Looking at the Patriots - 2021

The chances of anybody on this blog predicting correctly who Bill Belichick, the greatest and most unpredictable coach will choose in the draft, is almost impossible. I mean, I guess you can name 30 players who the Pats may pick at #15, and it could be one of them. Really, he may trade the pick, which he usually would do, for 2 or 3 later picks. That's my big prediction. He knows he can coach a 6th round quarterback to 6 championships. He's done it. He's the only one. And he'll probably pick up a 2022 first rounder.

I wonder who you folks think is the best current quarterback in the NFL, who could help lead the Pats to another championship. I'm a fan of Russell Wilson, of the
Seahawks, and definitely Mahomes. I liked Watson, but not anymore. Brady's not coming back in 2021. Newton seems to be liked by some players, but I don't think he can do it. The guy who's been in Green Bay forever, he could do it. Aaron Rodgers. And the Pack may not need him anymore. I know he's old for a qb, but hey, he'll throw 35 td's with 4 int's. You can't beat that. The Pats need a top qb, which they don't have, to go all the way. I like Jimmy G, but I admit he's not the best. He may be the best they can get, but they need more. So we'll watch the draft-day trades....

if you look at coaches who have won a sb with a meh-average qb, they are decent to very good coaches, but not h.o.f. coaches. coughlin, pederson,harbaugh, etc.
i think if bb had a kirk cousins level qb(NOT at his pay level though!!!) he could win a couple sbs. remember, the nyg team he was dc for won with simms(good) and hostetler(backup). not an insignificant amout of sbs were won with
meh->avg-> backup qbs.

if you look at coaches who have won a sb with a meh-average qb, they are decent to very good coaches, but not h.o.f. coaches. coughlin, pederson,harbaugh, etc.
i think if bb had a kirk cousins level qb(NOT at his pay level though!!!) he could win a couple sbs. remember, the nyg team he was dc for won with simms(good) and hostetler(backup). not an insignificant amout of sbs were won with
meh->avg-> backup qbs.
And when the giants won their 2nd sb with Hostetler the D game plan BB put together to shut down the unstoppable Bills K-gun is hanging in the HOF.

I'd likely still pay him the $ from the tender. the 110% seems so low it could engender a negative relationship there.

I don't think any team offers a 2 this year for Jackson. I think he is gone next year although we will have a lot of cap so Bill could decide to pay him. I feel like this is a make or break it year in terms of him showing he can be a #1 corner. I kind of look at him the same way I did Logan Ryan. Solid corner who at times can be elite. The thing with Jackson is he gets a lot of turnovers. He has a good nose for the ball. But we also saw what happened when he was asked to cover like a #1 corner when Gilmore was out last year and it was not pretty. So I am psyched to have him for this year and hopefully we also keep Gilmore. We need our secondary to stay in tact as much as possible.

CB is a need this year.Unless Williams sets up . BB was using him at Safety to cover over Teams TE.
I was just listening to the radio and some of the talking heads think Jackson may pull a Butler given his Instagram post. Ugh. I hope not. He has no leverage as a RFA.

meh->avg-> backup qbs.

That's true. Kirk Cousins is actually really good. And the Patriots have fine coaching on the offensive side, with McDaniels, and overall, with Belichick. A quarterback as good as Cousins could excel here.

meh->avg-> backup qbs.
I think the chances of winning a SB with an average QB are very, very slim in today's NFL. Cousins has won one playoff game despite being paid like an elite QB. The rules are just so skewed toward passing that it is near impossible to build a defensive team without a QB who can also put up points. Hostetler was a lifetime ago but if you just look back to 2012 to Joe Flacco who was mediocre, even he played out of his mind in that playoff run for them to win and that was almost 10 years ago.

I do think if a team can win with an average QB you have to have a roster like the Niners did with Jimmy two years ago. You have to be stacked to make up the difference. That has never been Bill. He does not build his roster that way. We are team comprised mostly of mid-tier players which always served as well with Brady because he could elevate mid-tier or even low-tier guys and Bill could do the same with the defense. I think now, we need the elite QB more than ever unless Bill changes his team building approach which I doubt happens. Hopefully we find THE QB either in this year's draft or next year's.

I was just listening to the radio and some of the talking heads think Jackson may pull a Butler given his Instagram post. Ugh. I hope not. He has no leverage as a RFA.
He's going to punch Steve? What did Steve do to deserve that? :coffee:

Back