Looking at the Patriots - 2021

Mazz22

Age 43 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score
PFF ranks every team's receivers.

26. New England Patriots

Patriots wide receivers and tight ends have the third-worst receiving grade over the last two years, hence their aggressive moves to rectify that this offseason. They add Nelson Agholor who is coming off a strong 2020 season with 896 yards and 18.7 yards per reception. Agholor has graded above 70.0 just twice in his six-year career, so there is some risk with his signing given a history of drops and inconsistency.

Kendrick Bourne is a solid possession option who has graded at 70.0-plus as a receiver in each of the last two years. Jakobi Meyers has been fantastic when given an opportunity in his two years, and he graded at 78.6 last year while leading the Patriots with 37 first downs. He’s an excellent route runner who works best as a No. 2 or No. 3 option. N’Keal Harry has struggled in his two seasons with route running being a big issue. Harry has been open on just 25.5% of his targets against single coverage, 99th out of 100 qualifiers. Gunner Olszewski adds depth.

Patriots tight ends had a league-low 18 catches last season, but that will certainly change after they signed both Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith in free agency. Henry once looked like the next great young tight end, but he’s settled in as a solid option with a 72.5 overall grade since 2018, 20th-best in the league. Smith has the No. 17 receiving grade during that time, and he’s averaged an impressive 6.7 yards after the catch per reception in his four-year career. New England now has the pieces to add the tight ends back into their passing attack. Henry and Smith push a pair of 2020 third-rounders, Devin Asiasi and Dalton Keene, down the depth chart.

The Patriots have had one of the slowest and most ineffective groups of pass-catchers in the league over the last few years, and they’ve taken great strides to rectify that this offseason.

TB comes in 1st.
No more talk about Brady's lack of weapons.

Chiefs come in 3rd.
26 is pretty depressing but pretty much accurate for this season. Hopefully the run game and Oline hold up to carry us.

In terms of Brady, there was zero talk of him not having weapons last year and he won the Super Bowl throwing for 50 total TDs during the season. That was kind of the whole point why he left. And it served him pretty darn well and the Bucs.

Last edited:

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
26 is pretty depressing but pretty much accurate for this season. Hopefully the run game and Oline hold up to carry us.

In terms of Brady, there was zero talk of him not having weapons last year and he won the Super Bowl throwing for 50 total TDs during the season. That was kind of the whole point why he left. And it served him pretty darn well and the Bucs.

2021 Patriots thread. She says 26 is depressing. She doesn't exactly say SHE'S depressed. I think she came here just to give Tommy another oral servicing. :hello:

Cheers

rivshark86

Reaction score
PFF ranks every team's receivers.

26. New England Patriots

Patriots wide receivers and tight ends have the third-worst receiving grade over the last two years, hence their aggressive moves to rectify that this offseason. They add Nelson Agholor who is coming off a strong 2020 season with 896 yards and 18.7 yards per reception. Agholor has graded above 70.0 just twice in his six-year career, so there is some risk with his signing given a history of drops and inconsistency.

Kendrick Bourne is a solid possession option who has graded at 70.0-plus as a receiver in each of the last two years. Jakobi Meyers has been fantastic when given an opportunity in his two years, and he graded at 78.6 last year while leading the Patriots with 37 first downs. He’s an excellent route runner who works best as a No. 2 or No. 3 option. N’Keal Harry has struggled in his two seasons with route running being a big issue. Harry has been open on just 25.5% of his targets against single coverage, 99th out of 100 qualifiers. Gunner Olszewski adds depth.

Patriots tight ends had a league-low 18 catches last season, but that will certainly change after they signed both Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith in free agency. Henry once looked like the next great young tight end, but he’s settled in as a solid option with a 72.5 overall grade since 2018, 20th-best in the league. Smith has the No. 17 receiving grade during that time, and he’s averaged an impressive 6.7 yards after the catch per reception in his four-year career. New England now has the pieces to add the tight ends back into their passing attack. Henry and Smith push a pair of 2020 third-rounders, Devin Asiasi and Dalton Keene, down the depth chart.

The Patriots have had one of the slowest and most ineffective groups of pass-catchers in the league over the last few years, and they’ve taken great strides to rectify that this offseason.

TB comes in 1st.
No more talk about Brady's lack of weapons.

Chiefs come in 3rd.
I sure hope the coaching staff lets Cam have this season while Mac gets acclimated. At least most of it. The offense isn’t ready. Cam wants to start, let him carry the burden for this year.

Mazz22

Reaction score
I sure hope the coaching staff lets Cam have this season while Mac gets acclimated. At least most of it. The offense isn’t ready. Cam wants to start, let him carry the burden for this year.
I would rather Mac play and develop while playing. He is a first round pick for a reason. Lawrence will start as will Wilson and we have better rosters than both the Jags and Jets. Why throw away another season with Cam?
What if Jones looks like Herbert did last year?

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score

I'm told BB is treating TC as an open competition for QB and whoever wins the job will play. Most assume it will be Cam bc of his experience but that's not written in stone.

chevss454

Reaction score

Even if it's just lip service, I like it!

He knows he'll get paid when the time comes. All rookies have to go through their rookie years before being paid well and he's acknowledging that fact. No more, no less. I wouldn't read too much into it other than that.

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
Imagine Jonnu running behind Mason, TBrown and HHenry here. I like it

View: https://twitter.com/SKProFootball/status/1417643657969209348

Lord God and Sonny Jesus---- Jonnu is going to be a beast in the McOffense.

He'll give us everything that Aperp did on the field and is a great guy off it.

The only trait that he lacks (a little) is height. He's fast as hell, wants it, has fine hands, blocks and runs hard, and wins the contested catches. I briefly wondered why
we would sign both him and HH, but watching a clip like the one you provided gives us a pretty big clue as to how we can get plenty of
bang for the big bucks we spent.

Plus, the guy has improved steadily every season and is just now reaching his physical prime. He should get even better. Mike Vrabel likely had a massive
headache to lose a guy like him to the Pats.

Yeah, I saw the "26th" ranking for the WRs, but defenses will be stressed to defend our TEs and running game and I expect that ranking to be
a conservative projection. We'll be more middle of the pack, which is fine for what we do.

We will have our best pass rush in over a decade (possibly ever), outstanding DBs, depth and veteran leadership in the front 7, a fine OL, the best pair of TEs in the league,
a deep, diverse RB rotation, good enough skill players outside, quality special teams and the best HC in history.

What we need, quite obviously, is better QB play. That's it. All other family business has been settled.

Mazz22

Reaction score

The only trait that he lacks (a little) is height. He's fast as hell, wants it, has fine hands, blocks and runs hard, and wins the contested catches. I briefly wondered why
we would sign both him and HH, but watching a clip like the one you provided gives us a pretty big clue as to how we can get plenty of

Plus, the guy has improved steadily every season and is just now reaching his physical prime. He should get even better. Mike Vrabel likely had a massive

Yeah, I saw the "26th" ranking for the WRs, but defenses will be stressed to defend our TEs and running game and I expect that ranking to be
a conservative projection. We'll be more middle of the pack, which is fine for what we do.

We will have our best pass rush in over a decade (possibly ever), outstanding DBs, depth and veteran leadership in the front 7, a fine OL, the best pair of TEs in the league,
a deep, diverse RB rotation, good enough skill players outside, quality special teams and the best HC in history.

What we need, quite obviously, is better QB play. That's it. All other family business has been settled.
Such a good post until the last sentence.

1626876443754.png

Mazz22

Reaction score
In CAM we trust. :cool:
I have to say Hawg's post has gotten me amped up despite Cam. LOL.

BTW, I have never been so psyched for TC in probably 15 years. Rookies report today including Mac of course. Non rookie QBs I think report Thursday. It is almost time!!

chevss454

Reaction score

Good post.
You're right, he'll fit right into APerp's move TE role perfectly. Impossible to predict where he's going from the formation.

I think I've finally figured out why BB chose Agholor as his WR 1. After looking at some videos and reading a lot of articles from Philly's newspapers, it's bc Agholor complements TEs by doing the dirty work most WRs don't want to do - he'll willingly run interference and draw inside coverage away from the TEs so they can get open more easily and if teams decide to cover the TEs instead, he can catch the ball and run. He did this in Philly so well he was signed to his 5th year option.

Hawg73

Reaction score
Good post.
You're right, he'll fit right into APerp's move TE role perfectly. Impossible to predict where he's going from the formation.

I think I've finally figured out why BB chose Agholor as his WR 1. After looking at some videos and reading a lot of articles from Philly's newspapers, it's bc Agholor complements TEs by doing the dirty work most WRs don't want to do - he'll willingly run interference and draw inside coverage away from the TEs so they can get open more easily and if teams decide to cover the TEs instead, he can catch the ball and run. He did this in Philly so well he was signed to his 5th year option.

I believe that Agholor's biggest problem is the perception created when he was dropping balls in Philly earlier in his career. The guy we saw in Oakland last season was
not that guy at all and he showed he can do everything necessary. We paid a lot for him, but I see a guy that figured out his weaknesses and corrected them. Plus, as you
pointed out, he's not a typical diva wide recievah. He's a football player.

Roberto71

Reaction score
I believe that Agholor's biggest problem is the perception created when he was dropping balls in Philly earlier in his career. The guy we saw in Oakland last season was
not that guy at all and he showed he can do everything necessary. We paid a lot for him, but I see a guy that figured out his weaknesses and corrected them. Plus, as you

He was the one in the Raiders locker room apparently kicking his teammate's ass, telling them they all had to improve.

Mazz22

Reaction score
Playing with Gruden and Carr in that Raiders offense had Agholor produce his best season which is not a surprise. I don't think Gruden ever gets enough credit for how good his offenses are and how well he coaches QBs. That being said, I think Agholor should be a good fit for us if his hands improve. He has the right attitude for our team approach.

Hawg73

Reaction score
I have to say Hawg's post has gotten me amped up despite Cam. LOL.

BTW, I have never been so psyched for TC in probably 15 years. Rookies report today including Mac of course. Non rookie QBs I think report Thursday. It is almost time!!

It's so wonderful to read that you are excited for camp. I think that is a sensible way for anybody paying attention to approach the Pats in 2021, so let's
call it a step in the right direction.

Nothing I wrote was exaggerated in order to get anybody artificially cranked. That is exactly what I believe and I've been paying attention
for a long time. Preseason optimism has rarely been my thing.

I'm sure you're looking forward to plenty of gratifying vent sessions every time Cam takes a false step in a 7 on 7, but I'll just observe the process and
won't worry about a thing. It's just a matter of time before the position clicks no matter who wins the job.

My late Mother said it simply and best:

Better Days Are Coming.