Looking At The Patriots 2022

View: https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1537120551113744384

FVT1LI0XwAAZGGw

Bruh. Jules. You are missing a knee.

Unless Jack Jones becomes an impact starter, the Patriots’ cornerback group is worrisome. Mills and Mitchell aren’t complete liabilities, but they aren’t shutting down anyone either. Mac Jones tore this cornerback group apart all week.

Not at all surprising... :coffee:
Or…..

Maybe Mac and his WR group are better than we realize.

1655380953881.png

i bet he'd be great. though...he could earn a lot more with all his media stuff, etc. probably.
Correct. There's no probably about it. Position coaches work really long hours, just about all of it behind the scenes and the compensation doesn't remotely compare to media money. I'm reminded of those who cavalierly suggest that Hoyer should just retire as a player and become a QB coach. The difference between Hoyer's player salary and his coach salary would be more than significant, not to mention he'd be giving up player union benefits such as health insurance for his family, etc. If I'm a fringe player, I hang on as long as I possibly can.

Unless Jack Jones becomes an impact starter, the Patriots’ cornerback group is worrisome. Mills and Mitchell aren’t complete liabilities, but they aren’t shutting down anyone either. Mac Jones tore this cornerback group apart all week.

Not at all surprising... :coffee:
Well, the good news is, since Mac has totally peaked, the D should catch up shortly: :coffee:

Correct. There's no probably about it. Position coaches work really long hours, just about all of it behind the scenes and the compensation doesn't remotely compare to media money. I'm reminded of those who cavalierly suggest that Hoyer should just retire as a player and become a QB coach. The difference between Hoyer's player salary and his coach salary would be more than significant, not to mention he'd be giving up player union benefits such as health insurance for his family, etc. If I'm a fringe player, I hang on as long as I possibly can.
Hoyer was most likely the real QB coach for the last few years. His skills aren't there, but, you can tell that he's smart about the game.

Last edited:
3 draft picks remain unsigned: Cole Strange, Tyquan Thornton, and Bailey Zappe. BB has to create cap space to sign them.

The Pats have the 2nd most cap available in 2023 and the 3rd most cap available (as of now) in 2024.

SeasonTotal LiabilitiesCap Space
2022$208,407,782$1,762,440
2023$156,770,315$68,229,685
2024$85,159,068$170,840,932
2025$7,485,325($7,485,325)

New England Patriots Salary Cap Calculator | Over The Cap​

My best guess is Wynn could get traded if the opportunity comes up.
I agree that Bill is keeping an eye on 2023, but is also trying to give this team a puncher's chance.

I'm almost certain that either Agholor or Wynn will be traded and perhaps Jones depending on how things shake out at CB. Then they will extend players that they like such as Henry and Bourne. They can reasonably and organically (without borrowing) create 17 to 23 million in cap space, which would cover expenses for the year as well as give them a little bit of spending money to shore up weak spots on the roster.

Last edited:
My best guess is Wynn could get traded if the opportunity comes up.

Fits into the move to RT. You want continuity at LT, so you move the player you anticipate will be on the roster in September (Brown) to LT, and kick Wynn to RT.

Pick 6 then you may have to drop another one before the rosters are set.
Mike already picked the top 5 in order so this should be a cakewalk.
For me as of right now the 6th will be up to Tre Nixon and Christian Wilkerson to decide during TC unless another good veteran is added between now and then.
One thing I know is that our WR room is a lot better than in the previous 2 years.

View: https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1537783478376439808

Pick 6 then you may have to drop another one before the rosters are set.
Mike already picked the top 5 in order so this should be a cakewalk.
For me as of right now the 6th will be up to Tre Nixon and Christian Wilkerson to decide during TC unless another good veteran is added between now and then.
One thing I know is that our WR room is a lot better than in the previous 2 years.

View: https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1537783478376439808

So you don’t see Ty Montgomery sticking with the patriots? Or do you see him as a running back?

Back