressions of New England practices: 'It's been good. A lot of good work, guys getting after it, guys really focusing in and trying to do it right, and improve as a football team as a whole. The people here have been great. The organization has been great. The welcome has been absolutely outstanding. I'm happy and excited about being here.' "

- "Second-year receiver Brandon Tate on if he feels like his previously injured knee has responded: 'I feel good. I'm out here running around, doing everything with everybody, just getting ready. ... The whole offseason I was doing everything [workout wise]. I'm real comfortable.' "

- "Veteran receiver David Patten touched on how the team's offensive system has evolved from when he was last with the team (2001-2004). At 35, he's the oldest player on the roster, but he hasn't felt like it. 'Believe it or not, I feel wonderful. The body feels regenerated, renewed. So far, so good,' Patten said, before cautioning that the true test will come once the pads are on in training camp."

So now we now the difference between the 3: Holt says "it's been good", Tate says "I feel good", and Patten says "so far, so good". :blink:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...id/4678910/sound-bites-from-patriots-players

Some encouraging comments from the Pats WRs at OTAs, per Reiss:

- "Veteran receiver Torry Holt on his first impressions of New England practices: 'It's been good. A lot of good work, guys getting after it, guys really focusing in and trying to do it right, and improve as a football team as a whole. The people here have been great. The organization has been great. The welcome has been absolutely outstanding. I'm happy and excited about being here.' "

- "Second-year receiver Brandon Tate on if he feels like his previously injured knee has responded: 'I feel good. I'm out here running around, doing everything with everybody, just getting ready. ... The whole offseason I was doing everything [workout wise]. I'm real comfortable.' "

- "Veteran receiver David Patten touched on how the team's offensive system has evolved from when he was last with the team (2001-2004). At 35, he's the oldest player on the roster, but he hasn't felt like it. 'Believe it or not, I feel wonderful. The body feels regenerated, renewed. So far, so good,' Patten said, before cautioning that the true test will come once the pads are on in training camp."

So now we now the difference between the 3: Holt says "it's been good", Tate says "I feel good", and Patten says "so far, so good". :blink:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...id/4678910/sound-bites-from-patriots-players

Poor.

Very selective choice of quote IMO.

Excellent post. Can't really say that there's anything I disagree with on there. Fantastic assessment.

I'm really hoping to see the offense go back to using more screens and play action like it used to, instead of operating almost exclusively out of the spread.

Unpredictability beats predictability any day. Matt Bowen from the NFP had a piece today on how Brady and Moss beat the Tampa 2 against the Colts last year for a 63 yard TD pass, noting: "The key here is the play action. Like we talked about above, the Pats are in a running set, pull the open side (weak side) guard, and running back Laurence Maroney goes through his normal footwork as if he’s getting the ball. QB Tom Brady completed the fake, and because of the max protection scheme, has plenty of time to throw the ball down the field. However, why does this turn into an explosive play for the TD against a defense that’s designed to force the QB to throw underneath? ... Safeties in this defense are taught to read run/pass by looking at the No. 1 receiver (Moss). He will tell you everything just by his release. But as we’ll see in the replay, Bethea has his eyes in the backfield and takes a step toward the line of scrimmage due to the play action. And if you look in the backfield with Randy Moss aligned on the outside — forget about it."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-Brady-to-Moss.html

Operate out of the spread with no RB and the DBs can drop back into coverage early and double up on Moss and/or Welker. Confuse them and get them to look into the backfield, and it's a whole different kettle of fish.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

Asked if there has been progress in contract talks with quarterback Tom Brady and offensive lineman Logan Mankins, Kraft said that he wasn’t negotiating the deals so he wasn’t in position to comment.

Those are two young men that will be on this team, and two important people to us for the future,” he said.

I hope they get signed. Good to hear Mr. Kraft say that about Mankins.
I heard debate yesterday on radio that the Pats may want to get Brady under contract now but it's a standoff on who signs first...Brady or Manning. Apparently neither club wants to go first was the thinking. I can see that. Setting the bar, 1 getting paid more than the other, etc. was the argument.

Dilfer thinks the Pats offense was exposed last year and be overhauled or at least seriously tweaked this year. I think we expect less spread as well.

The New England Patriots offense has been discovered and is in need of an overhaul.

That's ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer's belief based on what he saw last year and he projects the Patriots will transform into an offense not so reliant on the spread.

"I think they've been exposed system-wise," Dilfer said.

The Patriots finished third in total offense at 397.3 yards a game, third in passing offense at 277.2 yards a game and sixth in scoring with 26.7 points a game. But Dilfer didn't like what he saw late in the season. The Patriots scored 21 points or fewer in four of their last six regular-season games and were bombed out of the playoffs without injured slot receiver Wes Welker.

What signaled a change to Dilfer was the Patriots' push to improve at tight end. They signed free agent Alge Crumpler and drafted Rob Gronkowski in the second round and Aaron Hernandez in the fourth round.

"Bill Belichick has forgotten more football in the last 20 minutes we've talked than I'll probably ever know," Dilfer told me over the phone. "I trust the fact he can fix it. That's why they went after tight ends [in the offseason].

"They might be the model of why the spread can't work in the NFL. When you're around great coaches in the NFL long enough, you learn why tight end is such a valuable position because it allows you to multiple offensively. You can protect your quarterback with quick throws, with maximizing protection, with the run game.

"If they can incorporate those tight ends soon enough and change their system, they can be highly effective again offensively. But if they go back and try the shotgun with three-receiver sets -- I think the numbers were up to 70 percent of the time -- I think they're going to struggle."

Dilfer called Hernandez his "favorite player in the whole draft" because he can threaten the deep middle of the field.

"People say he can't play in-line tight end," Dilfer said. "I think that's crazy. Shannon Sharpe was a lesser blocker than Hernandez, and he played in-line tight end."
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/13998/dilfer-patriots-offense-exposed-last-year

Dilfer thinks the Pats offense was exposed last year and be overhauled or at least seriously tweaked this year. I think we expect less spread as well.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/13998/dilfer-patriots-offense-exposed-last-year

I hate to agree with Trent Dilfer, but he's right.

Matt Bowen from the NFP outlined today how the Pats beat the Tampa 2 against the Colts in 2009 on the Brady to Moss 63 yard TD (link posted previously in this thread). It wasn't with the spread offense. The key elements were:

1. Using play action to get the safety to look into the backfield and give Moss a split second to get past him.
2. Putting Moss in motion to get off the jam.
3. Maximizing protection to give Brady enough time to go deep.

Unpredictability beats predictability every time. The spread is just too damn predictable. It gives Brady a nice view of the field, but it allows defenses to jam and double the receivers with relative impunity.

I'm thrilled that we should see more 2 TE sets this year, and I desperately want to see more play action, screens and the like. I'm hoping that Gronk and Hernandez are part of a movement back to a less predictable offense.

I hate to agree with Trent Dilfer, but he's right.

Matt Bowen from the NFP outlined today how the Pats beat the Tampa 2 against the Colts in 2009 on the Brady to Moss 63 yard TD (link posted previously in this thread). It wasn't with the spread offense. The key elements were:

1. Using play action to get the safety to look into the backfield and give Moss a split second to get past him.
2. Putting Moss in motion to get off the jam.
3. Maximizing protection to give Brady enough time to go deep.

Unpredictability beats predictability every time. The spread is just too damn predictable. It gives Brady a nice view of the field, but it allows defenses to jam and double the receivers with relative impunity.

I'm thrilled that we should see more 2 TE sets this year, and I desperately want to see more play action, screens and the like. I'm hoping that Gronk and Hernandez are part of a movement back to a less predictable offense.

I enjoyed that piece by Bowen showing the importance of the play action. I still hold out hope for a released veteran RB to be picked up by the Pats. Not one over the hill but one who can run with power and who is good at picking up blitzes. I'm just not sold on Sam Morris or Fred Taylor. :grovel:

I enjoyed that piece by Bowen showing the importance of the play action. I still hold out hope for a released veteran RB to be picked up by the Pats. Not one over the hill but one who can run with power and who is good at picking up blitzes. I'm just not sold on Sam Morris or Fred Taylor. :grovel:

It's not at all inconceivable that the Pats could pick up another back when training camp cuts come around. But either way, I think the position is in for a major overheal next year, the way TE was this year.

It's not at all inconceivable that the Pats could pick up another back when training camp cuts come around. But either way, I think the position is in for a major overhaul next year, the way TE was this year.

Man, I hope so. And I agree with you about Mark Ingram perhaps not being an elite RB. I have 3 brothers, 2 sisters and my mom and dad who live in B'ham and all are avid Tide fans. They think he is very good but is more a product of his offensive line. One thing is for sure, he's no Bo Jackson.

More from Reiss on the Graham article quoting Dilfer:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bostonnew-e...4678986/balancing-the-spread-and-physicality

Reiss speculates whether "there is an offensive identity shift taking place behind the scenes." I certainly hope so. I hate the bleepin spread offense - that and the "prevent" defense are my too least favorite schemes.

The Pats used to be a physical team that beat opponents up, and mixed the quick strike in effectively with a punishing balanced attack. Then they morphed into a finesse blitzkrieg offense that worked marvelously for half a season until teams started to figure out that all you needed to do was (1) jam the receivers at the line, (2) double up on Moss, and (3) spy Welker. There wasn't anything else.

I actually agree with almost every word written in the original ESPN article. The spread may work well in college, but I don't believe it can be a long term effective offense in the NFL. It's just too predictable. And certainly when you don't have any options after your top 2 receivers, the way the Pats did last year.

BB has already said that the NFL is cyclical and that he sees it going back to a somewhat more run-oriented and physical style of play. I hope we'll start see it this year.

The spread will have a role. But 70% of the time is ridiculous. And boring. And not very effective.

Back