Looking at the Patriots - 2020

I know you like Harry and we talked about this before, but this is two years now where his completion pct on catches is hovering around 50% Is it something they are not doing with coaching. I know the cowboys are a mess, but I was watching
that trainwreck of a game last night and looking at Lamb and some of those shallow crosses and slants he ran are perfection. Literally the backs are leaving so much space he could be open on every play.
I'm not a Harry apologist by any stretch and I pay no attention to his 1st round draft status when evaluating him so when I see the 'bust' label put on him I can't understand the reasoning. Otoh, his performance this year doesn't show the kind of progress I'd expect with respect to route running and body use to get 'open'. As a 4th round pick he's ok in his development. I'm willing to give him more time but the rope is getting shorter and shorter.

On a brighter note, WR John Ross is on the trade block by the Bengals. He'd be our #1 WR immediately even though he's mostly sitting on the Bengals' bench now.

Not sure how I feel on Ross.

like Bill says, best ability is availability, and his record ain’t great. Skill is there. Speed would be fun to see. But nobodies fast in a tub.

I'm not a Harry apologist by any stretch and I pay no attention to his 1st round draft status when evaluating him so when I see the 'bust' label put on him I can't understand the reasoning. Otoh, his performance this year doesn't show the kind of progress I'd expect with respect to route running and body use to get 'open'. As a 4th round pick he's ok in his development. I'm willing to give him more time but the rope is getting shorter and shorter.

On a brighter note, WR John Ross is on the trade block by the Bengals. He'd be our #1 WR immediately even though he's mostly sitting on the Bengals' bench now.
No no, I didnt mean that you were an apologist, just that you see more than others do in him, which is probably way more accurate as most people give up on players pretty quick usually. I like the kid, I am just at a loss
if he is not being used right or if he has bouts of awareness issues, or if its just something that has more to do with stability with the offense since he has been here. Sometimes as you know its fit. Like he might fit better in a different
offense. Things like that.

like Bill says, best ability is availability, and his record ain’t great. Skill is there. Speed would be fun to see. But nobodies fast in a tub.
Is he basically Byrd with a different name because I like byrd and his speed and think he has done pretty well here. Just not sure where Ross would fit.

Yeah, he'd be a gamble but those injuries were really on 2 injuries his teams didn't fully treat properly.
The labrum tear interrupted his 1st two seasons and then his groin injury interrupted his 3rd year (2018). In 2019, he had a shoulder sprain, (not labrum tear).
He's been fine for the last year as far as I can find. The Bengals tried to trade him last year with no takers and now they're trying again. His salary is fully guaranteed and although only $2.7M or thereabouts, they probably won't just cut him since dead cap would be a little more bc of signing bonuses.

I wouldn't reject him based on those injuries, rather I'd look at his WR production and performance on the field.

That 4.22 40 sure is enticing and he's healthy now...It would be a gamble. His salary is reasonable ($1.05M), he's in the last year of his contract -> typical BB.
But his catch rate is poor. Al Davis would love him but I don't think BB will.

Yeah, he'd be a gamble but those injuries were really on 2 injuries his teams didn't fully treat properly.
The labrum tear interrupted his 1st two seasons and then his groin injury interrupted his 3rd year (2018). In 2019, he had a shoulder sprain, (not labrum tear).
He's been fine for the last year as far as I can find. The Bengals tried to trade him last year with no takers and now they're trying again. His salary is fully guaranteed and although only $2.7M or thereabouts, they probably won't just cut him since dead cap would be a little more bc of signing bonuses.

I wouldn't reject him based on those injuries, rather I'd look at his WR production and performance on the field.

That 4.22 40 sure is enticing and he's healthy now...It would be a gamble. His salary is reasonable ($1.05M), he's in the last year of his contract -> typical BB.
Thing is, does cincy really want to take another weapon from their young QB. Not sure how much Ross is used in their offense, but if he is, not sure that would be a good plan for them, especially based on how cheap he is for them.
Not sure if that is worth a 6th rounder for them.

Is he basically Byrd with a different name because I like byrd and his speed and think he has done pretty well here. Just not sure where Ross would fit.
Significantly faster than Byrd. His 4.22 is the fastest 40 since 1999.

Last edited:
Thing is, does cincy really want to take another weapon from their young QB. Not sure how much Ross is used in their offense, but if he is, not sure that would be a good plan for them, especially based on how cheap he is for them.
Not sure if that is worth a 6th rounder for them.
A team would be prudent to make a trade based on his production and availability for them.

College was marred with injury too I think

I feel Ross would be another useless coup by the Pats. Yeah he's fast, but he has shown nothing outside of that. I mean even the Bengals seem to think he isn't that good. Pats need someone that can get separation and has enough speed, but I really doubt Pats can make anything out of Ross. Now AJ Green I would take a gamble on. Or a Golden Tate. Ross would only work as a flyer and maybe a 6th rounder just to see if he can make a difference, but I really doubt it.

I feel Ross would be another useless coup by the Pats. Yeah he's fast, but he has shown nothing outside of that. I mean even the Bengals seem to think he isn't that good. Pats need someone that can get separation and has enough speed, but I really doubt Pats can make anything out of Ross. Now AJ Green I would take a gamble on. Or a Golden Tate. Ross would only work as a flyer and maybe a 6th rounder just to see if he can make a difference, but I really doubt it.
I like that you said Golden Tate. I've always liked him since his days in ND with Michael Floyd there too. Though Floyd was never healthy. Tate's like a running back with the ball in his hands. I'm surprised he's never really been used as PR/KR. BB could use him properly. But truthfully he's probably best in the slot. We have a few like that already.

A team would be prudent to make a trade based on his production and availability for them.
Oh of course and I did see news that he wants out, just not sure if it would be another bandaid for us trying to fix a receiving corp. Those have not worked out well lately
Yeah I was going to say the same thing back when the server was down. It just seems like another cheap unproven guy that will come here and do nothing. I could be wrong, but that type of transaction at the receiver position has not really
worked out. Maybe we need.....gulp to actually get....a productive good receiver, those have worked in the past.

I like that you said Golden Tate. I've always liked him since his days in ND with Michael Floyd there too. Though Floyd was never healthy. Tate's like a running back with the ball in his hands. I'm surprised he's never really been used as PR/KR. BB could use him properly. But truthfully he's probably best in the slot. We have a few like that already.
When Tate is old and done, and cheap maybe the pats will pick him up.

The passing games issues are all BB fault. His arrogance to do nothing but Sign ONE WR BYRD . He knew we had issues last year . The Rookie TEs. Ones just a blocker . The other hasn't been active yet.

The passing games issues are all BB fault. His arrogance to do nothing but Sign ONE WR BYRD . He knew we had issues last year . The Rookie TEs. Ones just a blocker . The other hasn't been active yet.

:banghead: Do you just write this bs cuz yer a troll or do you really believe Hoodie is bad at managing team?

:banghead: Do you just write this bs cuz yer a troll or do you really believe Hoodie is bad at managing team?
I'm a troll for being honest. . I said last year. The WR postion was a weakness. BB completely ignored it in Draft . His only WR signing was Bryd. In 4 games this year the WRs & TE have been a non factor . Seattle was only game they were a factor. I'm never going to pretend to be anything different then me

Last edited:
I'm a troll for being honest. . I said last year. The WR postion was a weakness. BB completely ignored it in Draft . His only WR signing was Bryd. In 4 games this year the WRs & TE have been a non factor . Seattle was only game they were a factor. I'm never going to pretend to be everything different then me

Sorry man, I thought I was responding to the river cat with troll comment.

But really, all of a sudden Bill lost his mojo? What did his contract expire with the devil or something?

With few exceptions he has never put a premium on the AB or OBJ types of receiver.

Sorry man, I thought I was responding to the river cat with troll comment.

But really, all of a sudden Bill lost his mojo? What did his contract expire with the devil or something?

With few exceptions he has never put a premium on the AB or OBJ types of receiver.
It shows.

Glaringly.

And I’m not even looking for that. I’d be ecstatic for Deion Branch. David Patten. Troy Brown. Upper mid tier types that aren’t divas and don’t shatter the salary structure.

You get the feeling that Bill could have went out and got OBJ when Cam came here. I have a feeling a deal could have been done there.

You get the sinking feeling that this could be Jules' last season. He looks shattered already even though we're not even in November yet. He's just been too damn brave during his career. The punishment he's taken over the years is savage and I'm worried about the head shots he has taken. He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, he'll go down as one of the all time greatest ever Patriots and a firm fan favourite.

I don't want to see him dangerously pummelled out there.

Back