Looking at the Patriots - 2021

sg14

Reaction score
1. "Mémère " is the french term used most around here to refer to Grandma. "Pépère" is the Grandpa term. So cool to see it used :)
2. That recipe for the meat stuffing looks so much like our recipe for meat pies up here. We use beef, pork, and whatever wild game we have in the freezer - last couple of years was moose meat.

I'm sure Muse can chime in on this as well as she's very familiar with the acadian cuisine and terms up this way ;)
There is a french influence in Maine?

Muse

Paleface
Reaction score
There is a french influence in Maine?

Ah, YES!

I am from Northern Maine, just across the border from Canada. I have a bunch of relatives who live there.

I grew up with calling my mom and dad's parents, Memere and Pepere. If I ever become a grandmother that is the term I want to be called by.

My first language is French as it is in in the county I am from.

Aroostook County is French country, I have relatives who only speaks French like my Pepere Gervais did. But he understood me in English to have a conversation with.

'
French cuisine and culture is big and it is how we identify ourselves if you are from The County. I am French descent on both sides of my family. One side from Canada the other from France.

I am a proud Acadian and wave the Acadian flag down here in the South.

@MaineMimi actually lives maybe 10 miles from where I grew up. 💕💕💕

I miss fiddleheads, boudin(sp), and couton, foods I was raised on and you just can not find down here. Oh, and ployes I miss ployes. Every year I get some from back home or from a relative since you can not find buckwheat in my area. Ugh. I miss home food.

I miss being around my culture and people who get me when it comes to being French and being from Northern Maine. :(

Sorry for digressing.

Last edited:

TyLawsPick6

Reaction score
That smile actually made me gasp. #LoveIt

Ah, YES!

I am from Northern Maine, just across the border from Canada. I have a bunch of relatives who live there.

I grew up with calling my mom and dad's parents, Memere and Pepere. If I ever become a grandmother that is the term I want to be called by.

Aroostook County is French country, I have relatives who only speaks French like my Pepere Gervais did. But he understood me in English to have a conversation with.

'
French cuisne and culture is big and it is how we identify ourselves if you are from The County. I am French descent on both sides of my family.

I miss fiddleheads, boudin(sp), and couton, foods I was raised on and you just can not find down here. Oh, and ployes I miss ployes. Every year I get some from back home or from a relative since you can not find buckwheat in my area. Ugh. I miss home food.

I miss being around my culture.
That's pretty cool. My dad's mom is from Quebec, as I am sure a lot of New Englanders have this connection. I took 6 years of French was French Honor Society in high school but haven't used it in 25 years, so I can probably only read it, speak a little or barely enough to get by if I went to France now.

French food is the best, IMO.

Muse

Paleface
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. My dad's mom is from Quebec, as I am sure a lot of New Englanders have this connection. I took 6 years of French was French Honor Society in high school but haven't used it in 25 years, so I can probably only read it, speak a little or barely enough to get by if I went to France now.

In my Freshman year, our French club went to France and my mom came with me. Our teacher who actually lived across the border in Canada was our guardian so to speak as well as my mom. It was amazing. If we had had more time we would have looked up some of our relatives who are still living there.

I agree about the food. :)

patsload

Unregistered User
Reaction score

I am from Quebec, Montreal area, I moved here in 1992 to marry my wife. My daughter did the same as you french all through school and honor society. I also love french food and miss my Montreal foods

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
Ah, YES!

'
French cuisine and culture is big and it is how we identify ourselves if you are from The County. I am French descent on both sides of my family. One side from Canada the other from France.

I miss being around my culture and people who get me when it comes to being French and being from Northern Maine. :(

Sorry for digressing.
Interesting story! I grew up in Northern Montana. 45 -50 miles from Canada (Eh?).

I bet Maine is nice in the winter... :coffee:

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
I prefer the winter than hotter than hell South. LOLOL

Seriously, it's true.

That is pretty cool BSF
I have many relatives in Canada too. I never met most of them. We all emigrated from Germany when the holocaust BS happened.

The extreme seasons are funky.

Flagg the Wanderer

Sonic sez: Clawk Moar Ringz!
Reaction score
1. "Mémère " is the french term used most around here to refer to Grandma. "Pépère" is the Grandpa term. So cool to see it used :)
2. That recipe for the meat stuffing looks so much like our recipe for meat pies up here. We use beef, pork, and whatever wild game we have in the freezer - last couple of years was moose meat.

I'm sure Muse can chime in on this as well as she's very familiar with the acadian cuisine and terms up this way ;)
My memere made meat pies, but hated it as stuffing and used a traditional bread-based stuffing. I agree that it's pretty nasty combined with turkey.

Now, in a fusion for the ages, my mother (full-blooded Italian) swiped Memere's recipe for the stuffing of her meat pies and used it in tortellini. It was transformative. So ridiculously good...

But yeah, like many in New England my grandparents floated down the rivers with the logs. In our case, ending up in New Hampshire.

foobahl

Reaction score
My memere made meat pies, but hated it as stuffing and used a traditional bread-based stuffing. I agree that it's pretty nasty combined with turkey.

Now, in a fusion for the ages, my mother (full-blooded Italian) swiped Memere's recipe for the stuffing of her meat pies and used it in tortellini. It was transformative. So ridiculously good...
I went the opposite way. Always had bread stuffing, while in the service my dad remarried a french lady and that was the one thing we ended up having in common was the french stuffing.

TyLawsPick6

Reaction score
In my Freshman year, our French club went to France and my mom came with me. Our teacher who actually lived across the border in Canada was our guardian so to speak as well as my mom. It was amazing. If we had had more time we would have looked up some of our relatives who are still living there.

I agree about the food. :)
My grandfather drove a tank under Patton and I have his diary of his travels with this battalion before his being captured, so I'd actually love to do a 3 week vacation some day and drive it. I have much more interest in staying in villages than spending a week in Paris and just doing that.

Last edited:

Muse

Paleface
Reaction score
My grandfather drove a tank under Patton and I have his diary of his travels with this battalion before his being captured, so I'd actually live to do a 3 week vacation some day and drive it. I have much more interest in staying in villages than spending a week in Paris and just doing that.
That is awsome as someone who reads all she can about WW1/2

My family in France don't live in Paris, they live in the country side hence time constraints. I don't regret my time in Paris, I don't consider it as just doing that. It was wonderful and exciting for a 15 year old. LOLOL I enjoyed the monestary, Lovre, Notre Dame before it caught fire,Versailles and more. Nope, enjoyed it. It just would have been better to visit relatives who didn't leave 200 plus years ago and have a very rich history of France.

Yes, I am digressing again. I apologize.

Sorry. I blame someone, just not sure who that someone is. LOL

patsload

Unregistered User
Reaction score

But yeah, like many in New England my grandparents floated down the rivers with the logs. In our case, ending up in New Hampshire.
We would always have Tourtière at Christmas but they were stuffed with meat, onions etc

Roberto71

Reaction score