Looking At The Patriots 2022

At the risk of sounding ridiculous...

Is there too much depth in the offensive skill positions? I mean, being able to absorb the inevitable injuries with quality depth who are basically as good as your starters is great, of course. But until that happens are you hurting the rhythm, explosiveness, and continuity of the offense by not being able to focus snaps and touches with your "top" few guys?

To illustrate, I have Meyers with 100% of offensive snaps yesterday, and Humphrey beating out Bourne. At TE, Smith saw more snaps than Henry, and Stevenson more than Harris at RB. If I had suggested those two weeks ago, all but maybe the last one would have been met with much head scratching and hand-wringing, no?

Or maybe the idea is that the chemistry will develop at different rates, but by the end of the year you've developed a deep well of connections that everyone trusts and feels good about.

I do know that having so many weapons doesn't help that much if the QB locks in on a couple of them. Hopefully the OL can make Mac feel comfortable so he can get back to scanning the field and just going to the open man again.

It’s not ridiculous. It was unnecessary (and a waste of cap) to overload at WR and SS. Parker and Peppers are unnecessary. Agholor is a better deep threat and aggressive jump ball WR. Parker is NKeal 2.0, no fight for the ball, and is worse than 4 other WRs on the team. And the team has a half dozen strong safeties and only 1 aging free safety in DMac.

Groh will get the hang of it once he gets more experience as the guy and how to prioritize cap. Dunno if Parker was his idea (heard it might have been Fatt Matt). I’m also watching how much the team misses Ernie Adams, it was a significant loss of brainpower when he left

At this point, at least on the two ints, I can't blame him for: The Miami Int he was being interfered with and just couldn't go get the ball.....The one yesterday it was a bad throw/read by Jones
True, but, it seems like he's not very interested in getting the ball. His 50/50 is more like 0/100 so far...

It’s not ridiculous. It was unnecessary (and a waste of cap) to overload at WR and SS. Parker and Peppers are unnecessary. Agholor is a better deep threat and aggressive jump ball WR. Parker is NKeal 2.0, no fight for the ball, and is worse than 4 other WRs on the team. And the team has a half dozen strong safeties and only 1 aging free safety in DMac.

Groh will get the hang of it once he gets more experience as the guy and how to prioritize cap. Dunno if Parker was his idea (heard it might have been Fatt Matt). I’m also watching how much the team misses Ernie Adams, it was a significant loss of brainpower when he left

From whom did you hear Parker might have been Patricia's idea? Since you reference hearing something in your post, presumably you could be a bit more specific and identify who or what the person's role is who suggested that.

As for the Peppers gripe, dude came in for Dugger and was huge in that game. Had two or three critical open-field tackles, adds athleticism and physicality to the box, can spy QBs. I agree they have a lot of depth at box-safety, but a game like Sunday's proves that's not a bad thing. Defensive speed and athleticism in MoF was huge need this past offseason and I was glad to see them make multiple attempts to address it (Peppers, Wilson).

BB seemed to have an admiration for Parker during his Doofins stay. BB might have wanted him actually...hopefully Parker can pick it up.

Really? Peppers looked excellent Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It's a little too early to say Parker is a waste. Maybe when Thorton get back, Parker can go back to running the routes that he did in Miami
Excellent point. He isn't really being used the way he was in Miami when he was so successful.

From Mike Reiss

FdF6nZyWQAM1puR

FdF6nZzWYAELQRn

It's a little too early to say Parker is a waste. Maybe when Thorton get back, Parker can go back to running the routes that he did in Miami
Plus, we haven't seen the toll that injuries will take yet. Depth is always partially like buying insurance. Whichever WR(s) you consider starter/depth, it's always a nice problem to have early in the year...and usually something you are thanking your GM for (or cursing him for not having) later in the year.

It's a big part of why Patriots teams historically get stronger as the year goes on. Part of it is coaching and player development, yes. But the other part is that a team with good depth gets stronger relative to teams with crappy depth the farther you go into the attrition of a season.

In our case it's especially nice because, while we can't put everyone on the field at the same time, they all have dramatically different skill sets that coaches can leverage to hunt matchups early in the year, and as pure depth later as injuries pile up.

Back