Looking At The Patriots 2022

Jim Carrey Chance GIF
HAHA!!! Perfect response :toast:

Maybe with White retiring? Does that free up any cap space? :shrug-n2:
New England increases its cap space. White’s retirement also has a financial impact on the Patriots: according to Miguel Benzan, their salary cap space will increase by $405,000 and is now at $5.48 million. His spot on the Top-51 list, meanwhile, will go to wide receiver Lil’Jordan Humphrey. Additionally, New England’s cap space in 2023 also went up by $1.63 million.

From Doug Kyed, PFF

PATRIOTS WR NELSON AGHOLOR A TRADE CANDIDATE?

Entering the spring, the New England Patriots were viewed as an attractive landing spot for a veteran wide receiver. Not so much now.

The Patriots currently have five wide receivers taking regular first-team reps with starting quarterback Mac Jones and the top offensive line in Jakobi Meyers, Kendrick Bourne, Nelson Agholor, DeVante Parker and rookie Tyquan Thornton. Even recently it appeared that Thornton was a tier below Meyers, Bourne, Agholor and Parker, but a team source told PFF that the Patriots believe the rookie has earned first-team reps, and they’d like to see how he responds to the increased workload.

If Thornton proves himself with more reps in the first-team offense, then New England simply has too many high-priced wide receivers, especially since they’re expected to deploy more packages in 12 personnel with two wide receivers and two tight ends on the field. The Patriots invested heavily in tight ends Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith in free agency last offseason.

A source close to the situation expects one of the Patriots’ veteran wide receivers to be traded or released, and that source believes Agholor is the prime candidate. Agholor counts for $14.9 million against the salary cap this season. New England would save $9.9 million by trading him and $4.9 million by cutting him. The cap-strapped Patriots could save money by cutting or trading their other veteran receivers, as well. Doing so with DeVante Parker would save $6.1 million, with Bourne would save $5 million and with Meyers would save $4 million.

The team is optimistic about Agholor's progress this offseason after a disappointing first year in the system, however. The Patriots believe schematic changes to the offense have allowed him to play faster in training camp, and he's been productive through two weeks.

We reached out to one personnel executive of a wide receiver-needy team who didn’t believe the Patriots would be able to trade Agholor’s contract. A team acquiring Agholor via trade would take on his $9 million base salary. That same source believed the Patriots would hold onto Agholor at his current cap hit if he was one of the team’s best six wide receivers, which he undoubtedly is. New England does have proficient depth at the position. Kristian Wilkerson, Tre Nixon and Lil’Jordan Humphrey all are young players who have not looked out of place on an NFL practice field this summer. Ty Montgomery has primarily worked at running back this summer but has experience at wide receiver, as well.

The Patriots might only truly have 2.5 starting wide receivers this season if they play half of their snaps with either two tight ends or two running backs on the field. Barring injury, one or two of these wide receivers — Meyers, Bourne, Parker, Agholor or Thornton — will be buried on the depth chart. New England has just over $5 million in cap space, according to Patriots salary cap expert Miguel Benzan.

Nothing appears imminent with New England moving on from a wide receiver, and it’s worth seeing if the group can stay healthy through the summer. But cutting or trading a wideout could create valuable cap space for the Patriots to use during the season. As it stands, the Bears, Carolina Panthers, Baltimore Ravens, Tennessee Titans and Dallas Cowboys could use help at wide receiver.

At the post game presser, BB said that they are going through the process with both Matty P and Joe Judge calling plays.
One of the Patriots.com guys speculates that means that both Matty P and Judge want the OC job.

At the post game presser, BB said that they are going through the process with both Matty P and Joe Judge calling plays.
One of the Patriots.com guys speculates that means that both Matty P and Judge want the OC job.
It's literally all they talked about on the postgame show. Like, seriously, can we talk about anything else?

BB wants the guy who thinks the most like he does. When push comes to shove, when there's a big play, you can bet BB will jump in and call the play.

I'm good with how our guys played overall. Good efforts all around. As Tommy said, it was our 2s against their 1s then our 3s against their 2s then our 4s against their 2s and 3s.
Ty Thornton impressed me with his blocking on run plays. On pass plays a Giant DB held him every time but he still made plays. Hoyer's arm isn't strong enough to hit TT in stride on vertical plays & he badly under threw TT on the first vertical route. TT's speed showed in the game. So did his football smarts on his TD. I like. Wilkerson and Nixon both showed improvement.

At this rate Agholor could be gone by trade or outright cut with his huge salary but I need to see Agholor play to assess his improvement reporters have talked about during TC. I'm not convinced we need him at this point and we'd gain almost $5M in cap if he's cut. I'd trade the dead money incurred to gain cap for a chance to sign Trey Flowers after game 1. I need to see Agholor in next week's game. Decision time is coming up.

View: https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1557874516277305346

BB wants the guy who thinks the most like he does. When push comes to shove, when there's a big play, you can bet BB will jump in and call the play.

I'm good with how our guys played overall. Good efforts all around. As Tommy said, it was our 2s against their 1s then our 3s against their 2s then our 4s against their 2s and 3s.
Ty Thornton impressed me with his blocking on run plays. On pass plays a Giant DB held him every time but he still made plays. Hoyer's arm isn't strong enough to hit TT in stride on vertical plays & he badly under threw TT on the first vertical route. TT's speed showed in the game. So did his football smarts on his TD. I like. Wilkerson and Nixon both showed improvement.

At this rate Agholor could be gone by trade or outright cut with his huge salary but I need to see Agholor play to assess his improvement reporters have talked about during TC. I'm not convinced we need him at this point and we'd gain almost $5M in cap if he's cut. I'd trade the dead money incurred to gain cap for a chance to sign Trey Flowers after game 1. I need to see Agholor in next week's game. Decision time is coming up.

I don't want to make a 'Tyquan Thornton is our WR1' thread after 2 catches for 9 yards, yet, but I was tempted. :coffee:

I don't want to make a 'Tyquan Thornton is our WR1' thread after 2 catches for 9 yards, yet, but I was tempted. :coffee:
You don't have to. After watching his very limited activity last night, anyone who claims he sucks and will always suck, either knows shit about football or is willfully being a contrarian douchebag. Forgive my language. On second thought, don't...

I think Wilkerson is ahead of Nixon based on last night. Love the way TT snatches the ball on receptions. It's remarkably better than the other wrs.
Zappe throws a lot of under thrown balls. He'll have to improve on that.. I'm sure he makes the 53.

I think Wilkerson is ahead of Nixon based on last night. Love the way TT snatches the ball on receptions. It's remarkably better than the other wrs.
Zappe throws a lot of under thrown balls. He'll have to improve on that.. I'm sure he makes the 53.
I really want to see Wilkerson, Nixon, and TT with Mac passing to them along with the WR we already know will be on the 53. This could well be one of if not the best WR groups the Patriots have had under BB.

I really want to see Wilkerson, Nixon, and TT with Mac passing to them along with the WR we already know will be on the 53. This could well be one of if not the best WR groups the Patriots have had under BB.
From your mouth . . .

Well, there was that Moss/Welker/Stallworth/Gaffney/Brown crew. They were pretty, pretty good.

Back