Looking At The Patriots 2022

How to know if you're kind of an a$$hole:
People make clear that there is a thing they care about, and you go out of your way to make it sound ridiculous that anyone could possibly care about that thing.

To be fair, he also thinks that that the Patriots will only lose without Brady, so clearly he enjoys being a Negative Nancy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

How to know if you're kind of an a$$hole:
People make clear that there is a thing they care about, and you go out of your way to make it sound ridiculous that anyone could possibly care about that thing.
Some people like being an asshole. Not sure why they like spreading rancor. Must subscribe to a philosophy/religion that doesn't subscribe to a Final Accounting/Karma...

Two kinds of people in the world. When one kind dies, the collective consciousness of the planet sighs sadly, "Aw, that's one person I'm really going to miss.

The one you're talking about (I don't see a Post #2239 so I have them on ignore and don't know who it is), the planet sighs with relief, "Whew, could hardly wait for that asshole to leave."

Quite a legacy....

I'll always love the red unis. they were the prominent Patriot uni when I first started supporting the team when my family went on vacation to Cape Cod back in 1983 when I was a young lad. I'll always love that pat Patriot logo!

qocaakoloipsql0lf4o8

Just shows what a horrible coach/GM Belichick is, that he mismanaged the team so badly that a nobody like Guy was the best we got. Sad. smh

Fixed yer post.

Barmore is the best we've got. Lawrence has been an excellent, and highly underrated, Patriot for years now, but the kid is the future. Giving him more
snaps this season is a certainty and any offense that doesn't double him will pay for it. He's going to be one of the top DLs in the league and likely
this year assuming reasonable health.

Of course, to your point, Bill drafted him, so, yes, he's a scrub GM.

BB3.jpg

8. They said it: "High performance, I think we mistake what that actually looks like in the NFL. New England is a massive outlier -- [playing in] nine Super Bowls in 18 years; that will never be done again. ... You think about the great pairs. I think New Orleans did an amazing job -- Sean Payton and Drew Brees. They went to one Super Bowl. You look at Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay, a well-run organization. One Super Bowl. Baltimore, with Ozzie and one of the best-run organizations -- two Super Bowls in the past 20. Making a Super Bowl is hard. Part of the struggle is we hold that as the ultimate goal. But building a winning culture can be year after year -- are you competitive?" -- Kevin Demoff, chief operating officer of the Los Angeles Rams, at the Ozzie Newsome GM Forum

Lynch's lesson: 49ers general manager John Lynch played for the Buccaneers (1993-2003) and Broncos (2004-07), then had a brief offseason stint with the Patriots (2008), and it was that last stop that he cited when speaking at the "Preparing for a GM interview" panel on Tuesday.

Lynch was discussing player development and the importance of having everyone on the same page when he said: "There has to be buy-in across the organization. It doesn't just stop at personnel and coaching. It's your trainers. Your strength coaches. Your engagement people. Your community people. It's a real holistic approach if you really want it to be successful, because you can learn from each person.
"[Players] get pulled in a lot of different directions; everyone wants to give them advice on their careers. But if you're not tethered, sometimes that can be a detriment ... and the approach can become scattered.
"That's the Patriots. Yeah, they had Tom Brady, and that made a difference. But there are little subtle things, and I got exposed to that. I never ended up playing for them that year because I retired, but I did see things like player development [being] at the core of their success. Everyone was speaking the same language and giving that player the same message."

Cornerback: New England Patriots — Jalen Mills vs. Malcolm Butler vs. Terrance Mitchell vs. Marcus Jones

The Patriots let J.C. Jackson walk in the offseason in a classic example of the team being unwilling to pay big bucks to retain one of its better players. Patriots head coach Bill Belichick has an outstanding track record of being proven right in those situations over the last 20 years, but it leaves the New England cornerback depth chart thin. Mills and Mitchell were the presumed starters, but the team has added Butler and Jones as competition.

Jones has phenomenal college tape, but at 5-foot-8 and 185 pounds, he is battling against a weight of history to even play on the outside as opposed to being immediately labeled a slot corner-only at this level. Jones allowed just 48.0% of passes thrown his way to be caught last season and finished his college career with 88.9 and 87.4 PFF coverage grades.

Butler is another example of a player who never matched what he did in New England once he left Belichick’s defense. His PFF coverage grade never came within 10 grading points of his 2016 career high (86.9).

Interior Defensive Line: Buffalo Bills — DaQuan Jones vs. Tim Settle vs. Jordan Phillips

If we assume Ed Oliver has a starting spot and a healthy volume of playing time locked up because he is stylistically unique among the Bills interior linemen, there is a significant battle brewing for the playing time outside of Oliver’s snaps. Buffalo’s run defense certainly had use for an upgrade up the middle, and the team focused on big, run-stuffing interior linemen this offseason.

Settle’s overall PFF grade has improved each season of his NFL career, but on a stacked Washington defense, he was only able to acumulate 1,023 snaps in four years. Settle still has youth on his side — he is just about to turn 25 years old — and has very little wear and tear after being kept so fresh. He has a chance to be a breakout player if he can show well in training camp.

Jones has posted solid PFF grades virtually every season of his career, and his run defense performances are even better than that. That run defense performance has been heading in the wrong direction over the last couple of years, but he still has the inside track for the starting spot until somebody else can unseat him.

Phillips had Bills fans excited with a 10-sack season a couple of years ago, but those 10 sacks represented more than a third of his total pressures that season and were never a good representation of his performance, as 54.4 and 62.7 overall PFF grades since then have shown a player with a much lower ceiling than that. He’ll have his work cut out to unseat either Jones or Settle.

Cornerback: New England Patriots — Jalen Mills vs. Malcolm Butler vs. Terrance Mitchell vs. Marcus Jones

The Patriots let J.C. Jackson walk in the offseason in a classic example of the team being unwilling to pay big bucks to retain one of its better players. Patriots head coach Bill Belichick has an outstanding track record of being proven right in those situations over the last 20 years, but it leaves the New England cornerback depth chart thin. Mills and Mitchell were the presumed starters, but the team has added Butler and Jones as competition.

Jones has phenomenal college tape, but at 5-foot-8 and 185 pounds, he is battling against a weight of history to even play on the outside as opposed to being immediately labeled a slot corner-only at this level. Jones allowed just 48.0% of passes thrown his way to be caught last season and finished his college career with 88.9 and 87.4 PFF coverage grades.

Butler is another example of a player who never matched what he did in New England once he left Belichick’s defense. His PFF coverage grade never came within 10 grading points of his 2016 career high (86.9).

Interior Defensive Line: Buffalo Bills — DaQuan Jones vs. Tim Settle vs. Jordan Phillips

If we assume Ed Oliver has a starting spot and a healthy volume of playing time locked up because he is stylistically unique among the Bills interior linemen, there is a significant battle brewing for the playing time outside of Oliver’s snaps. Buffalo’s run defense certainly had use for an upgrade up the middle, and the team focused on big, run-stuffing interior linemen this offseason.

Settle’s overall PFF grade has improved each season of his NFL career, but on a stacked Washington defense, he was only able to acumulate 1,023 snaps in four years. Settle still has youth on his side — he is just about to turn 25 years old — and has very little wear and tear after being kept so fresh. He has a chance to be a breakout player if he can show well in training camp.

Jones has posted solid PFF grades virtually every season of his career, and his run defense performances are even better than that. That run defense performance has been heading in the wrong direction over the last couple of years, but he still has the inside track for the starting spot until somebody else can unseat him.

Phillips had Bills fans excited with a 10-sack season a couple of years ago, but those 10 sacks represented more than a third of his total pressures that season and were never a good representation of his performance, as 54.4 and 62.7 overall PFF grades since then have shown a player with a much lower ceiling than that. He’ll have his work cut out to unseat either Jones or Settle.
Interestingly, no mention of Jack Jones.

Lynch was discussing player development and the importance of having everyone on the same page when he said: "There has to be buy-in across the organization. It doesn't just stop at personnel and coaching. It's your trainers. Your strength coaches. Your engagement people. Your community people. It's a real holistic approach if you really want it to be successful, because you can learn from each person.
"[Players] get pulled in a lot of different directions; everyone wants to give them advice on their careers. But if you're not tethered, sometimes that can be a detriment ... and the approach can become scattered.
"That's the Patriots. Yeah, they had Tom Brady, and that made a difference. But there are little subtle things, and I got exposed to that. I never ended up playing for them that year because I retired, but I did see things like player development [being] at the core of their success. Everyone was speaking the same language and giving that player the same message."
And that's why people who see football as if it is building a fantasy football team just don't get it. They get upset when BB lets some good, great, and elite players leave or cut/trade them. Pioli said it back 20 years ago: "We're not collecting talented players, we're building a football team."

And that's how they stay competitive. I'm glad we got Mac Jones, but deep down I believe we'd be fine with Mills (don't tell Muse I said that)

Back