Looking at the Patriots - 2021

For what it's worth I partially agree with you. While Hoyer works really well as the informative back up that can help Mac in his development, that's about it for his upside. If for any reason Mac goes down and Hoyer goes in we're screwed. Maybe having Cam on speed dial would be an option if that were the case, but ultimately we're all pinning our hopes that Mac is able to stay healthy all year otherwise any expectations need to be halted.
This

So was Danny Orlovsky and he won the state championship doesn’t make him a great QB.... those who do can those who teach .....
Im not saying Teachers can’t so stop with the PC correct stuff its just a very different skill set ....

~Dee~

IMO, I wish we would have traded for Minshew.

I would have approved a trade to get Minshew. The guy is a gamer with some skills and he held up pretty well in Jacksonville despite playing for a bad team. It'd be interesting to see how he'd do if he had some protection and a running game, for a change.

All he cost Philly is a conditional 5th or 6th. That's going to look like a bargain if we have to watch Hoyer take snaps

I don’t get the Hoyer thing anymore. When he had a snowballs chance in hell of winning a game I got it. Good mentor, good understanding of the system, we could joke about how he’s better at hitting trash cans from 45 yards out than Brady.

Now? If he plays more than a quarter the team he’s on is going to lose the game. Ok, so he’s a good coach in the QB room. Don’t they pay a coaching staff for that? Why not hire him as an assistant quarterbacks coach? It’s not even his cap hit, but why have a player taking up a roster spot who’s going to guarantee a loss if they get on the field?
I know, I know, he knows the system……… but again, what are the coaches there for?
Agreed. Hire him as a coach and get a real backup.

I don’t get the Hoyer thing anymore. When he had a snowballs chance in hell of winning a game I got it. Good mentor, good understanding of the system, we could joke about how he’s better at hitting trash cans from 45 yards out than Brady.

Now? If he plays more than a quarter the team he’s on is going to lose the game. Ok, so he’s a good coach in the QB room. Don’t they pay a coaching staff for that? Why not hire him as an assistant quarterbacks coach? It’s not even his cap hit, but why have a player taking up a roster spot who’s going to guarantee a loss if they get on the field?
I know, I know, he knows the system……… but again, what are the coaches there for?
Pretend the GM ISN'T BB.

Now, does it suddenly makes sense and you agree with it?

Good. You're welcome.

For what it's worth I partially agree with you. While Hoyer works really well as the informative back up that can help Mac in his development, that's about it for his upside. If for any reason Mac goes down and Hoyer goes in we're screwed. Maybe having Cam on speed dial would be an option if that were the case, but ultimately we're all pinning our hopes that Mac is able to stay healthy all year otherwise any expectations need to be halted.
I'd rather have Hoyer than Cam.

Are there other backup QBs out there that are any good at the moment? Are there any backup QBs that grasp the system as Hoyer apparently does? Helping Jones is important at this juncture, but who else would you choose for that job?
something something something Colin Kaepernick :coffee:

For what it's worth, I'm all about having a different QB in as backup, if there's one available on the cheap whose positives outweigh their negatives. You do need Someone to dress up who can take over for a drive or a quarter if need be, and I don't know who you could pick up on the cheap right now who would actually fill that role well, but I'm all for it if an option is available. Keep in mind that Stidham actively lost that spot to Hoyer, and the Blake Bortles of the world are likely no better than either of them, so it's not like we're the only team out there in a bind if our starting QB goes down. But yes, the current backup QB situation is not ideal.

something something something Colin Kaepernick :coffee:

For what it's worth, I'm all about having a different QB in as backup, if there's one available on the cheap whose positives outweigh their negatives. You do need Someone to dress up who can take over for a drive or a quarter if need be, and I don't know who you could pick up on the cheap right now who would actually fill that role well, but I'm all for it if an option is available. Keep in mind that Stidham actively lost that spot to Hoyer, and the Blake Bortles of the world are likely no better than either of them, so it's not like we're the only team out there in a bind if our starting QB goes down. But yes, the current backup QB situation is not ideal.
I wouldn't so much as think about Colin Kaepernick.

Backup QB is an interesting position. The less they do, the better they are perceived to be. Hopefully we think Hoyer is great by season's end.
Scott Zolak? lol The second most famous Back up QB in Patriots history. Brady is the first..lol

Scott Zolak? lol The second most famous Back up QB in Patriots history. Brady is the first..lol
Michael Bishop?

Actually, I can think of 3 backup Patriots QBs in the 80s that are more famous: Grogan (when Eason was starting), Eason (when Grogan was starting)...and Doug Flutie.

Back