Looking at the Patriots - 2021

Training camp is right around the corner and Mac Jones is the future at QB, but the present may still belong to Cam Newton. Read on in our QB Primer on PatsFans.com

I'm thinking/ hoping that Mac is as good as Chad Pennington. The version prior to the injuries and with a good arm. Strikes me as if he has similar build/ size.

We going to have an over/ under bet on when Mac starts?

I'm thinking/ hoping that Mac is as good as Chad Pennington. The version prior to the injuries and with a good arm. Strikes me as if he has similar build/ size.

We going to have an over/ under bet on when Mac starts?
We could. We would need a pole.

I'll give a spiffy and priceless profile trophy to those who make the right prediction week.

Surely something to brag about.

Upgrading our depth at TE.

The Patriots announced Friday they have signed tight end David Wells.
Wells, 26, worked out for the team along with defensive back Brian Cole and center Spencer Pulley.

Wells joins Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene, Matt LaCosse, Troy Fumagalli and hybrid linebacker Rashod Berry in the tight ends room.
Wells spent a week on the New England practice squad last season, signing Nov. 10. He originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with the Cowboys on May 11, 2018, out of San Diego State. Dallas released Wells at the end of training camp, and he spent most of 2018 on the Chiefs’ practice squad. Wells went to training camp with Kansas City in 2019 but was injured during training camp and spent the season on injured reserve.

The retirement of safety Patrick Chung became official.

WR Davante Adams may be up for grabs as contract talks have broken off with GB. I'd love him on the Pats but realize he's too expensive for BB. sigh

FYI...the team season highlights we didn't get to see for 2019 are back. pats 2020 season scheduled on nfln sunday jul 25 at 2 pm eastern. that's what the guide says, anyway. it's been known to be wrong for those sometimes.

WR Davante Adams may be up for grabs as contract talks have broken off with GB. I'd love him on the Pats but realize he's too expensive for BB. sigh
Why? Jones is on his rookie contract. This is the time to SPEND on elite talent especially at the skill spots to help Jones.

In early September we will finally see what BB thinks of Stidham. Right now I'm thinking three.

I'm thinking 2.
3 only if Stidham shows improvement.
Stidham may as well go to the PS if he doesn't show out in camp.
Hoyer can go on speed dial.

Why? Jones is on his rookie contract. This is the time to SPEND on elite talent especially at the skill spots to help Jones.

You've followed BB for a long time and you're still asking "why?"?

You've followed BB for a long time and you're still asking "why?"?
It was rheortical. When I mention his philosophy has become a liability this is what I mean.

It was rheortical. When I mention his philosophy has become a liability this is what I mean.

Yeah, I don't think it has by any stretch of the imagination, it constantly evolves.

Last edited:

Training Camp Primer – Linebackers/Edge

The Patriots’ front seven took a huge step back last year, the run defense especially was gashed badly. Earlier this week we took at the defensive line, and now we will look at the linebackers and edge players, who were also a disappointment.

Part of the reason was the loss of so much depth. Jamie Collins, Kyle Van Noy, and Elandon Roberts were all gone by the early spring. Compounding matters further was the opting out of Dont’a Hightower. That was the vast majority of the snaps in 2019, so…as a result, Bill Belichick had to do what he rarely does. He went with a lineup heavy on youth and inexperience. And the results spoke for themselves.

But if there was a silver lining, the young players got a lot more experience than they normally would have experienced. And much like the defensive line, the linebacker edge position has been retooled and reloaded. Van Noy returns after a year’s absence in Miami. Hightower returns after a year’s hiatus due to COVID-19. The team brought in Matthew Judon, Raekwon McMillan, and Harvey Langi in free agency. Then added Ronnie Perkins and Cameron McGrone in the draft.

Are you nuts? Deandre Hopkins just got a $27 mil per YEAR extension from the Cards. Adams is the best WR in the NFL. He isn't going to take less than Hopkins just got paid.

How can you say that not spending $54 over the next two years, guaranteeing $50 mil (Hopkins) is a liabilty in a coach.

Spend money in a way that most improves a team is not a liability. Spending money just because you have it is just stupid. That's the liability mindset. Plus we don't have money available to sign Adams, so you want us to borrow from next year after already spending over a quarter of a billion dollars this year?

You don't like BB. I get it. But holy crap, some of the things you come up with trying to convince people he isn't a good coach and is a libility...words fail me.

Are you nuts? Deandre Hopkins just got a $27 mil per YEAR extension from the Cards. Adams is the best WR in the NFL. He isn't going to take less than Hopkins just got paid.

How can you say that not spending $54 over the next two years, guaranteeing $50 mil (Hopkins) is a liabilty in a coach.

Spend money in a way that most improves a team is not a liability. Spending money just because you have it is just stupid. That's the liability mindset. Plus we don't have money available to sign Adams, so you want us to borrow from next year after already spending over a quarter of a billion dollars this year?

You don't like BB. I get it. But holy crap, some of the things you come up with trying to convince people he isn't a good coach and is a libility...words fail me.

Even after following BB for 10 or more years she still doesn't understand how he works or how the cap works.
Put simply:
1. BB would much rather have 2 WRs at $10M/ than 1 WR at $20M. He's always been that way and it's worked pretty damn well. BB likes depth over stars.
2. GMs have to think 2-3 years ahead and next year, 2022, the Pats already have over $200M of the cap under contract. There's no money for Adams without doing back flips and cutting some contracts. Then you have worry about dead cap and BB hates dead cap space.

Back