Looking At The Patriots 2022

Mike McDaniel is an excellent coach, called it when he was signed. It’s not just because of Tyreek. Contrary to the Raiders who didn’t even try to use the strengths of Waller and Renfrow before injury, the Dolphins tailored their offense to their players and that’s a sign of a great coach like Mike McDaniel. With Daboll out of the division I expect the Bills to slowly decline and the Dolphins to be really great for a long time
Ive been very impressed with McDaniel. He gets it on every level. He has the team completely bought in.

Interesting. We are top five whatever the debate about who the best is at the moment. And all this without Barmore up the middle.

View: https://twitter.com/theMMQB/status/1594678263540072451

From that terrific article

Belichick isn’t just piling up numbers against some bad offenses. Ask around. If his defensive game plans were essays, half the league would fail a basic plagiarism checker, and those who aren’t still borrowing from his game plans are missing out on a good opportunity to make their teams better.

and...

when members of the opposing organization are so frustrated that they’re calling the offensive performance “dog s---” or so quickly and vehemently denying there is an offensive problem at all so as to avoid the hard conversation, that is Belichick’s ultimate effect. That is the core of his being as a coach and it will never go away. It is Belichick removed from Brady and whatever else he has done in his previous three decades. And it isn’t just the Jets, either. He can do this to anyone at any time. Somehow, on an annual basis, some of us manage to forget that.

All alone in 1st for defense.

FiGLfjQWIAMN4i1

All alone in 1st for defense.

FiGLfjQWIAMN4i1
Over the next 21 days we'll learn a lot more about this defense. We haven't faced teams that have true stud #1 WRs since week 1, really, and we haven't faced a QB who is a scary running threat since week 3, except Brisset I guess. Minnesota definitely has a stud WR, and Buffalo and Arizona both have both.

My guess is that we'll be pleasantly surprised at how well we do against a stud #1, but I'm less optimistic about handling Allen and Murray's legs and improvisation.

Next innovation will be a Jonnu/Mondre/Harris backfield, running a triple option out of a wishbone. Or maybe a Mondre/Meyers/Bowden backfield that is forcing the defense to respect the threat of a pass from one of the WR/QBs.

Seriously, from a leverage/scheme perspective that doesn't look all that hard to deal with. Best thing it has going for it is probably that it's perfectly balanced, which puts pressure on the defense to some extent.

Next innovation will be a Jonnu/Mondre/Harris backfield, running a triple option out of a wishbone. Or maybe a Mondre/Meyers/Bowden backfield that is forcing the defense to respect the threat of a pass from one of the WR/QBs.

Seriously, from a leverage/scheme perspective that doesn't look all that hard to deal with. Best thing it has going for it is probably that it's perfectly balanced, which puts pressure on the defense to some extent.
my thought is it helps with blocking also

as far as the Pats D, I'm going to have to see them do it over the rest of the season. Bills twice, Dolphins, Vikings (depending on what Vikes team shows up), Bengals, Cards (a running QB which we seem to have issues with). Raiders are a mess but McD will want to beat Pats more then anything.... it would make his season.

With that schedule D is going to have to be as good as we want to think they are, and the offense has to get it together. Jets might be the toughest D they play against rest of the year, but the Bills and Phin's are good.... and TBH not sure where most of the others rank.

The rest of the season will put these BB fluff pieces to the test.
Zack Wilson will be a backup next year. They’ve been playing the worst teams in the NFL for over a month.

Back