Looking at the Patriots - 2021

I am not making excuses here, but he's out there on a bad hammy. He was great vs TB and good vs Houston. Kind of a dumb take. This is going to be brutal listening to former Pats players armchair the analysis so they can feel important.

The pass D certainly could have played better, but when you have a pick 6 and a blocked punt for an easy TD, that has nothing to do with the defense. The D had 2 turnovers and a sweet goal line stand. That's not why they lost. It's because of the same problems of a turnover at a bad time and a STs gaffe.

Do people realize if the offense was more consistent in an offensive league, your defense benefits from that? The offense needs to be consistent.

If they are concerned about Mills being able to cover in man, move Jones to the perimeter or promote Myles Bryant to the nickel spot.
Your trying to deflect the problem. The Texans Mills had a career game 21/29 312 3tds the prior week . Against the cowboys . Defense Gave up 567 total yards . Dak set a record against BB 36/51 445 yards 3tds ☕.

Last edited:
Yes, afterall you know a lot more than the greatest coach in NFL history. Do you ever look at what you post?
You're right. I meant to say little Stevie.

I wasn't a fan of the Mills signing, but I expect him to be fine. He's looked good in spurts, and it isn't like we haven't seen a CB come in and start slow and awkward in this system before. Gilmore comes to mind. I was cringing and angry about that signing for a solid half season.

Then he turned out to be pretty good for a couple years...
Gilmore had issues learning the defense so he sat a couple of weeks and learned. IIRC, we also had him in zone to start and then switched him to man.

I don't get the sense that Mills is having issues with the system. He's just not that good and has been injured too.

A lot of people in the media are criticizing BB for not going for it on 4th downs much this year.
I don't see that as big of a problem as keeping Mac on a short leash.
Open up the offense and those iffy 4th down plays won't matter so much!

Your trying to deflect the problem. The Texans Mills had a career game 21/29 312 3tds the prior week . Against the cowboys . Defense Gave up 567 total yards . Dak set a record against BB 36/51 445 yards 3tds ☕.

Yet the game still went to overtime, and had Agholor not dropped that wide open pass in OT we might have seen the Pats beat the Cowboys with a walkoff touchdown Or, possibly not give up 23 yards to give them a make able FG. The defense had a really tough task and even though it wasn't pretty they kept the Cowboys from scoring bunches. Yeah, the yards seem discouraging, but Dak is playing at an elite level -- most elite QBs have good days against Pats' defenses in the past. This isn't new. What's new is Pats not taking advantage of the opportunities or shooting themselves in the foot. That's the biggest issue so far.

Yet the game still went to overtime, and had Agholor not dropped that wide open pass in OT we might have seen the Pats beat the Cowboys with a walkoff touchdown Or, possibly not give up 23 yards to give them a make able FG. The defense had a really tough task and even though it wasn't pretty they kept the Cowboys from scoring bunches. Yeah, the yards seem discouraging, but Dak is playing at an elite level -- most elite QBs have good days against Pats' defenses in the past. This isn't new. What's new is Pats not taking advantage of the opportunities or shooting themselves in the foot. That's the biggest issue so far.
I agree with your last sentence but I also think the secondary has been compromised as well and some of that is the lack of pass rush up front. Pretty much every QB we have played has looked unbelievable comfortable, even Mills. It is really the defense that has to step up. The O is progressing but the D is falling apart.

I agree with your last sentence but I also think the secondary has been compromised as well and some of that is the lack of pass rush up front. Pretty much every QB we have played has looked unbelievable comfortable, even Mills. It is really the defense that has to step up. The O is progressing but the D is falling apart.

The defense was out there for almost 40 minutes (39:17 if you want to be exact) -- had I seen that stat line without context I would have fully expected a blowout. Despite the stats, they held their own. Sure, they can't be doing that week in, week out but their woes are a tad exaggerated. There is much to improve, but they aren't the wOarSt DeeFanCe EvAr!!!

The defense was out there for almost 40 minutes (39:17 if you want to be exact) -- had I seen that stat line without context I would have fully expected a blowout. Despite the stats, they held their own. Sure, they can't be doing that week in, week out but their woes are a tad exaggerated.
That's true but part of this is because they could not get Dallas off the field.

You choose to focus on the negative, I choose to focus on the upside.
Not at all. It sounds like you are holding the O more accountable because of the TOP. I agree with that as the offensive game plan after the first quarter was awful. But the D could not get Dallas off. That being said the plays by Jones and Bentley to save TDs kept us in the game.

Not at all. It sounds like you are holding the O more accountable because of the TOP. I agree with that as the offensive game plan after the first quarter was awful. But the D could not get Dallas off.

I'm not holding the offense more accountable at all. I used time of possession to illustrate the amount of time the defense was out there dealing with a top offense. 40 minutes out there chasing guys is a death sentence to a defense yet they held their own. It wasn't perfect, and that isn't my point. All I'm saying is that the defense being terrible because of the gaudy amount of yards allowed being overblown.

I'm not holding the offense more accountable at all. I used time of possession to illustrate the amount of time the defense was out there dealing with a top offense. 40 minutes out there chasing guys is a death sentence to a defense yet they held their own. It wasn't perfect, and that isn't my point. All I'm saying is that the defense being terrible because of the gaudy amount of yards allowed being overblown.
What kept them in the game is that they were very good in the red zone and Dallas also had a ton of penalties. But we were out there so long precisely because we could not get them off the field. If you are going to talk about TOP and not blame the offense then it is the defense for not getting any stops. It has to be one or the other. Those gaudy yards is what led to the lopsided TOP.

That being said, the Houston game IMO is the bigger worry. Mills looked like an all pro out there. That is what makes me nervous about the Jets. Wilson is very talented and is capable of carving us up.

Last edited:
You choose ignore & make excuses for the bad . I choose to talk about the good & bad. Have at itif you only want to talk about the positives. Instead of admitting the 2021 Patriots are no longer contenders.

I don't live in a fantasy world where I think Pats are still contenders. They are what the record says they are. There is some good to these performances unless you expect Pats to steamroll everyone like they have in years' past, which seems to be the issue with a lot of fans. This team is improving despite the losses, if you choose to not see that and be doom and gloom that's your prerogative.

In fact if you read my post instead of just reacting to it, you'll see I'm also criticizing the team, we just happen to disagree on what the biggest issue is apparently.

You choose ignore & make excuses for the bad . I choose to talk about the good & bad. Have at itif you only want to talk about the positives. Instead of admitting the 2021 Patriots are no longer contenders.
Are you a native michigander? Looking at your "All Hail"...

Just for reference in terms of TOP. Below are Dallas' drives:

1st Drive - TO on downs
2nd Drive - Touchdown
3rd Drive - INT (in field goal range)
4th Drive - Field Goal
5th Drive - Fumble (in field goal range)
6th Drive - Punt
7th Drive - Touchdown
8th Drive - Field Goal
9th Drive - Missed Field Goal
10th Drive - Field Goal

In all: 8 of 10 possessions, the Cowboys drove into at least field goal range. They only punted once.

No That had nothing to do 2021 Patriots. Looks like I made a mistake returning. Sorry for being honest .

I live in Michigan and that "All Hail" phrase is common for U of M fans.

It was an innocent question.

Sheesh.

Back