Looking At The Patriots 2022

It could be a statistical quirk. Quite the quirk that results in 766 snaps with no TDs yielded. That's no as to dismiss out of hand as a quirk, and whatever liability he has in giving up yards, his liability in coverage stops at giving up points, something no other Pats LB has done in this time frame.

Or it could be that data is conflicting with how you have decided he is in coverage and thus are rejecting the data as nonvalid.

He isn't my favorite LB either, but there must be some reason the Pats just resigned him to another 2 year deal while letting other LBs walk.

He isn't as bad as he looks and he isn't as good as the stat suggests.

He is younger and cheaper than HT/KVN.

He is a leader in the locker room. We know how BB values those guys.

It could be a statistical quirk. Quite the quirk that results in 766 snaps with no TDs yielded. That's no as to dismiss out of hand as a quirk, and whatever liability he has in giving up yards, his liability in coverage stops at giving up points, something no other Pats LB has done in this time frame.

Or it could be that data is conflicting with how you have decided he is in coverage and thus are rejecting the data as nonvalid.

He isn't my favorite LB either, but there must be some reason the Pats just resigned him to another 2 year deal while letting other LBs walk.
I admit that it conflicts with my assessment. On the other hand, it's a really specific metric of a single aspect of the results of coverage with very small sample sizes in terms of 1s instead of 0s - even for the worst coverage linebackers you're presumably talking about maybe a 1% rate of TDs assessed against them specifically out of total coverage snaps. That means it's particularly subject to quirkiness, because specific circumstances changing even 1 snap from a TD to no TD moves the needle a significantly.

And there are a ton of impactful factors like hiding people in coverage, quality of (and help from) the safeties, and defensive scheme and structure, especially in the high-leverage situations near the goal line. This matters even more because there are so few TDs as a percentage. At the beginning of last year, if PFF had focused on Meyers as being a horrible WR because he hadn't scored any touchdowns, we would have called BS on that, right? We'd say that's not how he's been used, he adds value in other places, etc.

Bentley has value, and it's a credit to the coaching staff that he's usually put in a position to leverage his strengths rather than have his weaknesses exploited, especially as an interior LB.

All that said, having not even 1 TD allowed is quite a statistic, and I can reassess. It's not important enough to me that I'm going to pull up film specifically for this, but I'll make a point of focusing on his coverage when I'm watching.

Sure, but most defensive schemes are not explicitly removing the ILBs coverage responsibilities in red zone defenses. And realistically the Patriots also built the scheme from the personnel forward to cover receiving TEs with safeties rather than LBs.

Look, admittedly I could be reverting to my prior conceptions here. I guess I'd want to see how many long-YAC TDs and deep passes to TEs are "charged" against coverage other coverage LBs vs how many are TD passes from the red zone. But what my eyes tell me are that his coverage responsibilities are almost exclusively limited to curl and hook zones, and occasionally man coverage of TEs that aren't exactly world-beaters out on their routes. Even when he picks up crossing patterns in what looks like man coverage, he seems to drop them when they vacate the middle - presumably the design of that specific man/zone scheme.

I just don't see a coverage linebacker. At absolute best I see someone who is barely out of the range of "liability in coverage." Thus, that looks like a statistical quirk based on situational variables to me.

They said he was in coverage for 766 snaps. No TDs. I take that at face value but that's just me I guess.

Last year,
Bentley had 2 passed defensed
Van Noy 10
High 1
Collins 3
JC Jackson 23

Without looking who had more PDs, Philips or Dugger?

The AFC East is the only division with two teams on there.
Lol and the Phins are the only team who didn’t get a super bowl win out of it.

The AFC East is the only division with two teams on there.
Lol and the Phins are the only team who didn’t get a super bowl win out of it.
Actually it's a top 10 list, and you have to click on it to see teams 5 and 10.

#5 is the Broncos, which gives the AFC West two teams, and #10 is the Vikings, which gives the NFC North two teams.

Back