Looking at the Patriots - 2021

I am going to borrow from another poster on a different Pats site named Ice but his summation of the off-season is pretty much dead on with my view so I will quote part of him here.

Most likely this offseason will not result in an overall positive gain for the Patriots. You don't build a team through free agency; the guys they signed, like with everyone in free agency, are mid/mid-upper class players, and they're paying them top salaries. That's what free agency is, with occasional exceptions. You use it to fill our your roster and plug holes. Sure, there's a slight silver lining in 2021 because of the lower cap and less bidders, but this wasn't some brilliant coup and market inefficiency. It was a team with a ton of cash to burn because of so many personnel failures, mainly through the draft, but also failures to lock up their own players long-term. It would have been the perfect "reckoning year" had they backloaded contracts and kept the late 2010s largely in tact and added some free agents to a championship contender. Instead of using the backloading cap flexibility when they had the chance, they found themselves with way more extra cap space than they should have had. And of course they had no QB succession plan which pretty much torpedoes the overall success of any team when the most important position is vacant.

If this were the Jets or Dolphins, we'd be laughing at them like Kraft said for proclaiming they're looking at some market inefficiencies and capitalizing on them. They outbid teams for a bunch of overpriced free agents and made "a splash." I expect this team will at least be competitive for a Wild Card in 2021 if everything falls right (Cam is better or the rookie QB we draft, the FAs pan out, we don't get decimated with injuries, etc) and then will have some really big problems if we don't hit a home run in this draft.

Wow.

Just... wow.
Yeah, this team hasn’t really improved at all.
A completely revamped front seven.
Two outstanding TEs.
Two very good possession receivers.

Yeah, a terrible offseason.

Notice how only Middie and Rivshark agree with you? That’s fairly telling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dew we get it you hate BB , Cam & have posted nothing but negative comments about pats FA signings. Including resigning White. You said had no market value. Is their anything you actually liked about the off season moves ?
Please. BB makes mistakes like anybody else and he has made a ton over the last few years. I always back up my posts with stats and facts and state it like I see it based on that. If that makes me a hater, so be it but I am not going to pump the guys tires just because he had great success in the past.

You obviously did not read my posts about FA or just chose to cherry pick to suit your narrative. I liked the White signing. I said that multiple times. Felt he was a key FA for us to keep. He did not have any market value which is also true and that was also good for us because we got him on the cheap. I also loved that we signed Guy and Andrews - 2 cornerstones for the lines IMO. I also loved that we brought back Van Noy and looks like we are keeping Hightower too although, I wish we would restructure him. I think it is key for us to get Jackson back and to extend Gilmore if we can. We can't afford to lose either of them IMO on the back end.

My biggest hope is we hit on a QB and a WR in the draft. Then we can really start talking about us being a contender again.

Please. BB makes mistakes like anybody else and he has made a ton over the last few years. I always back up my posts with stats and facts and state it like I see it based on that. If that makes me a hater, so be it but I am not going to pump the guys tires just because he had great success in the past.

You obviously did not read my posts about FA or just chose to cherry pick to suit your narrative. I liked the White signing. I said that multiple times. Felt he was a key FA for us to keep. He did not have any market value which is also true and that was also good for us because we got him on the cheap. I also loved that we signed Guy and Andrews - 2 cornerstones for the lines IMO. I also loved that we brought back Van Noy and looks like we are keeping Hightower too although, I wish we would restructure him. I think it is key for us to get Jackson back and to extend Gilmore if we can. We can't afford to lose either of them IMO on the back end.

My biggest hope is we hit on a QB and a WR in the draft. Then we can really start talking about us being a contender again.
So you liked every resign, but not a single FA signing from another team? Is FA just poison?

Your talking to wrong person. I'm not someone who refuses to say anything negative about BB. I think Kraft & Bb realize his old way . Wasn't working anymore decided to change it up. Fix his mistakes in FA. Since he had the cap room this year. Yes you did go negative on White. So don't pretend you didn't . I will find that post.
I know you're not. I was just talking about the board in general. I very much enjoy your posts as you are always very candid and add a lot of value with your takes and comments.

So you liked every resign, but not a single FA signing from another team? Is FA just poison?

The whole offseason Mazz mentioned how BB would not be able to attract FAs because of Cam and the lack of Brady. BB went in and spent the most he's ever spent in a free agency, so she changed her tune. She was now saying that they came for the money and BB overpaid. This is just another of those posts to posture up her view previously even though it seems as though everything she predicted ended up having the opposite happening.

I like Smith and Judon a lot. I think both can be impact players this season. The rest of the guys were pretty much JAGs IMO. I like Henry but he has been declining the last couple of seasons and is often injured. I think Agholor could maybe add something if we had a better QB. I think we massively overpaid for Mills but we'll see. He can play a lot of positions which is good.

The whole offseason Mazz mentioned how BB would not be able to attract FAs because of Cam and the lack of Brady. BB went in and spent the most he's ever spent in a free agency, so she changed her tune. She was now saying that they came for the money and BB overpaid. This is just another of those posts to posture up her view previously even though it seems as though everything she predicted ended up having the opposite happening.

It’s tiring how repetitive her schtick has been. The Patriots have had a tremendous offseason. To argue otherwise is just pure hatred of BB.

Only 5.5 mill of Mills contract is guaranteed. Thats not a bad price. He fits BB mold of players that can play both Safety & CB. Smith & Agholor are only contracts. I think he over paid

And when the cap goes up soon even their contracts will look like a bargain!

The other thing to note with FAs coming to the Pats specifically is we have a very complex system both on offense and defense. It is not easily picked up by players from other systems. If you look at our FA history, we have had some excellent pick-ups and some huge misses. When you go out and get the amount of FAs we did, the law of averages says maybe half of them will work out and by work out, I mean just be solid contributors not super stars. Now you add to that Cam who he himself said he struggled all last year with the system and could not figure out pre vs post snap reads and you have a huge mountain in front of you. You have a bunch of new FAs playing with a QB who is also not comfortable. This is why I would like to have Jimmy come back. I think the upgrade of him knowing the system over Cam would be monumental even with his injury history.

Fact. PFF ranked the terrible horrible no good very bad Cam Newton ahead of JimmyG for last year. Ranking based only on the games played and not docked bc of injury.
23rd vs 43rd. Maybe you should reconsider thinking JG is an upgrade.

Fact. PFF ranked the terrible horrible no good very bad Cam Newton ahead of JimmyG for last year. Ranking based only on the games played and not docked bc of injury.
23rd vs 43rd. Maybe you should reconsider thinking JG is an upgrade.
You would rather have Cam than Jimmy?

Only 5.5 mill of Mills contract is guaranteed. Thats not a bad price. He fits BB mold of players that can play both Safety & CB. Smith & Agholor are only contracts. I think he over paid
I agree. The contract is not bad. We will see how it all shakes out. If we upgrade at QB either thru the draft or Jimmy than I think the season will be pretty good.

Is his first name Vanilla?
Do you remember that Giant Octopuses guy? Might be the best screen name ever. LOL He is a great poster too. I see him here and other forums as well. Always uses the same name.

Here’s a great read.
“But BB teh suxz at drafting!”

Back