Looking At The Patriots 2022

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Patriots’ DT Davon Godchaux has signed a two-year, $20.8 million extension with New England that includes $17.85 million fully guaranteed at signing, per@DrewJRosenhaus and@RyanMatha
, who negotiated the deal.

This is surprising. Was he playing a little injured last year? I didn't see 10m/year play.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Patriots’ DT Davon Godchaux has signed a two-year, $20.8 million extension with New England that includes $17.85 million fully guaranteed at signing, per@DrewJRosenhaus and@RyanMatha
, who negotiated the deal.
I agree with you...kinda crazy.

In a Lazar podcast from last week or so he stated that before Karras was inserted at left guard he thought Onwenhu played poorly regarding his interaction with Wynn. Which dovetails with Big Mike's transition to back up.
First time I heard someone make that statement that correlated with the coaching assessment.

In a Lazar podcast from last week or so he stated that before Karras was inserted at left guard he thought Onwenhu played poorly regarding his interaction with Wynn. Which dovetails with Big Mike's transition to back up.
First time I heard someone make that statement that correlated with the coaching assessment.

It's hard for me to fathom why Onwenu had problems with Wynn given what he has shown thus far. I feel like it's a waste of time to try to make a guard out of him given his superb rookie season
at RT. Why not just play him outside and let him become a dominant force? He's not slow, but the pulling and nimble footwork required at Guard would not seem to be his strong suit, which is caving in the man opposite him. His pass-blocking at RT was much better than you'd expect for a rookie late round selection and I can't see any reason why he couldn't improve. The guys blows people off the line as well as anybody in the league, is assignment sound and yet he we are dicking around with him. I don't get it.

Between Wynn and two young players, Desjarlais and Hines, who would appear to have genuine potential to me, I don't think Right Guard is nearly the trouble spot that RT will be if
we try to stick Justin Herron (square peg) in the round hole of RT. Herron has simply been awful at RT. Inadequate. He's better on the left side, but might never be beefy enough to
anchor. The first rule of blocking club is don't get rolled backwards like you're on skates. I saw only marginal improvement in Herron's strength in his 2nd year. If he doesn't make a significant
jump this year then I think he's probably a lost cause and we should move on. Just my amateur opinion.

I think we have quite a ways to go to settle things up front and there will likely be some significant churn to find who fits where, but I don't pretend to understand why the organization would
not have been thrilled to hand Onwenu the RT job for the next few years and watch him develop into one of the top guys in the league. We might as well, because in two years somebody else is going to pay him big money to play RT for them.

I expect the OL to be problematic into the early weeks of the schedule, but feel that the overall talent level is better than it's been in a while. I sincerely hope that Billy Yates is a better coach
than he was a player here. Since Dante Scar retired it's been a bit chaotic and the players will need a strong hand on the tiller moving forward.

This is surprising. Was he playing a little injured last year? I didn't see 10m/year play.

I thought he started slowly, but improved quite a bit over the latter weeks. Still, the extension was surprising to me. A lot of people decided that he
sucked early on and that was that, but I believed the interior LBs were a bigger problem in locking down the middle.

Why am I putting this here?

View: https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1554566046123696131

Because by signing IDL Adam Butler the Dolphins canceled out a 5th round 2022 compensatory pick for the departure of IDL Davon Godchaux to New England and because Godchaux just signed a two year extension with the Patriots. BB called Godchaux one of the best DTs in the league. Chess; checkers.

Why am I putting this here?

View: https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1554566046123696131

Because by signing IDL Adam Butler the Dolphins canceled out a 5th round 2022 compensatory pick for the departure of IDL Davon Godchaux to New England and because Godchaux just signed a two year extension with the Patriots. BB called Godchaux one of the best DTs in the league. Chess; checkers.

BB plays the compensatory formula like a Stradivarius (while the rest of the league beats on a log drum with a wooden club). It amazes me that the league hasn't done away with the whole process already.

This is something to consider and keep in the back pocket of our memory when we play against Buffalo the first time on Dec. 1. 47 points won't happen again.

View: https://twitter.com/DanKelley66/status/1554838074852626432

I still don't understand teh over the top Buffalo love. Best in the NFL? They won their division by one game, and most of the good teams they played they lost to. They are the 2008 Patriots (who, by the way, amassed a better record). I mean, they're good and will certainly compete for the AFCE, but I wouldn't be building a place to hang a superbowl banner just yet if I were them.

I still don't understand teh over the top Buffalo love. Best in the NFL? They won their division by one game, and most of the good teams they played they lost to. They are the 2008 Patriots (who, by the way, amassed a better record). I mean, they're good and will certainly compete for the AFCE, but I wouldn't be building a place to hang a superbowl banner just yet if I were them.
Agreed. I know it was Mahomes and KC, but the defense they played in that game, and in OT particularly, was horrendous. Our D was awful against them in our playoff loss, but theirs against KC was at least as bad. They were 11-6. And, they lost to the Jaguar for crissakes. They deserve to be division favorites, no doubt. But, the unbridled fellating of them is way over the top. They're still the f###### Bills...

Agreed. I know it was Mahomes and KC, but the defense they played in that game, and in OT particularly, was horrendous. Our D was awful against them in our playoff loss, but theirs against KC was at least as bad. They were 11-6. And, they lost to the Jaguar for crissakes. They deserve to be division favorites, no doubt. But, the unbridled fellating of them is way over the top. They're still the f###### Bills...

They certainly ain't all that. we were our first year with a new rookie QB and a changed team and yet were a hairsbreadth away from winning the division. We shouldn't have been near them when you look at their roster with one of the best QBs in the league, 4 years into his Bills career.

Back