Looking at the Patriots - 2021

I agree with others above. I think the Defense is really good and will get better. I would like to see them get off the field on 3rd down. There have been a lot of times that they make a nice stop on 3rd down but it is negated by a penalty.
I think with the way they came back to win the game, even in ugly fashion, it could go a long way to them improving because they can see how their self inflicted wounds lead to losses or almost losses, when in reality, those are wins. They just are. They've thrown games away and even in the NOs game as subpar as that was, they were within a TD in the 4th qtr.

I fully expect a quality 60 min game on Sunday.

I think with the way they came back to win the game, even in ugly fashion, it could go a long way to them improving because they can see how their self inflicted wounds lead to losses or almost losses, when in reality, those are wins. They just are. They've thrown games away and even in the NOs game as subpar as that was, they were within a TD in the 4th qtr.

I fully expect a quality 60 min game on Sunday.

I hope so. These next 4 weeks may tell us who this team really is - Cowboys, Chargers, Panthers & Browns. 2-7 is a real possibility unless lessons get learned quickly.

I hope so. These next 4 weeks may tell us who this team really is - Cowboys, Chargers, Panthers & Browns. 2-7 is a real possibility unless lessons get learned quickly.
2-7?

Yikes.

I am seeing 4-3 in 2 weeks. I am not sure where 2-7 is coming from. Chargers will be tough, certainly more so than last year even though our QB is way better. It's good we get the Browns at home as that will certainly be tough. Not sure what the handwringing might be with Carolina. They're not very good and honestly I don't know how Dallas struggled so much with them.

Last edited:
2-7?

Yikes.

I am seeing 4-3 in 2 weeks. I am not sure where 2-7 is coming from. Chargers will be tough and it's good we get the Browns at home. Not sure what the handwringing might be with Carolina. They're not very good and honestly I don't know Dallas struggled so much with them.
Why do you feel Carolina isn't good? I've only seen a bit of a couple of games, which is not like me. I tend to watch them all. So, I have nothing to agree or disagree on atm.

I'm hopefully optimistic that Pats will at least split, but Pats better right that OL ship come the game against the Browns. Their DL is terrifying.

Why do you feel Carolina isn't good? I've only seen a bit of a couple of games, which is not like me. I tend to watch them all. So, I have nothing to agree or disagree on atm.
They lack talent. Sam Darnold is their QB. They're rebuilding and are behind us. The McCaffrey contract is a classic albatross.

I'm hopefully optimistic that Pats will at least split, but Pats better right that OL ship come the game against the Browns. Their DL is terrifying.
Did you see LA drop 40 on them? If I am in week 5 and my D is allowing 30-40 points per game, I am concerned.

I'm not willing to simply assume that this team will "start playing Patriots Football" anymore. The self-inflicted wounds, brain cramps, etc. could be who this team is after so much turnover and such a brain drain of the assistant coaches.

BUT

I'm not counting on that. They could absolutely be doing their classic thing where they look like they're falling to pieces in the first quarter of the year, then go on a run. They could definitely lose all 4 of those upcoming tough games, but I think that's unlikely. They could certainly go on a run and win all of them, too. I also think that's unlikely. I'm living the suspense, and watching it all unfold.

I will say that if they beat Dallas, they should get some confidence and momentum going, then roll through the Jest the following week. In that case, there's a very legitimate chance that they go into week 10 (hosting Cleveland) at 6-3. Standing between the Jets game and the Cleveland game is a road trip to LA and Carolina. The Chargers are excellent and the Panthers aren't terrible, but I think both are good matchups for the Patriots.

They lack talent. Sam Darnold is their QB. They're rebuilding and are behind us. The McCaffrey contract is a classic albatross.
It is, the contract. They also need to not rely on him as heavily as they did the last few years. With that contract placed on him I get why they would think so, not to mention he is pretty good. But they didn't have a choice recently to not use him . He is a beast but the beast can only last for so long hench the injuries.

I am not going to ding their QB, yet. As for their talent, I will go back and watch some games and see what's going on.

Did you see LA drop 40 on them? If I am in week 5 and my D is allowing 30-40 points per game, I am concerned.

The Chargers are a playoff caliber team. Sure the defense was woeful, but it wasn't like they got blown out. It was a wide open game, sometimes there are games like this. That said, I don't think Pats can afford to get into a shootout right now.

It is, the contract. They also need to not rely on him as heavily as they did the last few years. With that contract placed on him I get why they would think so, not to mention he is pretty good. But they didn't have a choice recently to not use him . He is a beast but the beast can only last for so long hench the injuries.

I am not going to ding their QB, yet. As for their talent, I will go back and watch some games and see what's going on.
Yeah, I just wouldn't draft a scatback body in the top 10 of a draft. I mean, anyone could have predicted with over-use he'd get hurt and the contract is just so dumb. It will hurt them for years.

Thompson and Chinn are good on their D, but I am not seeing much else to be honest. Certainly Anderson and Moore are good WRs. And, it's early for Darnold. The more film on him with Rhule, the more patterns that will be developed with Darnold's tendencies there. I am not buying him just because he changed teams.

Last edited:
Anybody interested in playing the Jest's again? Maybe this month? At Gillette?

You know, just for fun.

:coffee:

Yards don't win games, points do. Points allowed we are doing well. But BB's defenses have always given up a lot of yards and fewer points. I still want to see us stop the damn run though..lol

I do remember in 2003 or 2004 we faced the Colts in the AFCCG, James put up 125 yards rushing or something like that. It turns out, that was by design, Manning and his receivers were the more dangerous weapons so allowing the Colts ro run on us, kept the ball out of the air. I'm pretty sure that was the game we won 20-3.
If your defense can limit all stats AND points...that's where the greatest defenses of all time are at. But, teams have different strategies...BB's defenses are usually bend but don't break. Tighten up in the redzone. As long as they can eat the clock, but, limit the points.

If your defense can limit all stats AND points...that's where the greatest defenses of all time are at. But, teams have different strategies...BB's defenses are usually bend but don't break. Tighten up in the redzone. As long as they can eat the clock, but, limit the points.
Exactly, I still wouldn't mind seeing us shut down a team completely though..lol

The most double teamed DT in the NFL this year is our own CHRISTIAN BARMORE
Teams have taken notice and are game planning for him already.
FBm4F0zXsAg67HJ

The most double teamed DT in the NFL this year is our own CHRISTIAN BARMORE
Teams have taken notice and are game planning for him already.
FBm4F0zXsAg67HJ

Awesome. It makes sense, because when he is blocked by one player he seems to get off blocks almost effortlessly.

2-7?

Yikes.

I am seeing 4-3 in 2 weeks. I am not sure where 2-7 is coming from. Chargers will be tough, certainly more so than last year even though our QB is way better. It's good we get the Browns at home as that will certainly be tough. Not sure what the handwringing might be with Carolina. They're not very good and honestly I don't know how Dallas struggled so much with them.
The Patriots could realistically lose all of the next four games. They will be underdogs in all of them.

Back