Looking at the Patriots - 2021

rivshark86

Reaction score
Hell, McDaniels was a pretty damn good High school QB right? Didn’t he get to a state championship to miss a field goal kick or something? He’s still youngish, why not put him on the roster? Presumably he’s got a good understanding of the system.

SkiptoMyLou

Mac Attack!
Reaction score
I don’t get the Hoyer thing anymore. When he had a snowballs chance in hell of winning a game I got it. Good mentor, good understanding of the system, we could joke about how he’s better at hitting trash cans from 45 yards out than Brady.

Now? If he plays more than a quarter the team he’s on is going to lose the game. Ok, so he’s a good coach in the QB room. Don’t they pay a coaching staff for that? Why not hire him as an assistant quarterbacks coach? It’s not even his cap hit, but why have a player taking up a roster spot who’s going to guarantee a loss if they get on the field?
I know, I know, he knows the system……… but again, what are the coaches there for?

You've brought this up many times, and many times you have received logical responses as to why he isn't a coach. You just choose to believe what you want to believe in. It's easier to live in fantasy land than to look at the facts and realize you're wrong.

rivshark86

Reaction score
You've brought this up many times, and many times you have received logical responses as to why he isn't a coach. You just choose to believe what you want to believe in. It's easier to live in fantasy land than to look at the facts and realize you're wrong.
Ok he isn’t a coach because of salary and health insurance issues? I haven’t gone back to refresh my memory but I think that was the issue. I’m not advocating that he be hired as a coach, just that that’s a better alternative than him being on the active roster. The cowboys did it with Kellen Moore.
Again, if he has to play it’s going to guarantee a loss for NE, and he’s not a guy who’s going to develop. So why is he on the roster? We have a coaching staff to coach. Why not bring in a backup who has a chance if they have to play?

John Galt

Previously johnlocke
Reaction score
Ok he isn’t a coach because of salary and health insurance issues? I haven’t gone back to refresh my memory but I think that was the issue. I’m not advocating that he be hired as a coach, just that that’s a better alternative than him being on the active roster. The cowboys did it with Kellen Moore.
Again, if he has to play it’s going to guarantee a loss for NE, and he’s not a guy who’s going to develop. So why is he on the roster? We have a coaching staff to coach. Why not bring in a backup who has a chance if they have to play?

Are there other backup QBs out there that are any good at the moment? Are there any backup QBs that grasp the system as Hoyer apparently does? Helping Jones is important at this juncture, but who else would you choose for that job?

SkiptoMyLou

Mac Attack!
Reaction score

For what it's worth I partially agree with you. While Hoyer works really well as the informative back up that can help Mac in his development, that's about it for his upside. If for any reason Mac goes down and Hoyer goes in we're screwed. Maybe having Cam on speed dial would be an option if that were the case, but ultimately we're all pinning our hopes that Mac is able to stay healthy all year otherwise any expectations need to be halted.

Mazz22

Age 44 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score
Are there other backup QBs out there that are any good at the moment? Are there any backup QBs that grasp the system as Hoyer apparently does? Helping Jones is important at this juncture, but who else would you choose for that job?
IMO, I wish we would have traded for Minshew.

Last edited:

John Galt

Previously johnlocke
Reaction score

I would very much have liked him here for a few reasons, energy, and personality being foremost, but he would not replace Hoyer, to my thinking.

Doesn't know the system at all.

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
If Big Mac is hurt, it doesn't matter anyway...I kinda agree with you, but, Hoyer is a QB's coach as a backup. He isn't good, but, he does know the system though.

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
For what it's worth I partially agree with you. While Hoyer works really well as the informative back up that can help Mac in his development, that's about it for his upside. If for any reason Mac goes down and Hoyer goes in we're screwed. Maybe having Cam on speed dial would be an option if that were the case, but ultimately we're all pinning our hopes that Mac is able to stay healthy all year otherwise any expectations need to be halted.
This

deec77

Reaction score
So was Danny Orlovsky and he won the state championship doesn’t make him a great QB.... those who do can those who teach .....
Im not saying Teachers can’t so stop with the PC correct stuff its just a very different skill set ....

~Dee~

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
Meh, I think Minshew would have been a bit of a distraction. Not to Cam’s level, of course, but nevertheless…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score

I would have approved a trade to get Minshew. The guy is a gamer with some skills and he held up pretty well in Jacksonville despite playing for a bad team. It'd be interesting to see how he'd do if he had some protection and a running game, for a change.

All he cost Philly is a conditional 5th or 6th. That's going to look like a bargain if we have to watch Hoyer take snaps

Flagg the Wanderer

Sonic sez: Clawk Moar Ringz!
Reaction score
I don’t get the Hoyer thing anymore. When he had a snowballs chance in hell of winning a game I got it. Good mentor, good understanding of the system, we could joke about how he’s better at hitting trash cans from 45 yards out than Brady.

Now? If he plays more than a quarter the team he’s on is going to lose the game. Ok, so he’s a good coach in the QB room. Don’t they pay a coaching staff for that? Why not hire him as an assistant quarterbacks coach? It’s not even his cap hit, but why have a player taking up a roster spot who’s going to guarantee a loss if they get on the field?
I know, I know, he knows the system……… but again, what are the coaches there for?
Agreed. Hire him as a coach and get a real backup.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score

Pretend the GM ISN'T BB.

Now, does it suddenly makes sense and you agree with it?

Good. You're welcome.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
I'd rather have Hoyer than Cam.

Giant Octopodes

Reaction score
something something something Colin Kaepernick :coffee:

For what it's worth, I'm all about having a different QB in as backup, if there's one available on the cheap whose positives outweigh their negatives. You do need Someone to dress up who can take over for a drive or a quarter if need be, and I don't know who you could pick up on the cheap right now who would actually fill that role well, but I'm all for it if an option is available. Keep in mind that Stidham actively lost that spot to Hoyer, and the Blake Bortles of the world are likely no better than either of them, so it's not like we're the only team out there in a bind if our starting QB goes down. But yes, the current backup QB situation is not ideal.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
something something something Colin Kaepernick :coffee:

For what it's worth, I'm all about having a different QB in as backup, if there's one available on the cheap whose positives outweigh their negatives. You do need Someone to dress up who can take over for a drive or a quarter if need be, and I don't know who you could pick up on the cheap right now who would actually fill that role well, but I'm all for it if an option is available. Keep in mind that Stidham actively lost that spot to Hoyer, and the Blake Bortles of the world are likely no better than either of them, so it's not like we're the only team out there in a bind if our starting QB goes down. But yes, the current backup QB situation is not ideal.
I wouldn't so much as think about Colin Kaepernick.