Looking at the Patriots - 2021

Y

You really should broaden your horizons beyond PFF.

The QB is the one position you absolutely should pay for no matter what. The Pats have the money so there is no excuses. If Jimmy is Plan A as they have been saying, then go get him and pay him.

What’s the Patriots’ cap situation again, pre draft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't buy the plan A thing anyway. First, it's some unnamed source within Foxborough, not exactly Bill. Second, if it were true it would be incredibly stupid to say it. It's like, "Hey, Team X! You've got us by the balls so don't forget to twist while you're squeezing!"

So you think Kraft is fine with another middler season after spending the most capital (real money not cap money) he ever has since buying the team?

Patriots owner Robert Kraft made it quite clear that he’s no fan of losing​

????? What I said was that you misquoted Kraft to make it sound like he didn't like spending $250 mil and that meant he was pissed at BB and that BB needs to have a great draft this year, when in fact Kraft clearly said that this was a unique opportunity to purchase top talent because there were a lot of FA cap casualties available and only the Pats and two other teams have money so there was little competition.

I never said Kraft was okay with losing. What I said was Kraft said the Patriots were in the business of winning football games, not making money. Listen to the God Damn interview. Listen to the actual words, all of them, not just one or two half sentences taken out of context. Listen to his tone of voice. Does he sound angry? Or does he sound like a guy simply and matter-of-factly answering an interviewer who asked a question?

Kraft has ALWAYS spent to the cap and often converted salary into a signing bonus to spend OVER the cap in some years.

Kraft doesn't like losing. What owner/coach/player/fan would. But he is in this for the long haul and two years of not winning a playoff game is not going to freak him out or cause him to make major changes in the way the Pats are run. They went all out in 2019, and whiffed in the playoffs. They payed the price in 2020 for going all out the year before with almost no available cap, fielded a crap-ass team, and didn't even make the playoffs. This year that had tons of cap to improve the team and somehow you think he is pissed because that available money was used to upgrade the team???????

Also, fuck Babooshka if he's truly bitching out BB...Babooshka never ever fucked up before? LMAO...he's a schmuck. He absolutely lucked out on BB.

If this were the Jets or Dolphins....
....you'd be bitching like hell, complaining that the Jets and Dolphins were both signing free agents and improving their teams and Bill Belichick was sitting on $72 million in cap space and being an idiot because he wasn't signing TEs, WRs, run-stuffing DLs, etc etc etc.

Most likely this offseason will not result in an overall positive gain for the Patriots. You don't build a team through free agency;
You don't think the team has improved by signing those FAs? You don't think that losing Matt Lacosse and Ryan Izzo and replacing them with Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith is not an improvement???????

You don't think the fact that Gunner Olzewski and Damiere Byrd won't take the field this year at WR and Agholor and Bourne will, will make a bit of difference?///

That the addition of two quality run stuffers won't help a defense that couldn't stop the run last year????

IMO you build a team by signing free agents to fill as many holes as possible before the draft and then you are free to use the draft to grab the best players available.

Or you could do as you prefer and not sign the two top-rated FA TEs or any other free agents and just sit on the most cap space Kraft has ever had because signing top available free agents never improves a team.

....you'd be bitching like hell, complaining that the Jets and Dolphins were both signing free agents and improving their teams and Bill Belichick was sitting on $72 million in cap space and being an idiot because he wasn't signing TEs, WRs, run-stuffing DLs, etc etc etc.

You don't think the team has improved by signing those FAs? You don't think that losing Matt Lacosse and Ryan Izzo and replacing them with Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith is not an improvement???????

You don't think the fact that Gunner Olzewski and Damiere Byrd won't take the field this year at WR and Agholor and Bourne will, will make a bit of difference?///

That the addition of two quality run stuffers won't help a defense that couldn't stop the run last year????

IMO you build a team by signing free agents to fill as many holes as possible before the draft and then you are free to use the draft to grab the best players available.

Or you could do as you prefer and not sign the two top-rated FA TEs or any other free agents and just sit on the most cap space Kraft has ever had because signing top available free agents never improves a team.
I agree with your points - free agency is one of the tools a good GM uses in the off-season to help improve a roster.

I think 2001 showed that Belichick could use free agency effectively to help build a team - it's the gold standard that other GMs look at as how money can be well-spent during the free agency period.

Mike Vrabel, Antowain Smith, Bryan Cox, Roman Phifer, Larry Izzo, Anthony Pleasant, Mark Edwards and David Patten were all key pieces of that team that were added via free agency. (Otis Smith and Joe Andruzzi were free agents Belichick added the previous year.)

Hitting on both Richard Seymour and Matt Light in the 2001 draft was also a key. And I think there was a guy from the year 2000 draft that came off the bench and did his job.

Last edited:
I agree with your points - free agency is one of the tools a good GM uses in the off-season to help improve a roster.

I think 2001 showed that Belichick could use free agency effectively to help build a team - it's the gold standard that other GMs look at as how money can be well-spent during the free agency period.

Mike Vrabel, Antowain Smith, Bryan Cox, Roman Phifer, Larry Izzo, Anthony Pleasant, Mark Edwards and David Patten were all key pieces of that team that were added via free agency. (Otis Smith and Joe Andruzzi were free agents Belichick added the previous year.)

Hitting on both Richard Seymour and Matt Light in the 2001 draft was also a key. And I think there was a guy from the year 2000 draft that came off the bench and did his job.
Patrick Pass?

Back