Looking at the Patriots - 2020

Passing DVOA was 15th last year, 24th so far this year.

Last year's DVOA was bolstered by all those bad teams we played in the first 10 games of the year.
Just for the record, in the last 6 games last year when it mattered most with TB12 at QB, the Pats were 1-4 in 1 score games and 2-4 overall in those last 6 games. 1-4!
The losses were to Houston, KC, Miami and Tennessee. The win was against Buffalo (the other win was the blowout of Cincy).

This year Cam has a better adjusted completion % than TB12 so the numbers don't say we'd be any better with TB12 at QB than with Cam. And that's with Cam missing 2 weeks bc of COVID. From that standpoint, TB12 bailed at the right time and Cam is actually doing better than anyone should have expected. Compare this year to how TB12 did last year when we needed it most down the stretch. 2-4 in the last 6 games last year should have been a good forewarning of what was to come this year, especially with no money to do anything about it.

This has nothing to do with Brady

BB is a relic of the past. It’s time to move on. It’s been for awhile. He’s a .500 coach.

I don’t care about Tampa or Tom. I want a coach who’s young and can rebuild this roster. It’s not Belichick.
If he has another awful draft and does not find a legit QB then I agree. Time to move on. Let's see what he can do with all the cap and the picks.

After six SBs and countless years in the hunt, one down year is not the end of the world. I don't know why some fans all of a sudden expect BB to bring a SB now or he's a fraud.
A SB was not the expectation at all but to have fallen off the map like we have is jolting and that was unexpected. This roster is putrid.

That's what cap hell and COVID opt outs do to a team.
If that was true. We are not in cap hell. Bill could have easily signed players this year and pushed the money into next year and the year after. He told you that he made a pre-planned decision before the season to began to NOT improve this team and then tried to use the cap as an excuse which he has been called out on repeatedly. The COVID opt outs have not hurt this team, in fact you can make the case that Dugger and Onwenu are an improvement over Chung and Cannon. The only real loss has been Hightower. If Bill had tried at all to improve this roster besides signing Byrd then we would not be in this awful season.

If that was true. We are not in cap hell. Bill could have easily signed players this year and pushed the money into next year and the year after. He told you that he made a pre-planned decision before the season to began to NOT improve this team and then tried to use the cap as an excuse which he has been called out on repeatedly. The COVID opt outs have not hurt this team, in fact you can make the case that Dugger and Onwenu are an improvement over Chung and Cannon. The only real loss has been Hightower. If Bill had tried at all to improve this roster besides signing Byrd then we would not be in this awful season.
Someone has seen the light . Hallelujah. Instead of making excuses .

The Pats had extremely little cap space in the offseason due to, get this, pushing contracts forward with 34 million in dead space. It wasn't until all these players opted out did all the cap space become available and it's my understand that Bill wanted to roll it over til next season.

Should be a great offseason.

The cap Pats currently have now are mainly due to the COVID optouts and other veterans getting cut. Before that there was less than a million in cap. In fact, BB had to restructure Rex Burkhead's contract just to be able to sign Cam for vet minimum. Did you somehow miss all of that?

As far as your other points, while Dugger has been solid so far, he lacks the coverage skills that Chung has. Also, while Onwenu has been a pleasant surprise, he hasn't played RT this year, so Cannon would still be useful. Not to mention with injuries at OL, he would be huge needed help for depth. Once again, you're way off.

The Pats had extremely little cap space in the offseason due to, get this, pushing contracts forward with 34 million in dead space. It wasn't until all these players opted out did all the cap space become available and it's my understand that Bill wanted to roll it over til next season.

Should be a great offseason.
Bill could have signed players this off-season and pushed the contracts into next year. He has done that plenty over the years but for some reason this year he decided to punt on the season.

All I'm seeing is beating around the bush. Sugar coated messages. Instead of just admitting BB knew they were going to down year . You heard that in his we sold out interview.

All I'm seeing is beating around the bush. Sugar coated messages. Instead of just admitting BB knew they were going to down year . You heard that in his we sold out interview.

Sugar coating nothing. You've down this guy incessantly for 2 seasons.I am not.

Don't even care about a down year. They have been pretty fun to watch and I love what he is doing with this team for the future.

We all knew this would be a down year. BB knew it when he signed TB12 to that 2019 contract that pushed $13M of dead cap space forward into this year. I don't see anyone beating around the bush about this. But it is a way of explaining the situation. 8-8 is what many here predicted for this year although we had hope for better. Then the opt outs hit.

Bill could have signed players this off-season and pushed the contracts into next year. He has done that plenty over the years but for some reason this year he decided to punt on the season.

Only if they were willing to sign for a minimal contract as Cam did. But that was never BB's plan. He wanted to start fresh with plenty of cap space for next year. That's quite apparent.

The cap Pats currently have now are mainly due to the COVID optouts and other veterans getting cut. Before that there was less than a million in cap. In fact, BB had to restructure Rex Burkhead's contract just to be able to sign Cam for vet minimum. Did you somehow miss all of that?

As far as your other points, while Dugger has been solid so far, he lacks the coverage skills that Chung has. Also, while Onwenu has been a pleasant surprise, he hasn't played RT this year, so Cannon would still be useful. Not to mention with injuries at OL, he would be huge needed help for depth. Once again, you're way off.

I'm not sold on Cannon coming back. We have a good replacement right now in Eleumunor who was playing great at RT until he got hurt.

The timing was wrong since the opt outs came just as the season began. By then, the good FAs were long gone.

well, a ton of money was freed up , so take that for what it's worth.

We all knew this would be a down year. BB knew it when he signed TB12 to that 2019 contract that pushed $13M of dead cap space forward into this year. I don't see anyone beating around the bush about this. But it is a way of explaining the situation. 8-8 is what many here predicted for this year although we had hope for better. Then the opt outs hit.
Now it makes sense . You didn't expect the passing game to anything more then serviceable. That's why you high on Cam competition percentage. Not his Passing TDs. If you look at Draft it was for O-line & Blocking TE's That's been their only role . The BB expected to win games just of the strength of Running game . Problem is Defense has struggled this year . The secondary being one of biggest let downs.

The timing was wrong since the opt outs came just as the season began. By then, the good FAs were long gone.
It was too late by the opt-outs. But he could have signed guys in March and April and pushed their contracts out like the Chiefs did. This isn't hard. We have a ton of money next year and the year after. Bill has done that in the past. He decided to punt on this season which is not acceptable to many fans.

It was too late by the opt-outs. But he could have signed guys in March and April and pushed their contracts out like the Chiefs did. This isn't hard. We have a ton of money next year and the year after. Bill has done that in the past. He decided to punt on this season which is not acceptable to many fans.

Nope, just to the 2 I know here. At least in my world.

Back