Looking at the Patriots - 2021

I really like Jones, even more than I did pre-draft, but I don't see him starting him until after the Bucs game. That will be a pretty tough thing to do to the kid. Rookie QB against that defense. It he wins, great, but if he loses, he'll hear about it his entire career no matter what he does after that. Plus the media circus for game 4 will begin as soon as he steps on the field to start game one.

Still, what I liked about him was sustained accuracy and reading defenses. Those should translate well to the NFL level even as defenses are harder to read.

i always like a qb to observe for a year. that said if bb thinks he's ready, i think that game would be a great test of his mental toughness.

Sitting for a year has its advantages - learning, building confidence, gaining poise - to name a few things.
Lately I've begun to think Mac will be a quick learner, his confidence is already solid and his poise has accumulated over the years from his detailed preparedness and by following his handwritten plan. He's living his dream - the hard part is over - he's ready for this. We're only just beginning to see bits and pieces of what he might become.

Play the SOB!

(But I reserve the right to change my mind if the situation changes)

Last edited:
Sitting for a year has its advantages - learning, building confidence, gaining poise - to name a few things.
Lately I've begun to think Mac will be a quick learner, his confidence is already solid and his poise has accumulated over the years from his detailed preparedness and by following his handwritten plan. He's living his dream - the hard part is over - he's ready for this. We're only just beginning to see bits and pieces of what he might become.

Play the SOB!

(But I reserve the right to change my mind if the situation changes)

While I'm going along with all the notions about Newton improving and getting his shot, I'm not going to be the least bit surprised if Mike McCorkle Jones actually
exceeds expectations and beats out a significantly better version of Cam than we saw last season. I am certain that Bill will favor neither and let the competition determine
who is the best guy to lead this team. And, not insignificantly, let the players see it for themselves. Newton has earned some loyalty for his leadership, but if he gets outplayed
by the rookie then a shift will happen organically. They'll know that Jones is the right guy.

It's a lot to ask a rookie to process everything and come up with the right solutions consistently, but that is Mac's very best attribute.

It's entirely possible that he masters, I repeat, MASTERS this offense by September. That was considered virtually impossible, but he
might be the exception to the rule.

To be clearerer, I'm good with him sitting for a long stretch, but I'm not going to be worried whether he's ready or not when he gets the nod.

It's too early to get excited, we're barely into the first training sessions. I mean, they're saying Hoyer made the QB play of the day ffs! All reports gush about rookies at this stage, the New York media are wetting themselves from what they've seen of Wilson.

Newton will likely start the season and let's see how he gets on. There is no point in condemning him in May with his first regular-season snap not coming until September. We have to be patient. If Cam stinks, then BB will make the decision quickly.

Last edited:
I don't think the Hoyer signing has anything to do with Stidham. I think Hoyer is only a mentor and future coach.
This. Hoyer is good solid mentor. I think he is there for Jones. Stidham might still be cut, though. he's the only only one without a job (not a starter, backup, or mentor).

i hate peter king, but here's a segment he wrote on bb.
Peter King[B said:
Bill Belichick turned 69 in April. Twelve years ago, he said he wouldn’t be coaching in his seventies. Two years ago, he said on WEEI in Boston: “When I said it, maybe I didn’t know what 70 felt like.” So how much longer will he coach? Belichick’s not one to talk openly about his plans, or even privately about them. Maybe he doesn’t know. But I get four feelings about him:

• This probably won’t be his last year, and I doubt that 2022 will be. He’s a young 69, maybe not in the effervescent way of fellow 69er Pete Carroll (seven months older than Belichick).

New York Jets v New England Patriots
Patriots coach Bill Belichick. (Getty Images)
• The way Belichick is, I doubt sincerely he’d leave the Patriots with a dim future. He’ll view as part of his legacy the shape he left the franchise. That’s why Mac Jones falling to New England at 15 this year was so important to New England’s long-term future—it allows Belichick to feel like there’s a good chance the team now has its quarterback for the post-Brady period.

• I don’t think he hangs on just to break Don Shula’s all-time record for coaching victories if he thinks it’s time to go after, say, 2023 or ’24. On the all-time coaching wins list (including playoffs), Shula is first with 347, George Halas second with 324, Belichick third with 311. It may take Belichick four years to get those 37 wins. Maybe three or five—who knows? It’s certainly within reach, but I don’t see it being Belichick’s end-game.

• I’m sure, as a dad, Belichick wanted to help his kids on career paths if they wanted the help. Amanda is a lacrosse coach at Holy Cross. Steve, 34, is a Patriots defensive assistant with rising importance. Brian is the team’s safeties coach. Steve’s married, Brian’s slated to get married this summer. The kids are on their way, with helpful assistance from their father.

What it all means: Belichick can walk away on his terms, when he wants. And if the team progresses the way he thinks it will, he can walk away feeling good about the future of what he leaves behind.

Sun Tzu applied to football by Bill Parcells.
So much truth in here. So much BB in here, too.

Dude, you are literally arguing with me about arguing. Lol.

Just wondering if you really, really feel the need to argue with everybody on virtually every topic and why?
He's just doing it for entertainment it's obvious.
TC & PS battle should be very interesting now between Jones &Cam for starting spot. Mac has gotten nothing but rave reviews in Mini camp .

Back