Looking at the Patriots - 2014

Ryan91

RIP Gran - Always love you
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Following on from the success of the previous "Looking at the Patriots" Threads from the '11, '12 and '13 seasons. I feel that I ought to start this thread up with a bit of news relating to the 2014 season, even though the new league year hasn't yet started.

The New England Patriots took care of a housekeeping matter on Monday afternoon, signing seven of their eight practice squad players to reserve/future contracts.

The lone exception was defensive lineman Marcus Forston, who was not signed to a deal.

The reserve/future deal is effectively the equivalent of a free-agent contract for these players, keeping them with the franchise and giving them a shot to compete for the active roster leading into next season. They are often two years in length.

The following players were signed to deals:
OL Braxton Cave
OT Jordan Devey
WR Reggie Dunn
OL R.J. Mattes
RB/WR Sam McGuffie
WR Greg Orton
LB Taylor Reed

The practice squad has served as a pipeline for development for the Patriots in the past, with such players as center Ryan Wendell working their way up from the taxi squad into an active-roster starter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...4757973/patriots-sign-seven-on-practice-squad

As expected there are a couple Offensive Linemen in there, no doubt a couple of Scar's pet projects. Hopefully one or more of these guys can light a fire under a couple of guys butts on the O-line and result in improved performances from some who were perhaps underwhelming this year.

Just in case anyone was wondering what a reserve/futures contract is, Grog provided us with the definition last year.

Basically, when a player is signed to “reserve/futures” contracts means they are being signed for the upcoming season even though that season does not officially begin until the official start of the league’s new year as outlined by the NFL. Only players who were not on any NFL team’s active roster when the previous season ended are eligible for these types of contracts. If they were under contract, then they would remain so until the league’s new year starts. Players who were on practice squads at the end of the season are eligible to sign with any team. Hence the reason that you see many practice squad players being signed by their current team for the upcoming year to a reserve/futures contract. That way the team can continue to work with a player they’re familiar with and hopefully get them ready for an eventual roster spot on game day.

Here's hoping we can improve this year and actually have a roster that isn't decimated by injuries.

Would Forston be P/S eligible next year or has he used up his eligibility?

Would Forston be P/S eligible next year or has he used up his eligibility?

I believe he would be, only played in 3 games this year, and this was only his second year in the league. 2014 will be his 3rd in the league since going Undrafted in 2012

<s>@</s>MikeReiss Changes on Patriots coaching staff as Pepper Johnson will not be back in 2014. More to come.

That...is quite a shakeup. I imagine he is going somewhere else rather than getting fired though...maybe some changes on the defensive coaching staff is not the worst thing ever.

That...is quite a shakeup. I imagine he is going somewhere else rather than getting fired though...maybe some changes on the defensive coaching staff is not the worst thing ever.

Pepper has been the LBs coach since '12, before that he was DLine coach (2004-2012) as well as ILB coach and Assistant LB Coach.

Suspect that he's going elsewhere (Houston wouldn't surprise me - mentioned already)

I suspect that someone will be promoted from within the organisation.

How long has Pepper been the LBs coach since '12, before that he was DLine coach. I suspect that someone will be promoted from within the organisation.

Maybe we need coaching help from.....the outside....*runs away*

Maybe we need coaching help from.....the outside....*runs away*

If the Pats look to hire from outside the organisation then that's fine by me, however it would seem that new faces generally start on the bottom rung with the team, unless they're extremely experienced.

If the Pats look to hire from outside the organisation then that's fine by me, however it would seem that new faces generally start on the bottom rung with the team, unless they're extremely experienced.

I just think maybe we have hit a rut from a coaching standpoint....not BB of course, but it seems doing the same thing over and over and not succeeding is not always the best way. I would not mind getting some outside perspective in here.

Like Dom Capers? :coffee:

Patriots just announced they signed DT Marcus Forston to a future contract.

Like Dom Capers? :coffee:

Capers was an assistant secondary coach for one season (2008) while passing through on his way to his next DC gig. I think that was just BB providing some temporary employment for a buddy.

The practice squad has served as a pipeline for development for the Patriots in the past, with such players as center Ryan Wendell working their way up from the taxi squad into an active-roster starter.

This is kinda misleading. During BB's tenure, only about 8 guys or so from the PS have even made it as far as a regular gig on the 53-man, most of them primarily special teamers. The only two I can remember who graduated to starter are Wendell and BGE in the past 14 seasons. That's only two out of over a hundred.

This is kinda misleading. During BB's tenure, only about 8 guys or so from the PS have even made it as far as a regular gig on the 53-man, most of them primarily special teamers. The only two I can remember who graduated to starter are Wendell and BGE in the past 14 seasons. That's only two out of over a hundred.

Arrington?. I cannot remember for sure now, but I would say that he was also in practice squad for a while in his first season with Pats.

If we need a GM I hear Polian is free, at the very least he can be an apologist for us for years after he leaves.

I bet if he were our GM, Welker would have been fined (at a minimum) for taking out Talib like that.

popcorn

I bet if he were our GM, Welker would have been fined (at a minimum) for taking out Talib like that.

popcorn

And 10 years from now, you would hear that we did it the right way.

Back