Looking at the Patriots - 2021

What you folks are forgetting that, as bad as Cam seemed last year, JimmyG graded out worse.
No, I am not forgetting it. I am just placing less importance on it that others. BB believed he was the future based on his ability to run the O. Can has NEVER run an offense as complex as the Patriots. Quick reads and quick throws are not what Cam brings to the table. Cam is not as well suited to run the COMPLETE O. In fact, I doubt he can.

Edit: I added the word "COMPLETE"

Last edited:
No, I am not forgetting it. I am just placing less importance on it that others. BB believed he was the future based on his ability to run the O. Can has NEVER run an offense as complex as the Patriots. Quick reads and quick throws are not what Cam brings to the table. Cam is not as well suited to run the O. In fact, I doubt he can.

Jimmy has been a few years out of the system. Shannahan runs a different system, so even if there was all this familiarity he would still need to adapt. He might be much better suited in the long run, but Cam was introduced to it last year, and should be studying the playbook. Also more weapons, TC, OTAs etc etc. I honestly don't see how JG would be a huge upgrade from Cam especially when you add in the price and the injury concern.

Despite all the issues and shortcomings, Cam was able to get 7 wins here. I don't think it's completely out of this world for Pats to win 11-12 games with Cam at the helm with the upgrades and more time in the system. Is JG going to be that much better than that? I doubt it. If he's not able to guarantee more wins, what's the point of paying such a premium to have him? Regardless of how Cam performs, he came really cheap. So whatever performance he puts up, if it's not up to snuff, he will be easy to get rid of. I can't say the same about JG.

Jimmy has been a few years out of the system. Shannahan runs a different system, so even if there was all this familiarity he would still need to adapt. He might be much better suited in the long run, but Cam was introduced to it last year, and should be studying the playbook. Also more weapons, TC, OTAs etc etc. I honestly don't see how JG would be a huge upgrade from Cam especially when you add in the price and the injury concern.

Despite all the issues and shortcomings, Cam was able to get 7 wins here. I don't think it's completely out of this world for Pats to win 11-12 games with Cam at the helm with the upgrades and more time in the system. Is JG going to be that much better than that? I doubt it. If he's not able to guarantee more wins, what's the point of paying such a premium to have him? Regardless of how Cam performs, he came really cheap. So whatever performance he puts up, if it's not up to snuff, he will be easy to get rid of. I can't say the same about JG.
BB was able to get 7 wins with a very limited playbook and QB.

Imagine what he can with a full playbook and QB capable of running it.

I am not advocating that JG is the best option. I am saying that compared to Cam he is.

No, I am not forgetting it. I am just placing less importance on it that others. BB believed he was the future based on his ability to run the O. Can has NEVER run an offense as complex as the Patriots. Quick reads and quick throws are not what Cam brings to the table. Cam is not as well suited to run the COMPLETE O. In fact, I doubt he can.

Edit: I added the word "COMPLETE"

JG has a no-trade clause.
In what world is he going to say, “Know what? I’m going to ask to get traded and take a HUGE pay cut.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

for me it is, how many more wins can they get w/c.n. and new weapons and better defense while bringing a rookie along vs. jg with his potential to get hurt and his high contract. when i look at the TOTAL package, i'd rather the former. now, if the pats don't see a qb they like this year, and they think jg could be around for 7-8 years, maybe that changes things.

In what world is he going to say, “Know what? I’m going to ask to get traded and take a HUGE pay cut.”

He does. 2 years left?

He is 29 and being shopped around. He is playing for the NEXT contract. Just talking out loud.

His alternative to a trade is to be released. His dead cap is minimal.

BB was able to get 7 wins with a very limited playbook and QB.

Imagine what he can with a full playbook and QB capable of running it.

I am not advocating that JG is the best option. I am saying that compared to Cam he is.

That was my point. If BB can get 7 wins with such a poor roster, I think 11-12 wins is realistic for the upcoming season with Cam. I don't know about Jimmy considering how injury prone he is. Maybe he can do better, but he can also do worse. If you can potentially win games without wasting away a pick and putting yourself in cap hell for a "hopeful" QB, you take that in my opinion.

That was my point. If BB can get 7 wins with such a poor roster, I think 11-12 wins is realistic for the upcoming season with Cam. I don't know about Jimmy considering how injury prone he is. Maybe he can do better, but he can also do worse. If you can potentially win games without wasting away a pick and putting yourself in cap hell for a "hopeful" QB, you take that in my opinion.
One year at 25 is not "cap hell".

If I'm forced to pick Jimmy v Cam I'll take Jimmy, if he gets hurt we're in the same boat we'd be in going with Cam.

Jimmy v Mac Jones is a much harder question to answer
Best scenario is Jimmy + Mac Jones.

Jimmy plays well next season and stays on the field then great. If not we may have the QB of teh future to step in.

Considering it's BB coaching I think it would be a pretty big disappointment if the team doesn't improve from last year, but fair point.

Back