Looking at the Patriots - 2021

Our D is ranked 5th in points scored and I think they can and will play even better.

FBgtbmkXIAU5gBJ
Yards don't win games, points do. Points allowed we are doing well. But BB's defenses have always given up a lot of yards and fewer points. I still want to see us stop the damn run though..lol

I do remember in 2003 or 2004 we faced the Colts in the AFCCG, James put up 125 yards rushing or something like that. It turns out, that was by design, Manning and his receivers were the more dangerous weapons so allowing the Colts ro run on us, kept the ball out of the air. I'm pretty sure that was the game we won 20-3.

Poor Revis. He won a SB but the pressure and the grind were too much for him for that 1 year. :crying:

View: https://twitter.com/TheGoodLife_32/status/1447909421451984897

"A lot of different philosophies to winning, there's 32 teams and 32 coaches"

And none of them have had the success this Organization has had for the past 20 years.

Revis was awesome for 4 or 5 years, the best in the game. Sorry, dude, you're wrong on that "A lot of different philosophies to winning, there's 32 teams and 32 coaches".

Yards don't win games, points do. Points allowed we are doing well. But BB's defenses have always given up a lot of yards and fewer points. I still want to see us stop the damn run though..lol

I do remember in 2003 or 2004 we faced the Colts in the AFCCG, James put up 125 yards rushing or something like that. It turns out, that was by design, Manning and his receivers were the more dangerous weapons so allowing the Colts ro run on us, kept the ball out of the air. I'm pretty sure that was the game we won 20-3.
I'm pretty certain that's what happened against Tampa, too. And it would have worked but for a few painful unforced errors. That's the kind of gameplan that works well with a highly disciplined team with near-perfect execution. Give up yards, take away their top big play options at the expense of giving up the run, collapse in the red zone, force them to play patient and flawless football, pounce when they slip up, and see if they can beat you with FGs.

I don't think this week is the week to do that, though. I don't think there's a clear #1 option to take away such that it would provide a benefit worth allowing yourself to get gashed. This strikes me as much more of a game where you mix up your looks, make changes at and after the snap, force Dak to make the right reads all day long, and enough of a pass rush to not give him all day to do it. And to do that, you'll need to not let them lean on the run.

You might be able to use Dak's ego and impatience against him, tempting him into going for the big play when the door isn't actually open. But I wouldn't count on that.

This will be a great test for our defense, which is definitely still gelling. Some of the good statistical rankings come from playing 3 bad offenses.

EDIT: All that said, this also smells like one of those games where Belichick undresses and exposes a chic high-flying offense.

...except that I'm not sure our D is ready in terms of personnel or cohesion to do that yet. If we Dallas a second time in December or later, I'd feel better about it.

"A lot of different philosophies to winning, there's 32 teams and 32 coaches"

And none of them have had the success this Organization has had for the past 20 years.

Revis was awesome for 4 or 5 years, the best in the game. Sorry, dude, you're wrong on that "A lot of different philosophies to winning, there's 32 teams and 32 coaches".
It's weird isn't it? The idea is to win. Not "have a good time" and maybe back into possibly winning by accident. That attitude is just permeating that generation, too. Lots of whining and unwillingness to see something through. How many people go to work to "have a good time"? Ugh.

That's what I loved so much about Edelman. He comes off a lot closer to GenX's style of hard work and determination than his own generation. I realize that's a generalization, but when I hear comments like Revis's that's all I can think of.

There's also a huge different between sustaining to build a dynasty and just winning 1 SB. He's wrong. There's not really "other ways" of doing it, because no other franchise has ever come close in the cap era except for Denver and they actually cheated with the cap in 1995, 1996, 1997.

I love how he throws in Spygate and Deflategate in there, too. It's like, dude, you were there on the team when Goodell and his shenanigans where happening and you were a Jet, too. What an ungrateful turd.

Last edited:
Using Vegas point spreads to determine power ranking of all 32 teams as Vegas sees them.

Pats come in at 22nd, tied with the Colts, and most power rankings have the Pats ranked 19th-23rd currently. This changes weekly.
I don't think the Steelers belong as high as they are.
Point differentials are used by pro gamblers to determine good bets. So Cowboys (3.5) vs Pats (-2) = Cowboys should be 5.5 pt favorites in a neutral stadium.

View: https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1447966662553133056

Poor Revis. He won a SB but the pressure and the grind were too much for him for that 1 year. :crying:

View: https://twitter.com/TheGoodLife_32/status/1447909421451984897

Knowing the kind of player Revis was throughout his career, I have no problem with any of this really.

Of course he didn't like it here. He wasn't being paid at the top of the market, had to come in and work hard every single day without fail. He didn't get his ass kissed by the coaches, media, or even the fans. And he was about the 12th most popular player on that team.

Revis was never about being a small fish in the ocean, but a giant fish in a cesspool.

Dude gave us like 14 good games. I won't ever take that away from him. He was actually more complimentary to the Patriots org than I expected. :coffee:

Didn't Welker hit free agency the year Edelman took over? I am sure Edelman was a major factor in the decision to let Welker walk though, no doubt.
That and the fact BB added Amendola and put the money into two bodies vs 1 aging one who was on the back 9. BB took all kinds of heat for that then, too, if you remember. Another example of our knee jerk fanbase mocking BB the GM and then looking completely foolish on the back end.

Edelman/Amendola>>>Welker

That and the fact BB added Amendola and put the money into two bodies vs 1 aging one who was on the back 9. BB took all kinds of heat for that then, too, if you remember. Another example of our knee jerk fanbase mocking BB the GM and then looking completely foolish on the back end.

Edelman/Amendola>>>Welker
Agreed, I would say the decision to replace Welker with Edelman alone was a good one.

Didn't Welker hit free agency the year Edelman took over? I am sure Edelman was a major factor in the decision to let Welker walk though, no doubt.
Yes and no. First two games of 2011, Edelman was starting over Welker before he got hurt.

So this old guy is not that bad...

I think it's odd these kickers make these 50+ yarders and then go out there and botch a PAT. Not trying to be critical of Folk, but it appears to be a modern football phenomenon. It's all over the league.

I think it's odd these kickers make these 50+ yarders and then go out there and botch a PAT. Not trying to be critical of Folk, but it appears to be a modern football phenomenon. It's all over the league.
Kick or go for two?

Debate closed - Go for two.

I agree with others above. I think the Defense is really good and will get better. I would like to see them get off the field on 3rd down. There have been a lot of times that they make a nice stop on 3rd down but it is negated by a penalty.

Back