Looking at the Patriots - 2021

Bill is not really the "determine your own fate" type of GM. LOL. That being said, maybe he sees value in Edelman being on a pitch count throughout the season so he keeps him on the team situationally. We did sign some guys that fill Edelman's spot so I can also see Bill releasing him too.

I disagree. Edelman has been just as special a player as Troy Brown & Kevin Faulk were. They'll confer and if Edelman thinks he can go, BB will keep him around for his leadership if nothing else.

Nobody thinks that BB has let players determine their own fate before. Many times he has let players go decide their own fate in free agency, find out their value, just to come back. Releasing players early in training camp in order to have the best shot of catching on elsewhere. I heard rumors earlier this offseason on this board that the Cannon trade was done in part to do a solid to Cannon.

j
I disagree. Edelman has been just as special a player as Troy Brown & Kevin Faulk were. They'll confer and if Edelman thinks he can go, BB will keep him around for his leadership if nothing else.

I completely agree.

Jules is not the average 34 year-old. His workout routines are extreme and it shows on the field. Last season he had his biggest statistical game ever with Cam and he was still able to get open before his knee went.

Nobody should underestimate Julian Edelman. The guy has the heart of a lion and I am very hopeful that he is good to go for us and can finish his career the way it rightly should be-- as a Patriot and a great football player. .

He's a leader, loves it here and has shown no desire to skip town to be with his bestie. Why people are writing him off like he's all done is a mystery to me. He's the kind of guy you make a space for.

He's a leader, loves it here and has shown no desire to skip town to be with his bestie. Why people are writing him off like he's all done is a mystery to me. He's the kind of guy you make a space for.
No one is writing him off. He said during the off-season that he did not know if his knee would allow him to play. Now a report is confirming that. I think he may still stay as a situational player but probably at a reduced salary.

j

I completely agree.

Jules is not the average 34 year-old. His workout routines are extreme and it shows on the field. Last season he had his biggest statistical game ever with Cam and he was still able to get open before his knee went.

Nobody should underestimate Julian Edelman. The guy has the heart of a lion and I am very hopeful that he is good to go for us and can finish his career the way it rightly should be-- as a Patriot and a great football player. .

Some people just don't understand BB - he is loyal to a fault for players who give their heart and soul to the team. Edelman has done that from day 1.

No one is writing him off. He said during the off-season that he did not know if his knee would allow him to play. Now a report is confirming that. I think he may still stay as a situational player but probably at a reduced salary.

Actually, I think that a lot of people are writing him off. I hear and read stuff like that all the time. He's too old, he's lost a step, he's hurt, he misses his buddy...... My estimate is that more people feel that way than not and I mean not just here. Julian gets less respect in general from Patriot Nation than his track record deserves, in my opinion. I'm not planning on doubting him for any reason until he tell us he cannot play, which hasn't happened yet.

For Tom House talking about Cam start at 20 mins into it.
I've been told Cam's foot injury hampered him more last year than his shoulder although his shoulder was still an issue. Tom House says exactly that. Cam tried to throw the ball off his back foot bc every time he stepped into a throw he felt like someone was hammering his foot. "It was a perfect storm in the wrong direction for Cam." His mechanics weren't right for his shoulder injury when he suffered his foot fracture which prevented him from working on his mechanics. House thinks Cam did pretty well since he was working with "80% efficient mechanics". He thinks Cam will look a lot better now that his foot allows him to work on his mechanics. "He'll be better this year." The Patriots have the coaches to help him develop his new mechanics for his shoulder and foot which doesn't seem to be bothering now.

Once off Cam, House says some nice things about Stidham. He thinks Stidham's mechanics are great, he's smart, all he needs is more snaps under pressure in camp and then in games.

House then says "Thinking is inversely proportionate to the stimulus of the environment."

Iow, if you have to think about the play you're running, your decisions to act will be delayed and that delay is costly in the NFL. That's what Stidham and Cam are both working through. We talked about that hurting Cam last year especially after he came back from COVID. Players who can play without thinking get into that zone and everything seems to come together just right.

Thanks for posting, BSF. Good podcast coming from Tom E.

Actually, I think that a lot of people are writing him off. I hear and read stuff like that all the time. He's too old, he's lost a step, he's hurt, he misses his buddy...... My estimate is that more people feel that way than not and I mean not just here. Julian gets less respect in general from Patriot Nation than his track record deserves, in my opinion. I'm not planning on doubting him for any reason until he tell us he cannot play, which hasn't happened yet.
I think Julian is tough as nails. He is my favorite Patriot of all time after Brady. But his knee injury from all descriptions is horrible. Bone on bone. Surgery won't correct it. That has nothing to do with his toughness or grit or heart. His body is simply hurt beyond repair. I still want to see him suit up though this year. Plus, he likes it when people doubt him. Motivates him more.

I've been told Cam's foot injury hampered him more last year than his shoulder although his shoulder was still an issue. Tom House says exactly that. Cam tried to throw the ball off his back foot bc every time he stepped into a throw he felt like someone was hammering his foot. "It was a perfect storm in the wrong direction for Cam." His mechanics weren't right for his shoulder injury when he suffered his foot fracture which prevented him from working on his mechanics. House thinks Cam did pretty well since he was working with "80% efficient mechanics". He thinks Cam will look a lot better now that his foot allows him to work on his mechanics. "He'll be better this year." The Patriots have the coaches to help him develop his new mechanics for his shoulder and foot which doesn't seem to be bothering now.

Once off Cam, House says some nice things about Stidham. He thinks Stidham's mechanics are great, he's smart, all he needs is more snaps under pressure in camp and then in games.

House then says "Thinking is inversely proportionate to the stimulus of the environment."

Iow, if you have to think about the play you're running, your decisions to act will be delayed and that delay is costly in the NFL. That's what Stidham and Cam are both working through. We talked about that hurting Cam last year especially after he came back from COVID. Players who can play without thinking get into that zone and everything seems to come together just right.

Thanks Chevss this is good stuff. Still makes me scratch my head at why Bill resigned him. He has two terrible injuries for a mobile QB - his throwing shoulder and his foot. Whose to say those injuries won't flare up again? Ugh. I guess we just hope for the best. Perhaps having a more normal off-season will give us an indication if he can go the full season at full health.

I think Julian is tough as nails. He is my favorite Patriot of all time after Brady. But his knee injury from all descriptions is horrible. Bone on bone. Surgery won't correct it. That has nothing to do with his toughness or grit or heart. His body is simply hurt beyond repair. I still want to see him suit up though this year. Plus, he likes it when people doubt him. Motivates him more.

So......if it's that bad then why hasn't Jules just retired?

He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would leave everybody hanging if he knew he was done. You know--- waiting for Training Camp so he could get more buzz or until a roster/workout bonus kicks in or whatever else is in his contract.

So......if it's that bad then why hasn't Jules just retired?

He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would leave everybody hanging if he knew he was done. You know--- waiting for Training Camp so he could get more buzz or until a roster/workout bonus kicks in or whatever else is in his contract.
The report may be the first domino to fall in his retirement. I hope not but I have a feeling it is coming.

So do we think that Stidham is in play for the future?

I hope this kid pans out.

Why isn't Cam working with House now?

Why isn't Cam working with House now?

I don't know how active Tom House is now. Stidham has been working with Jordan Palmer in California. Palmer also worked with Josh Allen last year and did yeoman's work with him.
Palmer has worked with other QBs like Mahomes, Deshaun Watson and Joe Burrow. Trevor Lawrence is another.
He has other QBs he works with in private without divulging names.

Here's an article of how Palmer viewed Stidham last year.

I don't know how active Tom House is now. Stidham has been working with Jordan Palmer in California. Palmer also worked with Josh Allen last year and did yeoman's work with him.
Palmer has worked with other QBs like Mahomes, Deshaun Watson and Joe Burrow. Trevor Lawrence is another.
He has other QBs he works with in private without divulging names.

Here's an article of how Palmer viewed Stidham last year.

Good stuff. Thanks. It seems like everyone is high on Stidham. I really hope he gets a chance this year.

Back