Looking at the Patriots - 2021

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score
that's interesting but i still think shanny2 was blowing smoke. i can't see them being just as happy w/mac. he's not their type.

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
KOK dropped this in our FB group.

Interesting.

So, assuming that Schefter’s information is accurate (and there’s no reason to think it isn’t), the 49ers gave up two future first-round picks and a third-round pick for dibs on Jones. Basically, they paid dearly for “shotgun” and then decided to get in the back seat. While they may have found themselves leapfrogged by the Patriots if the 49ers stayed at No. 12, they likely would have gotten Jones or Lance — and they would have kept their 2022 and 2023 first-round picks in the process — if they’d stayed put.
They tripped on their dix

TommyD420

Meet the New Boss. Same as the Old Boss.
Reaction score
The Patriots' cap sits at $4.6M currently according to Miguel.
Field Yates says the Pats have $1.5M.
They both can't be right. Either way, BB can make some room for Gilmore when needed.

Edit:
From Reiss' Quick Hits
5. Tight to cap: The Patriots enter the season with a league-low $1.5 million of salary-cap space, according to ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates. That won't be enough to make it through the season, so some adjustments should be expected in the coming weeks. I asked Miguel Benzan, the Patriots' cap wizard who has become a must-follow on Twitter, his top five candidates who could provide cap relief. His response (in no particular order): Offensive tackle Trent Brown, right guard Shaq Mason, Hightower, McCourty and cornerback Jones (with Gilmore an addition in five weeks when eligible to come off the PUP list).

When in doubt, Miguel is right.

Mazz22

Age 44 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score
If it's true -- wow. This is what I liked most from the article:

Had that really been the case, maybe Pats end up with Jimmy G and Niners find their QB in Mac Jones.

Now I wonder, had the Niners not traded up, would the Pats have traded up to get Jones? Very interesting to think about.
Jimmy looked really good yesterday. The niners are in an ideal spot, play Jimmy and let Lance develop.

Mazz22

Reaction score
Chandler Jones’ third sack of the game gave him 100 for his career. He became the eighth player since the NFL began tracking sacks to reach triple digits in career sacks in the first 125 games of his career, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

His time-to-sack average was 3.48 seconds, which was his second-fastest time-to-sack average in a game where he had multiple sacks since NFL Next Gen Stats started tracking the stat in 2016.

"He was unblockable most of training camp to the point where it's like, 'Hey, we can only pass when he's out of game' type of deal," Kingsbury said after the game. "He was awesome. So, I didn't know if he'd have five, but I knew he would impact the game. There was no doubt."
********************************************************************************

Chandler Jones could down as our best defensive draft pick of past 30 years.

His career is arguably better than Wilfork, McGinest and even Seymour. Tough to compare with Ty Law different positions but they are probably the top 2.

SkiptoMyLou

Six Time Super Bowl Champions!
Reaction score

His career is arguably better than Wilfork, McGinest and even Seymour. Tough to compare with Ty Law different positions but they are probably the top 2.

He's a great regular season player. He tended to disappear in the playoffs.

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
Chandler Jones’ third sack of the game gave him 100 for his career. He became the eighth player since the NFL began tracking sacks to reach triple digits in career sacks in the first 125 games of his career, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

His time-to-sack average was 3.48 seconds, which was his second-fastest time-to-sack average in a game where he had multiple sacks since NFL Next Gen Stats started tracking the stat in 2016.

"He was unblockable most of training camp to the point where it's like, 'Hey, we can only pass when he's out of game' type of deal," Kingsbury said after the game. "He was awesome. So, I didn't know if he'd have five, but I knew he would impact the game. There was no doubt."
********************************************************************************

He was never going to be re-signed in NE. He's all about the money. He wanted to.force his way out of Arizona...because...he wants more money. Imagine that?

Mazz22

Reaction score
He was never going to be re-signed in NE. He's all about the money. He wanted to.force his way out of Arizona...because...he wants more money. Imagine that?
I know. I was just pointing out how amazing his career has been.

In addition to the sacks, he leads the NFL just about every year in forced fumbles and is one of league leaders in tackles FOR LOSS.

Flagg the Wanderer

Sonic sez: Clawk Moar Ringz!
Reaction score
Chandler Jones is talented. But when you look at his stats game-by-game and look at the opposition, the shine starts to fade pretty quickly and you start to get a picture of why he tended to disappear in the postseason. He feasts on average and below average OLmen, and disappears against the better ones. You can also run at him (though he is tough when you try to run away from him). Since the OLmen in the postseason tend to be much better than those in the regular season...there you go.

I would take any of the four players mentioned (Wilfork, McGinest, Seymour, or Law) ahead of him in some hypothetical draft without hesitation. All of those players were talented, unselfish, did their job exquisitely well, then expanded on that to get to the eye-popping plays. They also had a habit of raising their game in the postseason (Wilfork being the possible exception here) and against elite competition across from them.

Mazz22

Reaction score
Chandler Jones is talented. But when you look at his stats game-by-game and look at the opposition, the shine starts to fade pretty quickly and you start to get a picture of why he tended to disappear in the postseason. He feasts on average and below average OLmen, and disappears against the better ones. You can also run at him (though he is tough when you try to run away from him). Since the OLmen in the postseason tend to be much better than those in the regular season...there you go.

I would take any of the four players mentioned (Wilfork, McGinest, Seymour, or Law) ahead of him in some hypothetical draft without hesitation. All of those players were talented, unselfish, did their job exquisitely well, then expanded on that to get to the eye-popping plays. They also had a habit of raising their game in the postseason (Wilfork being the possible exception here) and against elite competition across from them.
It didn't have to be either or. :coffee:

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score

AZ paid him $22,000,000.00 to play for them in 2017.
You may want to rethink some of the bs you're spewing or at least show your work that balances your spending with the cap.
In the meanwhile, surrender your checkbook. :coffee:

foobahl

Reaction score
You may want to rethink some of the bs you're spewing or at least show your work that balances your spending with the cap.
Don't you know? The cap is just a math trick, or old math if you will. It doesn't really exist and even if it did it could be manipulated with impunity. The cap is just what losing teams use as an excuse. Get with the times, man. I can't be broke, I still have checks.

Flagg the Wanderer

Sonic sez: Clawk Moar Ringz!
Reaction score
Yes it does, because
(checks calendar)
Right. It's not the 1990s.
This. Once again, you descend into total nonsense when you run up against the great mystery that is The Salary Cap.

Mazz22

Reaction score
Yes it does, because
(checks calendar)
Right. It's not the 1990s.

This. Once again, you descend into total nonsense when you run up against the great mystery that is The Salary Cap.
That darn cap yet we managed to pay Wilfork, McGinest, Law but we just couldn't pay Jones.
Nonsense.