Looking at the Patriots - 2021

Another FA signing that people criticized Belichick for, btw.
Which is crazy beyond belief. He was a classic lunchbucket low cost but potential to be coached up move. He has been very good here for years, and I realize that's not what you're referencing pointing to now, but he had a lot of 3-4 experience in GB and Baltimore and he was a solid player in Baltimore, too. I remember him being effective in the 2014 divisional rd playoff game.

I look at this as another Baltimore based fleecing by BB. Drafting Gronk, this move for Guy, Bethel for Jordan Richards (a release sign thing), and now Judon.

Every time Baltimore mismanages their money, BB pounces.

PS He almost had Derrick Mason back in '09 but his wife claimed she liked Baltimore more than Boston (which I am not sure is a thing). That could have been another.

It's happening, isn't it?

Everything fans hoped for - BB reloading this team in 1 off season, quicker than it's ever been done, to compete and actually win against the best the NFL has to offer.
I am in awe. Everyone should be in awe, fan or not. What he's done has never been done. His plan, his coaching, his GM abilities, his cap handling...every little thing he's done to rebuild his team into a legit contender in 1 offseason has been a masterclass in team building that should be required reading by every NFL owner and GM.

As great as his first 20 years were with 6 Lombardi trophies & 9 appearances, it boggles the mind to think the historically successful 2021 rebuild may actually become his greatest single achievement and the one studied most by his peers.

When people were saying that last season lit a fire under BB's ass, judging by how the team is playing now, it might be the understatement of the century.

We are watching greatness at work. Again.

i dont think in any way shape or form BB needed a fire lit under his ass, last year was a superb achievement to get to 7 wins...BB was just stuck clearing $ off the books.

Agreed, but even to BB's standards this is unprecedented. I personally thought Pats would be a fringe playoff team at best... I thought it would be expecting way too much to be in the running once again. It's even more impressive considering this team was 2-4 and being buried / laughed at by the media at one point.

unprecedented? really? am i the only one that remembers just how bad that 2000 team was and just how impressive of an achievement 2001 was?

Well, hindsight 20-20 that Pats team had several future Pats legends, so my memory might be muddied by that a bit. Also they weren't steamrolling teams like this team is.

Well, hindsight 20-20 that Pats team had several future Pats legends, so my memory might be muddied by that a bit. Also they weren't steamrolling teams like this team is.
It's early days, but I think THIS team has several guys that are strong candidates to end up being Pats legends, assuming they stick around long term. Ignoring the cornerstones that have been here for years:
  • Mac, obviously
  • JCJ
  • Barmore
  • Judon
  • Bourne (as a beloved overachiever in the Troy Brown mold)
  • KVN (in the Vrabes/Ninko swiss army knife Patriots' Way-er)
  • Mondre and/or Harris
  • Andrews
  • maybe Dugger and/or Phillips

96b5a25a2c66d1ea19cb18b5385be3d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

unprecedented? really? am i the only one that remembers just how bad that 2000 team was and just how impressive of an achievement 2001 was?
BB didn't have any of his "guys" in 2000, so he brought in Bryan Cox. Last year he had a whole locker room full of his "guys"

When people were saying that last season lit a fire under BB's ass, judging by how the team is playing now, it might be the understatement of the century.

The only thing I would quibble with is this rebuild started a bit in 2018 and really 2019. I think this was one big reason why Brady didn't resign, is he maybe felt what's happening now wouldn't happen or couldn't with his salary on the books, so it led to the obvious.

BB doesn't do 1 year rebuilds. 2001 is its own animal. That was a magical thing. The proof was 2002 and how they took steps back.

I think that some of our fans may not have seen this rebuild happening prior to 2020/2021 because they happened to win a SB in 2018. Bad teams think they can hit the reset button and flip the script overnight. BB knows it takes 2-3 offseasons to get the house a foundation, so to speak. Admittedly, the FA moves are new approaches, but it's because he was going to have a QB on a rookie deal and he knew it.

The fire never left his ass, his extinguisher went missing.

Cheers

Back