Looking at the Patriots - 2021

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
Well, here's an interesting little table. Cam has a few areas to work on but deep accuracy isn't one of them despite what a few here have said.

E25rw8WXwAwbHiq

chevss454

Reaction score
Our TE room is one of the best in the league.

Jonnu should surprise some Pats fans this year who don't know his abilities as a receiver. Smith is great with the ball in his hands and makes a lot of plays running away from defenders.
Our QB, whoever that is, will find him a comforting presence on the field.
Henry is our "complete" TE; for now, I think of him as 80% of prime Gronk. Only five tight ends averaged more targets on a per-game basis last year. Henry learned quickly how to
help his rookie QB.

How good are our TEs?

Listening to "Moving the Chains" on SiriusXM NFL yesterday ranking the AFC TE rooms --> Patriots are ranked the 2nd best TEs room in the AFC this year, having 2 TEs ranked in the top 5 of AFC TEs.
The Pats are the only team to have 2 TEs ranked individually in the top 10 league wide.
Both Henry and Jonnu were ranked higher league-wide than better known names like Gronk, Engram, Irv Smith, Robert Tonyan and many more.
In the AFC, only Kelce, Waller, Mark Andrews and Fant are ranked higher. Henry is next at 5th and Jonnu is 6th.

NFL TE rankings:
Bold = AFC
1. Kelce

2. Kittle
3. Darren Waller
4. TJ Hockenson (Detroit. Loved the guy in his draft)
5. Mark Andrews
6. Dallas Goedert
7. Noah Fant (projection bc injured much of last year)
8. HHenry
9. Jonnu Smith

sg14

Reaction score
Judging by the colors of that QB color chart, Kirk Cousins is the best, I.e. The most green. And Wentz the worst. Be an interesting year for Wentz.

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
That was really a fun watch. People thought Gronk was hard to bring down, but Coates was a runaway dump truck when he was in his prime. For
the pure ability to run over guys I think he was the strongest TE I've ever seen. He was scary in the open field.

I knew his name when he was a rookie and he didn't play much, but in his second training camp here I heard a quote from
Marv Cook, who was a talented receiving TE for us saying that his days with the team were probably numbered because Coates "was
going to be unbelievable".

Those were prophetic words.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Judging by the colors of that QB color chart, Kirk Cousins is the best, I.e. The most green. And Wentz the worst. Be an interesting year for Wentz.
That chart is a tiny part of a QB, so it's not end all be all because it does not take attempts into account. Can for example had the lowest number of attempts over 20 yards in the air, so his pct might higher in way less attempts. Cool chart though for at least part of a qb

chevss454

Reaction score
Early NFL odds in the top games of the season. Pats are mentioned 4 times and favored in 3 of them.

· Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-3½) at New England Patriots
· Dallas Cowboys at New England Patriots (-1½)
· New England Patriots (-2) at Carolina Panthers
· New England Patriots (-2) at Atlanta Falcons

Odds makers have the Pats going 11-6

Last edited:

chevss454

Reaction score
Rick Gosselin gives his annual "as of June 1st" ranking of all 32 NFL teams; he doesn't like our Pats very much. :mad:
1. TB Bucs
32. Detroit Lions

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Rick Gosselin gives his annual "as of June 1st" ranking of all 32 NFL teams; he doesn't like our Pats very much. :mad:
1. TB Bucs
32. Detroit Lions

That whole list is crap. He has NE worse than Carolina? Miami at 17? Rams at 15? He has the chargers at 11? Did he just throw darts at a dart board?

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score
Gosselin is a writer i do respect. his stuff was behind a pay wall for a bit and i don't pay for articles. i will read this one.