Looking at the Patriots - 2018

3. Extend Brandin Cooks. The 24-year-old is entering the fifth-year option of his rookie deal, and while the Patriots don't typically pay wideouts No. 1 receiver money, Cooks might be an exception. The Patriots likely will change their offense some after Rob Gronkowski retires, a move that could come as early as this offseason. In the absence of a replacement for Gronk -- and there might not be a player in football history who is similar to him -- the Pats will think about replacing their star tight end as the long-term focal point of their offense with a star wideout.

Cooks probably isn't in line to come away with the sort of top-tier deals Odell Beckham Jr. and Mike Evans are about to sign, but he won't be far off. The five-year, $81 million extension DeAndre Hopkins inked last August should be similar to whatever deal Cooks ends up signing, whether that's in New England or elsewhere.

Dear football gods, please don't let them sign Cooks to that kind of deal. He should never be mentioned in the same sentence with DeAndre Hopkins.

Cooks whould not get that kind of deal either. He does not fight for the reception. Give me one of those kind of guys, A. Boldin style.

Cooks is a pure burner and a great route runner. He is not a possession guy. He averaged 16 yards a reception last year. He is a 1000 yard receiver. He will command top dollar as an outside speed guy. We have other WRs to go over the middle - Edelman, Amendola, Mitchell (assuming he is healthy), Britt. Cooks brings the unique speed skill set to take the top off. We don't beat Jax without him.

Cooks is a pure burner and a great route runner. He is not a possession guy. He averaged 16 yards a reception last year. He is a 1000 yard receiver. He will command top dollar as an outside speed guy. We have other WRs to go over the middle - Edelman, Amendola, Mitchell (assuming he is healthy), Britt. Cooks brings the unique speed skill set to take the top off. We don't beat Jax without him.

If we are talking 14m a year we can find others how can help us beat Jax. The 8m option should be mandatory concidering what we gave up to get him here.

If we are talking 14m a year we can find others how can help us beat Jax. The 8m option should be mandatory concidering what we gave up to get him here.

Yeah. I think we should just pick up the $8mil but the risk is the WR market will be even higher next year so lock him now at a lower rate. We gave up the #1 for Cooks with the understanding that we would pay top dollar to keep him. He is 24, he is a legit speed guy, 1000 yard receiver AND also not a diva which is rare for WRs. Brady loves him because of that and his work ethic which is also rare. He is also durable unlike our other WRs so I am fine with paying him a big contract. Also, we have yet to see just how much more explosive/impactful he can be with Edelman back in the line up.

Now hopefully he’s learned to A) not hurdle and B) not run around like schoolyard tag only to get ear holed blind side.

I was hoping for more from Cooks. He can't do the"Edelman catch". And the fight for the ball could better.

Was I expecting too much?

Martellus says he wants to continue playing. He's due $2M soon. BB has to be careful or Alan Branch v2.0

David Harris has retired.

Pats get a 4th round compensatory pick for Jabaal Sheard. #136 overall.

Martellus says he wants to continue playing. He's due $2M soon. BB has to be careful or Alan Branch v2.0

David Harris has retired.

No signing bonus. Heavily performance incentive laden. No cost to cut at any point. Basically week to week.

Take it or leave it. You made your dough for nothing last year.

Pats get a 4th round compensatory pick for Jabaal Sheard. #136 overall.

See Fanspeak thread.

O face.

New deal for Brandon Bolden. One year for $880k, with $170k guaranteed.

I hope this means we are going to sign our other FA RBs too.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

This is perfect for the Pats. Bring him back on a cheap contract that is incentive laden. Win/Win. He and BB click for whatever reason and he loves Brady too.

I agree about Branch. BB has to be on top of his game this off-season to make sure we are not paying guys to tap out.

OBeckham, Jr. says he wants to play for the Pats. He'd be a great addition but I worry about $$ and diva attitude.

OBeckham, Jr. says he wants to play for the Pats. He'd be a great addition but I worry about $$ and diva attitude.

He does seem to have a man crush on Brady.

HTML:

Trade him for a real wr. He isn't that good...he's soft, never fights for his catches, disappears a lot, etc.

Not that impressive overall. He will have good games every once in a while, but, not consistently enough to ever warrant a top contract. If he signs for low money...then ok.

Back