Looking at the Patriots - 2020

What I've said since day 1. He's an inside guy - slot or flanker only. Putting him outside is classic square peg/round hole kind of thing.

Evan Lazar@ezlazar
The #Patriots have basically accepted that N’Keal Harry isn’t a downfield threat at receiver.
He’s blocking, running shallows hunting YAC, and they’re using his size to get free releases for Meyers & Byrd in stacks/bunches. That’s what he does well enough.
Many of his routes on Sunday were just shallow crossers trying to pull zone defenders towards him or set up YAC opportunities for him.

At this point in season. BB has a decision to make either stick with Cam. See what Stidham can do at QB. To see if he is the future of team. They have no chance of playoffs . unless they run the table.

At this point in season. BB has a decision to make either stick with Cam. See what Stidham can do at QB. To see if he is the future of team. They have no chance of playoffs . unless they run the table.

Cam hasn't turned the ball over since the Bills game, and hasn't had a bad game since he was benched. I think he's played well enough to be the starter unless he happens to have another stinker.

I hope he puts Stidham in soon so we can see what we have there. Even if he is a quality back-up at least that is something.

So there's still hope....

If the Pats can make the playoffs by running the table you stick with who you think gives you the best chance to win. One or 2 more losses and the door closes, then it's time to "see what you have" (assuming they have seen Stid in practice for a couple of years and decided it's a no go).

So there's still hope....

If the Pats can make the playoffs by running the table you stick with who you think gives you the best chance to win. One or 2 more losses and the door closes, then it's time to "see what you have" (assuming they have seen Stid in practice for a couple of years and decided it's a no go).
One thing that has been odd to me with Cam is how he stands like a statue in the pocket when he holds the ball too long. He doesn't need to always scramble for yards, but I'd really like to see him move the pocket more often. Use his legs to avoid sacks and let his guys break their route and get some catches off broken plays. Been really surprised how little this has happened.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

What I've said since day 1. He's an inside guy - slot or flanker only. Putting him outside is classic square peg/round hole kind of thing.

Evan Lazar@ezlazar
The #Patriots have basically accepted that N’Keal Harry isn’t a downfield threat at receiver.
He’s blocking, running shallows hunting YAC, and they’re using his size to get free releases for Meyers & Byrd in stacks/bunches. That’s what he does well enough.
Many of his routes on Sunday were just shallow crossers trying to pull zone defenders towards him or set up YAC opportunities for him.
Too bad that BB figured this out a year and a half into the 1st round selection...but, oh well.

Evan Lazar@ezlazar
Wasn't this his exact evaluation before the draft? I can't believe the Pats thought he was any type of downfield threat. If they did, then that speaks volumes on their scouting department.

Wasn't this his exact evaluation before the draft? I can't believe the Pats thought he was any type of downfield threat. If they did, then that speaks volumes on their scouting department.
BB never was good at consistently finding legit WR's.

Drafting WR's has been BB achilles heel . His success story still stands at 3 Edelman, branch & Givens. Mitchell came the closest to be 4th. Too bad his knees were crap

One thing that has been odd to me with Cam is how he stands like a statue in the pocket when he holds the ball too long. He doesn't need to always scramble for yards, but I'd really like to see him move the pocket more often. Use his legs to avoid sacks and let his guys break their route and get some catches off broken plays. Been really surprised how little this has happened.

That's coaching. He could break out and run but McD (and Jedd Fisch) is trying to get Cam to be a pure drop back passer, something I feared when Cam was signed. Pass pro is designed to protect him in the pocket so he stays right there as told like any good little foot soldier would, learning the pocket passer thing as he goes. He's actually doing better than I expected.
For Cam's longevity I get it...old QBs who run won't last long. Cam should have more than 1 designed run in a game imo.

That's coaching. He could break out and run but McD (and Jedd Fisch) is trying to get Cam to be a pure drop back passer, something I feared when Cam was signed. Pass pro is designed to protect him in the pocket so he stays right there as told like any good little foot soldier would, learning the pocket passer thing as he goes. He's actually doing better than I expected.
For Cam's longevity I get it...old QBs who run won't last long. Cam should have more than 1 designed run in a game imo.
I'm not even talking about running. Just move the damn pocket. Escape a sack. He's taking more hits by being a statue.

He could help the offense even more by being evasive behind the line of scrimmage.

I'm not even talking about running. Just move the damn pocket. Escape a sack. He's taking more hits by being a statue.

He can't read a blitz even when it is staring right at him.

He can't read a blitz even when it is staring right at him.
I don't think that's true. He's just still a work in progress in this system. Because of that it takes him longer than it should to get through progressions. I was hoping his legs would help extend plays so he could throw to guys breaking out of their routes. Just not happening.

Back