Looking at the Patriots - 2015

Roberto71

Reaction score
I know this is madness, we're still in the regular season....

But an interesting schedule next season. The NFC East and the AFC South are the two conferences we'll face. Dallas and Giants we'll play away. Houston and Indy away as well.

We'll play the winners of the AFC West away so we'll be in Denver.

Home :
Buffalo, Miami, NY Jets, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Philadelphia, Washington, AFC North*

Away:
Buffalo, Miami, NY Jets, Houston, Indianapolis, Dallas, NY Giants, AFC West*

Might be a good thread to list who is in free agency and who we really do have to re-sign?

2015 Unrestricted Free Agents:

RB Shane Vereen
RB Stevan Ridley
OL Marcus Cannon
OG Dan Connolly
DT Alan Branch
DE/LB Akeem Ayers
LB Jonathan Casillas
LB Chris White
FS Devin McCourty
SS Patrick Chung
K Stephen Gostkowski
LS Danny Aiken

Restricted Free Agents:

RB Brandon Bolden
LB Darius Fleming

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:

FB James Develin
WR Brian Tyms
WR Greg Orton
DT Sealver Siliga
LB James Morris

Re-Signing ERFAs is a non-issue anyway. Bolden, Fleming, White and Aiken are minimum salary types, so that reduces that list a bit.

The Revis situation, McCourty and the Ghost should be the highest priorities imo.

An early guess for the Patriots 2015 cap number by Miguel from patscap.com is $143.25M. I think the Patriots have about $136M counting against the 2015 cap right now, so that would leave them with about $7M in cap space.

I think the Patriots will spend a ton this offseason and sign everyone they want specifically re-doing Revis, McCourty, Ghost, etc. I think they may even sign John Lester, too.

Re-Signing ERFAs is a non-issue anyway. Bolden, Fleming, White and Aiken are minimum salary types, so that reduces that list a bit.

The Revis situation, McCourty and the Ghost should be the highest priorities imo.

An early guess for the Patriots 2015 cap number by Miguel from patscap.com is $143.25M. I think the Patriots have about $136M counting against the 2015 cap right now, so that would leave them with about $7M in cap space.

That includes the $25mm hit for Revis, I imagine.

What they should do:
Revis, McCourty, Ridley, Ghost, Siliga and Connolly - make a team-friendly run at Alan Branch and Shane Vereen too.

What they will do: McCourty. Maybe Ghost. Maybe they try to leverage Siliga into something. I get the sneaking suspicion Revis is playing at that $25mm number next year, regardless of how they finish this year.

Was thinking about the LB play reading through some things, went to check on Mayo's stuff.

He'd be a good bit of dead money for next year ($750-ish K before June 1st, and like $4 million after). But he has a nearly $8mm number for 2016 which would be totally free of dead money. (So if they cut him, they'd save $8mil)

SO, I foresee this conversation in the offseason:

"Gee, we love you here in New England, the fans love you and all - but I mean, you're getting cut after next year, assuming you make the squad this year. Let's face it, not only are our linebackers younger and more athletic without you in the lineup, but they come a lot cheapers.

Here's the reality, Jerod. We like you and want to have you here, and you're under contract until 2017. There's no chance in hell we're paying a 2-down linebacker $8 million bucks who will be over 30, with multiple ligament surgeries under your belt. And no other team is either. So we need to talk about your salary."

That's an easy way to maneuver some cap space for Revis, just off the top of my head.

2015 Unrestricted Free Agents:

RB Shane Vereen
RB Stevan Ridley
OL Marcus Cannon
OG Dan Connolly
DT Alan Branch
DE/LB Akeem Ayers
LB Jonathan Casillas
LB Chris White
FS Devin McCourty
SS Patrick Chung
K Stephen Gostkowski
LS Danny Aiken

Restricted Free Agents:

RB Brandon Bolden
LB Darius Fleming

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:

FB James Develin
WR Brian Tyms
WR Greg Orton
DT Sealver Siliga
LB James Morris

Just reading that list gives me a major headache. :facepalm:

I just can't...yet. :shake:

He's not taking a home town discount. If he does, than the Belichick kool-aid does, in fact, exist. They'll have plenty of money next offseason (Mayo is out of here) so if they want Revis, he'll be here.

I'm really worried about Ghost leavin, kickers are so underrated and he's one of the best in the biz.

He's not taking a home town discount. If he does, than the Belichick kool-aid does, in fact, exist. They'll have plenty of money next offseason (Mayo is out of here) so if they want Revis, he'll be here.
I think the probability of keeping Revis drops dramatically if (You hear that Karma Gods? I said IF) we win the Super Bowl.

Yeah, and according to NFL.com our Defense is ranked 20th in the league.

3518z8j.jpg

It's about the eye test. To me there's only one kicker I'd consider taking over Ghost and that's Tucker in Baltimore.

I'm not sayin we back up the truck and start throwing cash at him, but if it's possible I'd love to keep him. Look at what Denver is going through (Delightfully because of their own mismanagement) with their kicking situation.

Back