Looking At The Patriots 2022

Could be. I'm just not seeing the chemistry/trust between Parker & Jones. Parker should be a security blanket more than a weapon: if no one is open, put it where Parker has a chance to fight for it. But without a ton of trust, that's not easy for a QB to do.
Parker is the new Harry...waste of a 3rd round pick so far.

At the risk of sounding ridiculous...

Is there too much depth in the offensive skill positions? I mean, being able to absorb the inevitable injuries with quality depth who are basically as good as your starters is great, of course. But until that happens are you hurting the rhythm, explosiveness, and continuity of the offense by not being able to focus snaps and touches with your "top" few guys?

To illustrate, I have Meyers with 100% of offensive snaps yesterday, and Humphrey beating out Bourne. At TE, Smith saw more snaps than Henry, and Stevenson more than Harris at RB. If I had suggested those two weeks ago, all but maybe the last one would have been met with much head scratching and hand-wringing, no?

Or maybe the idea is that the chemistry will develop at different rates, but by the end of the year you've developed a deep well of connections that everyone trusts and feels good about.

I do know that having so many weapons doesn't help that much if the QB locks in on a couple of them. Hopefully the OL can make Mac feel comfortable so he can get back to scanning the field and just going to the open man again.

No such thing as too much depth. Jones wasn't as accurate as he should be. It might be because that he playing hurt.

Too much depth? There is only one ball and only 11 players on the field so yes, barring injuries too much depth could be an issue. Bourne is a prime example but it appears that Belichick has/is handling him perfectly. His snaps went up 10-fold from week 1 and he seems super motivated to perform. Parker is helping with that unfortunately.

I get what you mean BSF. Injuries will happen. Until they do, the players will have to compete and some (maybe) will not handle it well to the detriment of the team. Possibly. Not Bourne though.

Thornton should be ready in a few weeks...hopefully he can get on the field asap.
Sure, but Parker and Thornton are slated to play such different roles that it's almost not the same positions. Like Rod Rutledge vs Aaron Hernandez, or Ted Washington vs Christian Barmore. Yes, they take one another's place on the field, but they're there for entirely different reasons.

Ben Volin is such a dweeb

"Cole Strange may be playing like he could become one of the best guards in the NFL, but that doesn't mean the Patriots didn't blow the pick. " Ben Volin
🙄
Guards are underrated. Or rather, the value of a dominant and flexible guard is underrated - I do think it's a position where you don't suffer as much from a JAG as you do in others.

But if you think Quentin Nelson, Will Shields, or John Hannah is there in the first round, you spend the friggin' pick.

And in this case, remember that the Patriots traded back to get him, then traded back again with the pick they acquired. So for pick 1.21 they got:
  • Cole Strange,
  • Jack Jones,
  • Bailey Zappe, and
  • a 2023 3rd.

Disaster! They blew the pick!

Sure, but Parker and Thornton are slated to play such different roles that it's almost not the same positions. Like Rod Rutledge vs Aaron Hernandez, or Ted Washington vs Christian Barmore. Yes, they take one another's place on the field, but they're there for entirely different reasons.
Yes, but, Thornton will open up more opportunities for the other WR's. It's possible that Parker is doing that now...but...

Parker has been a bust so far. And not entirely on him - many of the balls sent his way have been pretty poor throws/decisions from Mac :(

Parker has a rep of making those contested throws. Mac is learning quickly that he's not as good as his rep.
A WR is supposed to get open. If he can't get open and if he can't make contested throws, why is he out there.

Moar Bourne, please.

while this does seem to be the case, he is also not making the effort i'd like to see to make those plays.

At this point, at least on the two ints, I can't blame him for: The Miami Int he was being interfered with and just couldn't go get the ball.....The one yesterday it was a bad throw/read by Jones

Parker has been a bust so far. And not entirely on him - many of the balls sent his way have been pretty poor throws/decisions from Mac :(
I'm going to put it on Patricia right now. They're forcing backshoulder deep routes every time he's in there. Run that 8-yard slant with him, it's uncoverable.

I'm going to put it on Patricia right now. They're forcing backshoulder deep routes every time he's in there. Run that 8-yard slant with him, it's uncoverable.

Yeah, Parker's game is 8-15 yd ins, outs, and slants across the middle. Patricia has Meyers doing those things right now.
Maybe some double crossers using both of them would shake things up a bit.

Back