Looking at the Patriots - 2020

I'm not even talking about running. Just move the damn pocket. Escape a sack. He's taking more hits by being a statue.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
He can't read a blitz even when it is staring right at him.

He can't read a blitz even when it is staring right at him.
I don't think that's true. He's just still a work in progress in this system. Because of that it takes him longer than it should to get through progressions. I was hoping his legs would help extend plays so he could throw to guys breaking out of their routes. Just not happening.

I'm not even talking about running. Just move the damn pocket. Escape a sack. He's taking more hits by being a statue.

He could help the offense even more by being evasive behind the line of scrimmage.

It's easier said than done when the Pats have only really shown to be a threat on the run, and opposing defenses don't fear the receivers at all. It means they can send 8 basically every time. Even if you have a good to great OL, which the Pats have, it's difficult to stand in the pocket with blitzers running free at him frequently. Even Brady dealt with this last season.

It's easier said than done when the Pats have only really shown to be a threat on the run, and opposing defenses don't fear the receivers at all. It means they can send 8 basically every time. Even if you have a good to great OL, which the Pats have, it's difficult to stand in the pocket with blitzers running free at him frequently. Even Brady dealt with this last season.
Cam can escape a blitz differently than Brady. Brady did it with excellent movement inside the pocket. It gave WRs and TEs more time.

Cam can escape the pocket and allow WRs/TEs to break out of their routes to get open. That can help combat inability to separate. Mahomes does it all the time. Cam doesn't have the same accuracy as him, but he can still help the WRs with his legs. That appears to have been coached out of his game.

Scam is slow at escaping the pass rush...he gets sacked routinely. That's one thing that Brady is or at least was good at.

Scam is slow at escaping the pass rush...he gets sacked routinely. That's one thing that Brady is or at least was good at.
He has no awareness. The blitz is coming from the right side and he still does not see it or feel it. Reminds me of Bledsoe in that regard.

He could help the offense even more by being evasive behind the line of scrimmage.

Problem is he has trouble throwing in a normal situation, throwing on the run may be even worse

Oh my god...truth!! Super frustrating with the tackling problems. to the point i think they likely would have another win or two if they JUST tackled better.

First step is admitting their a problem. Nope Its sunshine & rainbows. 6 TDs to 11 Ints as team Burkhead & white lead the team in rec. The passing game sucks STOP THE EXCUSES 4 wins says it

First step is admitting their a problem. Nope Its sunshine & rainbows. 6 TDs to 11 Ints as team Burkhead & white lead the team in rec. The passing game sucks STOP THE EXCUSES 4 wins says it

Have to identify and correct what they can.

Have to identify and correct what they can.
The passing game was a issue last year . It's struggling being inconsistent on drives . They just don't have a top Ranked Defense. To bail them out this year . No one fears this pass. That's why teams are loading the box to stop the run. Getting after Cam he don't have a quick release

We said it straight after the game on Sunday. The offense can't be blamed for the defeat. The defense was awful. There was ZERO pressure on Watson, he had all day in the pocket, and the coverage was terrible. The McCourty's aren't in great form and it's a good point about the tackling, it's awful. They're allowing guys to break tackles and get extra yards for 1st downs which is unforgivable.

If this isn't fixed, Kyler Murray will tear them a new one.

I mean this is not acceptable.

Also, according to PFF’s metrics, Terrence Brooks, J.C. Jackson, Devin McCourty, Stephon Gilmore, Ja’Whaun Bentley and Chase Winovich have been among the Patriots’ worst tacklers this season.

the Pats are allowing a league-worst 6.4 yards after the catch to opposing wide receivers.

Last edited:
Is it poor tackling, or are guys on defense knowing that they are probably moving on and making “business” decisions?

While running does increase a QBs injury risk, it sure seems like Cam has always taken his worst hits when he’s tried to be a pocket passer. I’m thinking back to his Carolina years.

Back