Looking at the Patriots - 2021

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
Baring injury, I expect to see that number or more this season.

You'd almost expect it based on how much we paid those guys, but I suppose it all depends on how we get defended.

We're trying to take advantage of all those teams that play base nickel/dime and have smaller LBs to try to run them over.

I don't care what we do as long as we are dictating what defenses have to concentrate on, so we can keep them on their heels
and counterpunch. It's been a while since we had a balanced offense and now we have the personnel, at least, to pull it off.

When is the last time we added a receiver after training camp who was productive?

What a great question. Beats me.

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe Alshon Jeffrey.

I'd also mention that guy we all know from down in the desert, but I think he's been rumored to come here about 12 times and it hasn't happened yet. I've
heard he's considering retirement and I suppose it's possible he'd consider a swan song here for a chance to revive his career.

I still see a need for an X to balance out the attack and both of those guys come with injury histories and are well into their back nines, but there is
a long history (i.e., Chad, Sanu ) of Bill signing guys like them if the money was reasonable. Just because it hasn't worked out doesn't mean it couldn't
with the right fit.

I expect us to play a lot of 2 TE sets, but even if we went nuts the most teams usually use it is a little more than 50%. . Last year we were
at around 3% and the most we ever did was Gronk and APerp in 2011 at 70%. That means we arguably could still use a capable X and
the other incumbents would fall more naturally into roles where they could be productive.

I expect Bill to kick some tires, at least, but maybe you're right.

Is Alshon still playing? He'd be cheap, for sure, but I don't think he'd make this roster.

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
Is Alshon still playing? He'd be cheap, for sure, but I don't think he'd make this roster.
Free agent. Philly released him in March. He didn't have a big year in 2020, was initially PUP'd and missed most of the season making only two starts.

He's a year younger than Julio and would be much cheaper. He's one of those guys that's played pretty well despite playing
on some bad teams with inconsistent Quarterback play. We might ask why he'd want to come here since our situation there is presently unsettled, but
there could be a desire from him to play for a franchise like ours.

You can't make a real strong case for him as a No. 1 X guy for us from looking at his stats, but he's basically what we hoped N'Keal Harry
would turn out to be -- a big, strong guy who can make contested catches and knows what he's doing. I think he'd be an upgrade to the rotation, at least,
and a viable red zone threat.

I'd call him a possibility.

OP
spacecrime

spacecrime

Reaction score
Free agent. Philly released him in March. He didn't have a big year in 2020, was initially PUP'd and missed most of the season making only two starts.

He's a year younger than Julio and would be much cheaper. He's one of those guys that's played pretty well despite playing
on some bad teams with inconsistent Quarterback play. We might ask why he'd want to come here since our situation there is presently unsettled, but

You can't make a real strong case for him as a No. 1 X guy for us from looking at his stats, but he's basically what we hoped N'Keal Harry
would turn out to be -- a big, strong guy who can make contested catches and knows what he's doing. I think he'd be an upgrade to the rotation, at least,

Mebbe, but he's been a FA since March adn the Patriots have signed a bunch of WRs since then. Last week they preferred Marvin Hall to Jeffrey. :shrug-n:

chevss454

Reaction score

A lot of what you say is true especially with the comparison to Harry. Jeffrey was never fast or quick.
The problem, as I see it anyway, is that I don't think Harry will make this roster either, based on his merits & not draft position, unless he makes a quantum leap in TC. That could come with a change to the slot position so he can live out his Boldin dreams. Can Harry beat out Meyers and Bourne to be our slot guy?
Also consider that we have legit TEs now to make those tough catches in the RZ without having to steal a roster spot for a guy sliding down the slippery slope into retirement.

Last edited:

chevss454

Reaction score
JC Jackson will be nationally recognized for his outstanding play soon.
Ramsey is the highest paid CB in the league at $20M/.
JCJ will be paid soon, too.
E3TYX7dX0AIW9Yp

rivshark86

Reaction score
Alshon was always heavy going back to his SC days. When you’re young you can get away with it to some extent, but I don’t think it’s helping him now with all the ankle and foot injuries piling up. To me there were some major red flags with his recovery process last season.

OP
spacecrime

spacecrime

Reaction score

One of the few bright spots in what was a difficult season for the New England Patriots was the play of running back Damien Harris. The former Alabama star bolstered the Patriots running game in a big way. One statistic in particular shows just how explosive he was.

Nick Shook of NFL Media compiled a metric that ranked the NFL’s most explosive running backs. Players needed to record 100 rushing attempts and at least 20 carries of 10-plus yards to make the list.

Harris reached 15 miles per hour on 22.6% of his rushing attempts in 2020. 31-of-137 rushing attempts reached 15 miles per hour.

“Here’s one surprise right off the bat,” Shook wrote. “Harris landed on this list because of his productivity despite seeing just 137 attempts last season, but he proved to be an occasional spark plug for the Patriots on the ground. Harris’ 31 runs of 15-plus mph showed he can consistently ramp up to a dangerous speed when carrying the ball, and when he has the space to really let it rip, he’s proven to be among the league’s fastest. Harris reached 20.6 mph on a 41-yard rush in Week 4 against Kansas City, which was the highest speed on a single rush by a Patriot since the 2018 season.”
He recorded 137 rushing attempts for 691 yards and two touchdowns last season. He has the chance to be a fixture in a crowded running back room for the Patriots in 2021. Along with his physicality, he certainly brings an element of speed.

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
JC Jackson will be nationally recognized for his outstanding play soon.
Ramsey is the highest paid CB in the league at $20M/.
JCJ will be paid soon, too.
E3TYX7dX0AIW9Yp

Huge difference is that Ramsey did that as a #1, who QBs typically avoid.

JC has the YUGE advantage of playing with Gilmore; he was nowhere as good when Gilmore was out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
spacecrime

spacecrime

Reaction score

JC has the YUGE advantage of playing with Gilmore; he was nowhere as good when Gilmore was out.

Agree totally, but it won't make any difference as far as media and fan (preset company excluded) notoriety go. Stats rule.

chevss454

Reaction score

And that's exactly how BB will approach negotiations with him.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
And that's exactly how BB will approach negotiations with him.
Probably and he should, but maybe not toward the player. Players do not like to hear. Hey, you are really not that good, you are just covered up here by other players so we are going to offer you less than what someone of your same stats are getting elsewhere....do we have a deal?

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
Probably and he should, but maybe not toward the player. Players do not like to hear. Hey, you are really not that good, you are just covered up here by other players so we are going to offer you less than what someone of your same stats are getting elsewhere....do we have a deal?
Chev - Can you send Middies direction to BB so he doesn't screw this up?

TIA,

Al

Last edited:

king of kings

All Hail
Reaction score
Just booked My flight for Carolina game. My total trip cost will still be cheaper then Oct 3 Game ticket. I much rather go to Newton return game.

rivshark86

Reaction score
I view Jackson almost like Ju Ju before AB left Pittsburgh. He’s benefiting a lot from Gilmore and the safety play.
Still though he’s pretty damn good. Good enough a team will pay him more than he’s worth. In two years the secondary could look thin.
But heck in today’s NFL that’s true for any position group on any team.

Roberto71

Reaction score

It's insane that the NFL was putting so many games into London and ignoring Germany. There is a HUGE fan base in Germany for the NFL, the fans will be itching to get games there. A venue like the Allianz Arena in Munich would be ideal and would make for a fantastic trip for any US fans, especially if it coincides with Oktoberfest!!

munich-700x325.jpg

17936793_303.jpg

Oktoberfest-Germany-1.jpg