Looking at the Patriots - 2021

1. "Mémère " is the french term used most around here to refer to Grandma. "Pépère" is the Grandpa term. So cool to see it used :)
2. That recipe for the meat stuffing looks so much like our recipe for meat pies up here. We use beef, pork, and whatever wild game we have in the freezer - last couple of years was moose meat.

I'm sure Muse can chime in on this as well as she's very familiar with the acadian cuisine and terms up this way ;)
My memere made meat pies, but hated it as stuffing and used a traditional bread-based stuffing. I agree that it's pretty nasty combined with turkey.

Now, in a fusion for the ages, my mother (full-blooded Italian) swiped Memere's recipe for the stuffing of her meat pies and used it in tortellini. It was transformative. So ridiculously good...

But yeah, like many in New England my grandparents floated down the rivers with the logs. In our case, ending up in New Hampshire.

My memere made meat pies, but hated it as stuffing and used a traditional bread-based stuffing. I agree that it's pretty nasty combined with turkey.

Now, in a fusion for the ages, my mother (full-blooded Italian) swiped Memere's recipe for the stuffing of her meat pies and used it in tortellini. It was transformative. So ridiculously good...
I went the opposite way. Always had bread stuffing, while in the service my dad remarried a french lady and that was the one thing we ended up having in common was the french stuffing.

In my Freshman year, our French club went to France and my mom came with me. Our teacher who actually lived across the border in Canada was our guardian so to speak as well as my mom. It was amazing. If we had had more time we would have looked up some of our relatives who are still living there.

I agree about the food. :)
My grandfather drove a tank under Patton and I have his diary of his travels with this battalion before his being captured, so I'd actually love to do a 3 week vacation some day and drive it. I have much more interest in staying in villages than spending a week in Paris and just doing that.

Last edited:
My grandfather drove a tank under Patton and I have his diary of his travels with this battalion before his being captured, so I'd actually live to do a 3 week vacation some day and drive it. I have much more interest in staying in villages than spending a week in Paris and just doing that.
That is awsome as someone who reads all she can about WW1/2

My family in France don't live in Paris, they live in the country side hence time constraints. I don't regret my time in Paris, I don't consider it as just doing that. It was wonderful and exciting for a 15 year old. LOLOL I enjoyed the monestary, Lovre, Notre Dame before it caught fire,Versailles and more. Nope, enjoyed it. It just would have been better to visit relatives who didn't leave 200 plus years ago and have a very rich history of France.

Yes, I am digressing again. I apologize.

Sorry. I blame someone, just not sure who that someone is. LOL

But yeah, like many in New England my grandparents floated down the rivers with the logs. In our case, ending up in New Hampshire.
We would always have Tourtière at Christmas but they were stuffed with meat, onions etc

What about us poor slobs in out of team markets.

My local team is the NFC (and NFL) basement Lions.

UNFAIR!

Tonight my wife asked me why the Lions are on every Thanksgiving. I told her I'd look it up, but I do know that the amount of Americans that have
fallen asleep on the couch watching the Lions over the years would be a number followed by one hell of a lot of zeros.

I mean, staying in the game on Thanksgiving until halftime or so is their Super Bowl. It's sad, really, but this year we have a chance to pull for the Bills
to lose to the Saints, so.......we've got that going.

Tonight my wife asked me why the Lions are on every Thanksgiving. I told her I'd look it up, but I do know that the amount of Americans that have
fallen asleep on the couch watching the Lions over the years would be a number followed by one hell of a lot of zeros.

I mean, staying in the game on Thanksgiving until halftime or so is their Super Bowl. It's sad, really, but this year we have a chance to pull for the Bills
to lose to the Saints, so.......we've got that going.

I have been to my fair share of Thanksgiving games here in Detroit since coming here in 1991 including a Patriots game a few years back with the wife and the kids. We were blessed for that game to have the Cadillac (GM) games passes (yes, at Ford Field). Always a great time. Almost always a Lions loss.

Always sold out. Seriously, if you saw the Lions faithful you might consider them the best fans in football.

The sorry bastards.

Back