Looking at the Patriots - 2021

This could be a year BB finally wins Coach of the Year again

Between the 2011 and 2020 seasons, Belichick’s teams have combined to win three championships, nine division titles, and 73.6 percent of their games. No other coach has come close to reaching the same success, and yet, the trophy went to the following coaches during that time:

Arguments can be made for most of these coaches in the respective seasons, they themselves would probably name Belichick as the best coach in football each of those years. And yet, he won the award recognizing the NFL’s top head coach a grand total of zero times between 2011 and 2020.

Evan Lazar takes a stab at BB's 53 man roster. No real surprises. Some minor surprises. Some players you wish he could hold on to for a while but overall a good effort, I think, from Evan.

Pretty good mock. My only change from that list would be Bentley and slotting in either McMillan or Langi. Either of them offer more than Bentley unless he's kept as a run down LB exclusively.

Cam picked up the Patriot Way pretty quickly. Bruschi said the same thing as Cam just did when Mayo was drafted and then started mentoring Mayo. Not all players do this. I remember Favre saying I'm not here to train anyone when Rogers was drafted.

Pretty good mock. My only change from that list would be Bentley and slotting in either McMillan or Langi. Either of them offer more than Bentley unless he's kept as a run down LB exclusively.

I also thought it was pretty good, but have a few bones to pick.

I agree with you about Bentley and didn't see significant improvement last season. I know he had 90 tackles, but to me that was because he gets run at and targeted, but I
keep reading that he is a leader and has improved, and so forth, so I'm going to assume that I just missed all of that. I'd rather have Langi or Terez Hall, who I thought
showed some toughness and potential when he got thrown to the lions (not those Lions) after we found him at a bus station. J'Whaun is moderately good at plugging
inside gaps and isn't a lightweight, but he can't play in space and just doesn't seem to be terrifically instinctive. But.....maybe it's me.

I can't beef about him projecting Sherman to make the team as an OL, because I've seen about 5 seconds of him. Korey Cunningham was not the worst emergency
call up I've seen, but I wouldn't pound the table to keep him. Justin Herron was quietly impressive last season and really only needs a little more anchor and technique to be
a solid starter. As it is, he is a useful and valuable swing guy who you can start in a pinch and not worry too much.

I think his theory about trying to trade some of our recent draft disappointments makes sense, but think only Sony Michel might get us as much as a day two pick and I'd
like to keep Stidham around somehow until he gets something approaching a legit chance in a game that matters. He could show well and increase his value and it'd be
risky to hang onto Cam when a long-term player might already be on the roster. I expect we'll keep three.

I can't see Dalton Keene making this team unless his blocking has improved substantially. He never resembled the player he was in College, but since he barely played
I won't claim that he couldn't help us in some way. As long as we don't have to watch Jakob Johnson anymore I'll be happy enough.

I'll speculate that Lazar is going a little light at DL, which is a position where guys tend to get banged up, and think either Cowart, Montravius Adams or Carl Davis should
stick if we can lose Anfernee Jennings or trade Winovich since we have a ton of flexibility at Edge/LB.

Something tells me that Bill didn't enjoy watching a Patriots D that was helpless to stop inside runs and the DL was at least as culpable as the decimated LB corps. Let's
keep an extra widebody and lose one of the 16 edge clones we've collected.

Something tells me that Bill didn't enjoy watching a Patriots D that was helpless to stop inside runs and the DL was at least as culpable as the decimated LB corps. Let's
I didn't enjoy it. Bill must have hated it. But those losses that were on the D got us a high enough draft pick to snag Mac Jones, so it's all good for me.

I also thought it was pretty good, but have a few bones to pick.

I agree with you about Bentley and didn't see significant improvement last season. I know he had 90 tackles, but to me that was because he gets run at and targeted, but I
keep reading that he is a leader and has improved, and so forth, so I'm going to assume that I just missed all of that. I'd rather have Langi or Terez Hall, who I thought
showed some toughness and potential when he got thrown to the lions (not those Lions) after we found him at a bus station. J'Whaun is moderately good at plugging
inside gaps and isn't a lightweight, but he can't play in space and just doesn't seem to be terrifically instinctive. But.....maybe it's me.

I can't beef about him projecting Sherman to make the team as an OL, because I've seen about 5 seconds of him. Korey Cunningham was not the worst emergency
call up I've seen, but I wouldn't pound the table to keep him. Justin Herron was quietly impressive last season and really only needs a little more anchor and technique to be
a solid starter. As it is, he is a useful and valuable swing guy who you can start in a pinch and not worry too much.

I think his theory about trying to trade some of our recent draft disappointments makes sense, but think only Sony Michel might get us as much as a day two pick and I'd
like to keep Stidham around somehow until he gets something approaching a legit chance in a game that matters. He could show well and increase his value and it'd be
risky to hang onto Cam when a long-term player might already be on the roster. I expect we'll keep three.

I can't see Dalton Keene making this team unless his blocking has improved substantially. He never resembled the player he was in College, but since he barely played
I won't claim that he couldn't help us in some way. As long as we don't have to watch Jakob Johnson anymore I'll be happy enough.

I'll speculate that Lazar is going a little light at DL, which is a position where guys tend to get banged up, and think either Cowart, Montravius Adams or Carl Davis should
stick if we can lose Anfernee Jennings or trade Winovich since we have a ton of flexibility at Edge/LB.

I'll gladly leave the DT room to your expertise.

For those who didn't read the article, these are current players Lazar sees as players who may not be Pats in '21.
QB Jarrett Stidham
WR N’Keal Harry
RB Sony Michel
DE Chase Winovich
CB Joejuan Williams
TE Dalton Keene
LB Anfernee Jennings

Personally, I'd like to keep Stidham since he's gotten short changed so far. Fast track him along with Mac Jones and let's see what we've got.
I was done with Harry the day he was drafted. I'd trade him for a 6th and be happy I got the pick.
Michel has played well & has good value as RBs go but that's the problem. RBs are a dime a dozen these days. His replacements are already on the team. Later on day 2 seems right to me.
Be nice if some team out there is saying "the Pats have used Winovich all wrong. He doesn't fit their scheme nearly as well as he fits our scheme". Maybe BB can find that team and get a late pick back.
I wonder if Joejuan Williams can play S.
Keene and Jennings are afterthoughts in my mind - developmental players who won't bring anything in a trade since they've done nothing. I'm thinking practice squad presently. It would be a shame to throw them out prematurely because of injuries. Wish I knew how their psych testing went.

For those who didn't read the article, these are current players Lazar sees as players who may not be Pats in '21.
QB Jarrett Stidham
WR N’Keal Harry
RB Sony Michel
DE Chase Winovich
CB Joejuan Williams
TE Dalton Keene
LB Anfernee Jennings

Personally, I'd like to keep Stidham since he's gotten short changed so far. Fast track him along with Mac Jones and let's see what we've got.
I was done with Harry the day he was drafted. I'd trade him for a 6th and be happy I got the pick.
Michel has played well & has good value as RBs go but that's the problem. RBs are a dime a dozen these days. His replacements are already on the team. Later on day 2 seems right to me.
Be nice if some team out there is saying "the Pats have used Winovich all wrong. He doesn't fit their scheme nearly as well as he fits our scheme". Maybe BB can find that team and get a late pick back.
Keene and Jennings are afterthoughts in my mind - developmental players who won't bring anything in a trade since they've done nothing. I'm thinking practice squad presently. It would be a shame to throw them out prematurely because of injuries. Wish I knew how their psych testing went.
Would like to see Stidham succeed but Lazar is not a fan, claims Stid has the worst interception rate of any QB since those stats have been kept. Think Stidham's problem was his choice of colleges, he should have gone to a school with a pro style offense. Would Dick Rehbein have drafted Stid?

Lazar and his buddy Alex said that Keene has had a neck injury last year that was kept on the down low.
I think Sony stays. Doesn't fumble, pass catching is improving. Don't think Stevenson will be ready.

Been thinking the Pat's draft to match other NFL players, Sony=Alvin K. Harry=Michael Thomas, Keene= G. Little,,,that's what they were hoping for. Oops.

QB Jarrett Stidham
WR N’Keal Harry
RB Sony Michel
DE Chase Winovich
CB Joejuan Williams
TE Dalton Keene
LB Anfernee Jennings

We've done a fine job retooling the DL between the draft and FA, but 5 is too few. A couple of observations:

Barmore -- I've heard and read suggestions that Barmore isn't a hard worker and has trouble showing up for meetings on time and things of that nature. I don't know
many details, but know that those sorts of things will not be tolerated by Belichick. Only sub-standard work ethic could prevent Christian from being one of the top DLs in the league. I
believe he could be a dominant player in the mold of Fletcher Cox and one of the rare guys in football that have the size to anchor and stuff double-teams and the mobility
and quickness to make tackles along the entire box. I'm not expecting him to be Aaron Donald versus passing games, but he can and will pressure QBs better than any
interior DL we've had here. Ever. As long as he wants it and adapts to what we expect, the sky is the limit and I don't expect him to take long to become productive. People
that haven't seen him play are going to be quickly impressed. He uses his powerful hands and arms to keep guys off his chest and keeps his head up at all times. He doesn't lose
track of the ball and becomes a heat-seeking missile that locks on and closes quick. He's "country strong" like Richard Seymour was and shows fine instincts even though he hasn't
played long enough to have seen it all yet. His floor is high and but his ceiling could be way higher. I don't usually like to watch Alabama, but down the stretch last season I
focused on Barmore because he was dominant on almost every snap and I couldn't take my eyes off him. I base my opinion on a small sampling and don't usually like to do that, but couldn't help myself. He is perfect for what we need on the field and should shatter the local 2nd round jinx. I can't understand why he didn't go top 20, unless it was fear that he will go off the reservation. Let'shope all those worries are totally unfounded as they are with a lot of players around the league who end up in the pro bowl. We should find out quick enough.

Henry Anderson -- I liked watching Henry when he was at Stanford and projected him to the Pats then. He's tall and strong and has a weird knack for slipping blocks and penetrating which is unusual for a guy that is 6' 6". He's smart and steady and has recently been rated as a top 10 run stuffing DL. He's definitely an under-the-radar guy similar to Lawrence Guy and he'll do his job well from the opening whistle. Anderson plays textbook run at DE but can slide inside when you need him.

Davon Godchaux -- I knew his name and that he was from LSU, but during 2019 I noticed him because he was about the only guy on the Miami D who kept fighting (5 tackles) as we blew
them out 43-0, then in the season finale he once again proved a pain in the ass with 4 tackles (2 for loss) and pushed Shaq Mason around a few times, which doesn't happen often and
the Dolphins beat us. He's a pure interior guy. Compact, but very strong and should be coming into his prime. He's another really hard worker.

So, we know Lawrence Guy and Deatrich Wise, but I'd prefer for one more guy from the current roster to rise up from the pack. Byron Cowart, Montravius Adams and Carl Davis
have all shown flashes but one of them needs to demand a job. I believe one of them will and that's what camp is for. Carl Davis is the biggest guy of that group and in
very limited snaps showed signs that he could be a beast, but he got hurt pretty fast. Cowart had a rough year, but took a ton of snaps and will occasionally flash impressive
athletic skill. He needs to anchor better and understand what he's seeing, but he's got some potential. Adams was excellent at Auburn and seemed to be the leader of that D, but
I don't know what happened to him up in Green Bay.

Apparently Ronnie Perkins will be transitioned from a rush only DE in college to a do-it-all outside linebacker.

His attitude is right on the money. He will be some player in this league if he can manage this switch. As people were saying, he was a steal in the draft.

E4fYeaLXIAcFG0a

Good to hear the below, Trent has come to play.

5. Brown in town: When healthy and in good physical condition, Trent Brown has been one of the NFL's best offensive tackles. So it seemed more than a passing note that Brown said he plans to spend the next six weeks -- when some players sneak in final vacations before the grind of the season -- in Foxborough working with the Patriots' strength and conditioning, and athletic training staff. He did the same thing in 2018 when he had the best season of his career, and said: "I'm just following that same blueprint."

Back